Author Topic: Lyme Disease  (Read 3559 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Lyme Disease
« on: 10:46:01, 08/09/18 »
I live in Hampshire and the county evidently has a problem with Lyme Disease. I presume other counties have similar problems. I know someone who contracted the disease about 5 years ago whilst camping in the New Forest and has still not recovered.

To try to be 'safe' I no longer wear shorts when hiking, never hike topless or wander around camp sites topless, (some people do, I've seen them) and I always wear long sleeves. I can't think of anything else thats worth doing.

Also saw this today - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-45443748

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: Lyme Disease
« Reply #1 on: 10:57:56, 08/09/18 »
I use light gaiters and carry a tick removal tool.

A mate got it and is still seriously suffering today more than ten years later.I am (probably unnecessarily ) paranoid about the bleeding things. (Also bed bugs in hostals )
Too little, too late, too bad......

roughyed

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:06:41, 08/09/18 »
Not sure long trousers and shirts will actually do that much tbh.  They will happily crawl up inside.

Unless you treat your clothes (or buy them pretreated) with permethrin (or some such), you might be getting a false sense of protection?

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:31:25, 08/09/18 »
Smidge stopped me getting any ticks last time I was walking and wild camping in sheep country - except when I didn't apply it.
If I didn't get any when I applied it and I did get a couple when I didn't apply it, that suggests to me it is effective.
The Pocket one is a spray, it's small, flat and light, and it cost me about a fiver.
Sorry to keep plugging the product as if I have a connection with the maker, but I certainly do not. I just think it is the answer to a problem.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:06:42, 08/09/18 »
I wear Ron Hill Tracksters (close fitting tracksuit bottoms with foot loops), and put on a second pair of socks over the top of them when I am heading into really wild heathery country. Also, try to avoid sitting down in long grass, heather etc, and perhaps most importantly of all, check yourself over regularly. Tick removal tools work - I've removed dozens of ticks from the dog!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:24:48, 08/09/18 »
Trousers and long sleeve shirts make it very difficult for them to latch on quickly.
Ok so the Sherpa Tensing ticks may survive a climb but generally they latch on quickly.

Thanks for the Smidge pointer will be getting some of that.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:54:35, 08/09/18 »
We wear long sleeves and trousers in tick country,  As soon as we have transited any section that may harbour ticks we stop and check each other to brush them off before they can start exploring.  Personal best is 6 ticks on my trousers after 10 yards of Exmoor heather.  In tick country I also flick any the vegetation that will brush against us with my poles before I pass through it.

A really hot shower as soon as possible after a walk is not only very pleasant but also serves to wash exploring ticks and harvest mites off as well as allowing you to carry out a thorough check for nasties (good excuse for staying under a bit longer too)
« Last Edit: 19:58:38, 08/09/18 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 00:22:44, 09/09/18 »
Hate ticks, who doesn't.  Still wear shorts when it is hot though.  I brush my arms and legs down, as soon as I clear any ferns or long grass.  Had one get through this year caught that little critter in a nice hot shower after my walk. 

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:55:24, 09/09/18 »
A really hot shower as soon as possible after a walk is not only very pleasant but also serves to wash exploring ticks and harvest mites off
Had one get through this year caught that little critter in a nice hot shower after my walk. 

From personal experience, they can survive showers, and a bath too  :(

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:17:33, 09/09/18 »
This is one thing that worries me when out walking the countryside. I take immune suppressant drugs, so to contract Lyme disease would be bad news.

So far I haven’t had a tick, I do keep a tick removal tool in my first aid kit, so I’m ready for one. But they are a concern  :(
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 16:13:36, 09/09/18 »
Just been told by a 16 year old youth of the seriousness of Lyme's disease due to a pop star Avril Levigne contracting it and nearly dying. Seemingly it has raised the consciousness of younger people to the dangers of this disease.
Actually, it has also just ncreased my phobia.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:45:51, 09/09/18 »
I found another tick today. It was on my foot near my toes. I'd taken my socks off when I was in the tent last night. I spotted  it when I took my boots and socks off on the bus back home this afternoon. I removed the tick with tweezers and I will watch out for symptoms.

NB The tick was only 1mm in size, this photo has been enlarged.

Hate will never win

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 21:40:13, 09/09/18 »

Not all ticks carry Lyme Disease and a tick has to be attached for a long time before the bacteria make their way into the body — somewhere in the window of 36 to 48 hours according to Science News (https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/growth-curve/five-reasons-not-totally-panic-about-ticks-and-lyme-disease). The trouble is they are hard to spot so vigilance is the watchword.

Useful information:

https://publichealthmatters.blog.gov.uk/2014/03/24/tips-and-tricks-to-stay-safe-from-ticks/
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/694158/PHE_Tick_Leaflet.pdf
https://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/about-ticks/
Solvitur Ambulando

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 23:51:14, 09/09/18 »
Removal of ticks by anything other than the recomended methods can cause the tick to spew it's guts onto your bloodstream cutting making that "average normal" timescale meaningless.
Removal after latching could be as accidental as getting the tick in the first place, I. E. Brushing it off without  realising it was there or pulling it off with your fingers.
Recomended ways are use of thin nosed tweezers or a tick removal tools and using an antiseptic on the spot afterwards.
Thanks for those pointers Ninthace.At the moment I am still paranoid.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 08:52:31, 10/09/18 »
This is the third time in 14 months I've had to remove a tick. The first time I didn't notice it until I'd been in the bath and then I pulled at it with my fingers before I realised it might be a tick. I wonder how many ticks we have all been bitten by and not noticed? They can be very small, the ticks we have had have all been less than 1mm. Beefy had 6 on his torso a few months ago and I almost missed them.

I find the NHS advice very reassuring and helpful.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/lyme-disease/
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy