Author Topic: Karrimor. Are they getting better?  (Read 4097 times)

Ronin83

Karrimor. Are they getting better?
« on: 09:41:01, 08/09/18 »
Is it me or are karrimor(sports direct) getting better?
Their boots seem to be looking more high end if you check out their website.
They have many models now with vibram soles and event waterproof lining.

They do seem to copy higher brands with look though.

These Look like Salomons...
https://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-ksb-jaguar-event-mens-walking-boots-182762?colcode=18276203

Lowa renegades...
https://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-ksb-brecon-high-mens-walking-boots-182414?colcode=18241405

A full leather boot with vibram soles and waterproof lining...
https://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-orkney-walking-boots-182061?colcode=18206105

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: Karrimor. Are they getting better?
« Reply #1 on: 10:47:09, 08/09/18 »
Their still aimed at the budget end of the market, and however well made their products are, they have to be made with a cost issue in mind.

I can remember Karrimor back in the late 1970s and 80s, when their gear was very top end, especially their ruck sacks.

Reinhold Messner used a 65L Karrimor Alpiniste ruck sac, when he did his solo ascent of Everest, and it was the sack of choice for most of the high altitude climbers back in those days.

Somehow i cannot see an Everest expedition heading off to their local Sports Direct to buy their gear.

It was a real shame that the original Karrimor company went out of business, and full credit to Sports direct for saving the brand, but it no longer represents the highest quality gear available.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:52:55, 08/09/18 »
I've not had any problems with Karrimor. I use their merino base layers, their hiking poles, merino socks , hiking trews and a couple of dry bags. All reasonably made and durable.
As for boots well I bought a pair of something  or other when I got back into hiking a few years ago and before I knew how to test boots for fit. They took my toe nails off, not the fault of the boot  they were too small for the long hikes.
Relegated to the allotment They have stood up to that type of wear and tear. They get bent a lot when kneeling,  the soles get hammered on the spade when digging. Still waterproof and never yet cleaned, as far as make quality  is concerned they are good. Not my favourites but good.
The problem I have with their boots is getting a decent fit in the shop. I don't mind paying to get them delivered to a shop as they give you a voucher to the same value. But it's the clarting about I don't like.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Ronin83

« Reply #3 on: 11:31:21, 08/09/18 »
Their still aimed at the budget end of the market, and however well made their products are, they have to be made with a cost issue in mind.

I can remember Karrimor back in the late 1970s and 80s, when their gear was very top end, especially their ruck sacks.

Reinhold Messner used a 65L Karrimor Alpiniste ruck sac, when he did his solo ascent of Everest, and it was the sack of choice for most of the high altitude climbers back in those days.

Somehow i cannot see an Everest expedition heading off to their local Sports Direct to buy their gear.

It was a real shame that the original Karrimor company went out of business, and full credit to Sports direct for saving the brand, but it no longer represents the highest quality gear available.

Yeh you can still get karrimorSF stuff which is what karrimor used to be. That gear is top end, but not very available. I think its more for military maybe

Troggy

« Reply #4 on: 17:51:07, 08/09/18 »
Well, they're not bad at all. I've got a couple of Karrimor fleece jackets that have served me well for a couple of years, a decent waterproof, though I wouldn't say it was for all day walking in wild weather, it's great for local walks for a couple of hours and the walking shoes I've got were just over £30, decent soles, comfortable and last well. They're "weatherproof" but I'm not too bothered about waterproof shoes/boots. All in all, they've got a lot of decent gear that anyone who has a tight budget and wants to go walking/camping, could kit themselves out with the basics.
I've still got a couple of Karrimor ultrafleece jackets that were bought sometime ago, I think it was the early 80's, and they're still in good nick. 

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:55:31, 08/09/18 »

You're probably right!  However, for normal people just starting out on their walking addiction in the general countryside then these cheaper high street brands are perfectly fine - particularly whilst they find out what type of walking they like doing - no point in spending a fortune for it to just sit in a wardrobe if they decide walking isn't for them  O0

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:06:33, 08/09/18 »
... no point in spending a fortune for it to just sit in a wardrobe ...

Strangely that reminds me of someone, thommen altimeter anyone  ;D
Where there's a will ...

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 00:40:58, 09/09/18 »
I still have original karrimor gear including a great ruck sack bought in 1981.  I also buy the modern walking shoes from Sports direct and find them very good quality and value for money. O0

Ronin83

« Reply #8 on: 01:17:04, 09/09/18 »
I did get a pair of their boots a few years ago as a kind of second pair and a bit of an experiment. They were uncomfortable and had a lump underneath the insole. I think if it weren't for that, they might be alright.
Ive also had a pair of cheap hi tech fabric boots which were waterproof and comfy, but the soles wore out in 6 months of mild use, so it seems the main issue with cheapos is durability

Troggy

« Reply #9 on: 22:54:17, 09/09/18 »
Have you tried any lately? I agree with buzyg about the walking shoes, I've had good wear out of my walking shoes, and have just bought another pair for £32. If they're anything like as good as previous pairs, I'll get a couple of years wear out of them. Obviously the length of time would depend on how far and on what terrain in what weather, you use them; But any pair that have cost me  2 or 3 times more have not lasted any longer. As for comfor, they've caused no discomfort at all...until my toe started giving me gyp. But I don't mind taking some alteration work to the toe area on them, as they're dead cheap anyway.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 00:03:25, 12/09/18 »
I've found the cheap walking shoes to be pretty awful. I got some for mountain biking mostly and they're bizarrely cold. I don't even know how they do it but my feet freeze in them in colder weather even when trainers would be fine. Weird.  And they become uncomfortable quite quickly as I started to feel the sole construction coming through the innersoles.

But a mate has a pair of KSB boots which he rates quite highly.

If I can avoid giving Mr Mike Ashley any of my money I do but their dominance of the cheap sports market makes that difficult sometimes, as a parent anyway. Horrible company Sports Direct.

PeterWul

« Reply #11 on: 21:40:50, 29/03/21 »
I bought a pair of Karrimor Journey boots because they had Vibram soles and were waterproof lined inside and seemed to promise good quality.  That was a good start but they piked on the thread quality, the cheapest part of the boot, but when that fails it all turns to sh**.  Four months in of daily use to walk the dog and I have extensive thread failure on all areas where separate segments of leather are joined.  Not just a few, but in most places.  These are a load of junk, basically not fit for purpose.  I would never recommend anything from Sports Direct again and as I always vote with my feet, I will never reward them with my business again.  As you sow (or maybe sew), so shall you reap.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 09:50:38, 30/03/21 »
I bought a pair of Karrimor Journey boots because they had Vibram soles and were waterproof lined inside and seemed to promise good quality.  That was a good start but they piked on the thread quality, the cheapest part of the boot, but when that fails it all turns to sh**.  Four months in of daily use to walk the dog and I have extensive thread failure on all areas where separate segments of leather are joined.  Not just a few, but in most places.  These are a load of junk, basically not fit for purpose.  I would never recommend anything from Sports Direct again and as I always vote with my feet, I will never reward them with my business again.  As you sow (or maybe sew), so shall you reap.

Maybe if you had done an online search before buying you would have found this thread from 2018 and other even older ones, as well as similar comments in other discussion groups and review sites.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 15:17:09, 30/03/21 »
Give the guy a break, fernman - he has only just joined, and is giving us useful information.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 15:21:53, 30/03/21 »

Welcome to the forum, Peter.  :)

Yes, shame how a once great brand has fallen so low. I still have a Karrimat from the early 1980's - seemingly indestructible, and my Karrimor Jaguar 65 litre rucksack, also from the '80's, is still going strong; my 'go to' rucksack for wild camping.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy