Author Topic: Liner socks? Are they real?  (Read 3331 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Liner socks? Are they real?
« on: 18:58:24, 21/09/18 »
I think my term is correct? What are Liner Socks, are they real or just thin socks? Would anyone recommend any particular ones or brands?

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Re: Liner socks? Are they real?
« Reply #1 on: 19:29:12, 21/09/18 »
They are just thin socks. I have to say that since I started using them I've never had a blister but maybe being a Postie helps  O0

I use Bridgedale ones but you can get cheaper. Maybe I wouldn't get blisters without them but it's a case of if something works, why change?
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:55:53, 21/09/18 »
Used two pairs of socks for walking since I was a teenager, never had any real problems with blisters.  Used to just use any pair of thin socks but now use wicking ones.
Where there's a will ...

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:35:48, 21/09/18 »
I have worn my body boarding surf socks, with my training shoes and cotton socks underneath.  Keeps your feet dry :) .  Not done it for years now though.  Might have to give it another go now I am walking more miles and see if it's comfy and doesn't get too hot.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 06:40:36, 22/09/18 »
I've only ever worn one pair of socks, always Bridgedale. Light-mid weight as can't cope with thick socks, even in Winter.

Personal choice, as with any item of clothing :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:49:32, 22/09/18 »
In the Good Old Days, when boots were only made of hard leather and vibram soles were held on by screws, then it was de rigeur to wear two pairs of socks. Tradition demanded a long pair, preferably red and ideally worn over the trousers (corduroy of course) and a short pair, light grey woolly, rolled down over the top of the boots. Mrs N still has a picture of me thus attired, taken a fair way up the Jungfrau. The ensemble is rounded off with a bright bright orange canvass anorak.
These days boot and sock technology has come on a bit. Now I just wear one pair, often but not exclusively, Bridgedales. I had a brief flirtation with lined socks but the outer and inners shrunk at different rates and they soon became uncomfortable.
That said, I still think it is the sign of a true Rambler to be seen traditionally attired with one set of socks over the trousers bottoms and a second over the boot cuff. As I understand it, only Master Ramblers are allowed to wear red socks these days.
Solvitur Ambulando

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:35:57, 24/09/18 »
1000Mile socks, have a specific walking related product.
A far thicker sock with one of their thiner socks built in, so you could describe them as having an inner liner.
If their as good as their running socks, they should be brilliant for general walking.

I used to wear their thiner twin skin socks years ago, whilst competing in various Challenge events, and it was rare for me to get any blisters.

The issue with just wearing two pairs of normal socks, is that both socks are not stitched together, thus allowing possibly a poorly fitting sock to rub inside the other and cause blisters.

At around a tenner a pair 1000mile socks are good value, but ive not tried any of their walking ones, so cannot really say how good they are.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:14:21, 24/09/18 »
The issue with just wearing two pairs of normal socks, is that both socks are not stitched together, thus allowing possibly a poorly fitting sock to rub inside the other and cause blisters.

Again DA you're spouting rubbish.  The whole point of liner socks is that one can rub against the other!  The inner one sticks to your foot while the outer one sticks to your boot.  Any rubbing is between the two sock layers.  This prevents hot spots and blisters on your feet.  Having used this method for around 50 years I guarantee it works  O0
Where there's a will ...

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:26:25, 24/09/18 »
Too many squaddies use the two sock for it to be of no use. A couple on the way up the Pennine way just after Tan Hill showed me that they use ladies nylon pop socks for the first layer, one of them had gone into a bog way too deep to stop the sludge getting him and he had his boots off drying his tootsies.

Since the whole idea of blister prevention is to stop shear friction between layers of skin then if that shear friction can occur before it gets to the skin then so much the better.

Very few long term studies exist on blister prevention but there are many long term studies on bed sores ( which are basically the same thing). Every preventative method points towards stopping friction occurring between layers of skin, so layering clothing ( in this case socks )  and keeping the skin supple ( through oils etc) all help in that process.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:14:42, 24/09/18 »
Too many squaddies use the two sock for it to be of no use. A couple on the way up the Pennine way just after Tan Hill showed me that they use ladies nylon pop socks ...

Squaddies wearing ladies pop socks has nothing to do with preventing blisters  :D   :o

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:38:13, 24/09/18 »

Squaddies wearing ladies pop socks has nothing to do with preventing blisters  :D   :o
dare you to say that to the Marines. :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:
Too little, too late, too bad......

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:07:46, 24/09/18 »
IMHO, the wearing of 2 pairs of socks by bootnecks and pongos says more about the MOD's design of boots over the years.  That's why they were called combat boots.  After an hour in them you felt like hitting someone.  It seemed that every time I finally got a set of boots that were truly comfortable somebody came up with a another pattern designed to cripple me in new and more interesting ways.  In the end, when told to change my boots I just became selectively deaf (RHIP).
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:39:23, 24/09/18 »
Certainly hung onto mine as long as possible once I'd broken them in  O0
Where there's a will ...

Ronin83

« Reply #13 on: 21:39:25, 24/09/18 »
The problem for me is that my toes just can't regulate temperature at all. With 2 socks they get hot and sweaty when walking. I've tried coolmax socks and they dont work in the slightest. Merino wool, tried those and sweated a lot(in winter they then got cold).
In the cold, as soon as I stand around, my toes get cold, freezing in the winter, but are ok whilst walking. Think I've got a circulation problem.

Ive yet to try the army desert socks, but the best so far have been standard sport socks or some from decathlon.

So liner socks just mean an extra layer and more heat/sweat/chance of blisters

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 13:06:53, 25/09/18 »
Its obvious here nobody has experimented or used 1000mile socks.

Their design include an inner liner sock of varying thickness, depending on which activity you want them for.
They have been available for many years, and they really work.
Their the only sock ive used that even in the most adverse weather conditions, never gave me any blisters, and that included having a constantly waterlogged boot for almost thirty miles of a Beacons challenge walk back in 1992.
Their walking socks have been designed in a way, that you have two pairs of socks carefully sewn together, thus almost removing friction hot spots that lead to blisters.

By some of the comments above, its obvious some of us have never tried them, or even heard about them.
« Last Edit: 13:10:23, 25/09/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy