Author Topic: Looking for a nice long-walk!  (Read 4027 times)

Rodney Reindeer

Re: Looking for a nice long-walk!
« Reply #15 on: 16:09:49, 27/05/10 »
Hi Jose,

I can really recommend the Pembrokeshire Coast Path!  I've loved the bits that I have walked, and my wife has done nearly the whole path over two trips.  The scenery and wildlife are stunning and varied and there is lots to do along the way.  Also accomodation would be fine for you, but you would need to book ahead in August.  More info here: http://nt.pcnpa.org.uk/website/sitefiles/nt_page.asp?PageID=2 [nofollow]

webwalker0918

« Reply #16 on: 17:08:39, 18/06/10 »
In second place, I'd like to ask you for advice about a nice long-walk. I'll walk in the middle of August and I'd like to find a walk about 125-150 miles, so I can  walk it in 10 days. But, what's actually important for me, is to find a walk where I can sleep al least in villages or bigger, so I can have a beer and listen some music before going to bed, maybe not eveyday but sometimes.
Last summer I walked half the West Highland Way, from Crianlarich to Fort William, and the Great Glen Way, and it was a really nice experience, so I'm looking for something similar, but I think the Rob Roy Way or Cowal Way for example don't passes through any towns.

Jose, there is plenty of accomodation on the Rob Roy Way - Drymen, Aberfoyle, Callander, Strathyre, Killin, Aberfeldy and Pitlochry. Some great scenery but it involves some road walking.

mendipman

« Reply #17 on: 17:46:07, 18/06/10 »
Hello Jose
I've just picked up your original message and you enquired about the Kerry Way. I have walked this as part of my coast to coast across Ireland and it is a very scenic route. It is only 67 miles but you could start a bit farther east at Bweeng and walk the Blackwater Way (Duhallow section) first. That would add a further 51 miles. The accommodation is good and b & b proprietors are always very willing to come out to meet you if necessary. The people are extremely friendly and there is plenty of live folk music in the local bars. It's a great experience

Maria Fernanda

« Reply #18 on: 11:34:44, 15/12/17 »
Hi guys. I have been researching the Camino de Santiago, especially the north way.  [/size]Many people say that it is an incredible route to walk. Im from Colombia but I'm planning to become a pilgrim in 2018. Probably, I´ll walk the north ways, is the route of the Camino de Santiago that runs along the north coast of Spain. Someone here has done it before?  ;)

I am planning to hire the services of a travel agency , the name is Santiago Ways (santiagoways.com). I don't wanna walk alone! :)
« Last Edit: 11:39:48, 15/12/17 by Maria Fernanda »

Rather be walking

« Reply #19 on: 12:26:14, 15/12/17 »
I'm planning to walk the Greater Ridgeway this summer.

https://www.ldwa.org.uk/ldp/members/show_path.php?path_name=Greater+Ridgeway+Trail.

A 370 mile long distance footpath crossing England from Lyme Regis to Hunstanton on the Norfolk Coast.
It is a combined route which is made from the joining of four other long distance footpaths - the Wessex Ridgeway, The Ridgeway National Trail, the Icknield Way and the Peddars Way National Trail.

For some strange reason it is longer classified as a Long Distance Path ??? but I'm still walking it. O0

Jon.
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 09:14:06, 16/12/17 »
I'm planning to walk the Greater Ridgeway this summer.

https://www.ldwa.org.uk/ldp/members/show_path.php?path_name=Greater+Ridgeway+Trail.

A 370 mile long distance footpath crossing England from Lyme Regis to Hunstanton on the Norfolk Coast.
It is a combined route which is made from the joining of four other long distance footpaths - the Wessex Ridgeway, The Ridgeway National Trail, the Icknield Way and the Peddars Way National Trail.

For some strange reason it is longer classified as a Long Distance Path ??? but I'm still walking it. O0

Jon.

Wonderful - that was my idea for next year too, minus the Wessex Ridgeway which I have walked already. Are you intending B&Bs or wild camping?
I didn't know it actually been a recognised LDW.  When are you going?
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

John Walker

« Reply #21 on: 10:15:24, 16/12/17 »
Hello Jose
I don't think anyone has suggested the South Downs Way but I would thoroughly recommend it to you. It is about 170km from Winchester to Eastbourne (or in the reverse direction!).  The walk is mainly on rolling green hills, crossing plenty of valleys and close to pretty villages and some interesting historic towns (e.g. Winchester, Brighton & Lewes).  Towards the Eastern half views of the coast emerge and the final section is above the stunning chalk cliffs of the Seven Sisters. So there is plenty of available accommodation in pubs and bed and breakfast places.  And the path is not usually busy, except perhaps at weekends.  You can see details at the official website: https://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/south-downs-way or you can see a description of what we did and where we stayed when we did the walk three years ago here http://www.greenlives.org.uk/sdw.html
Whatever walk you choose I hope you enjoy it (and have good weather... ;)

JW
http://www.greenlives.org.uk/walk.html
National Trails completed: SWCP, Thames, SDW and NDW

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 10:21:13, 16/12/17 »
I would like to suggest the High Weald Trail. Catch a train to Horsham, the walk starts almost immeadiatly. It winds its way through Sussex and Kent (about 150 miles) and ends at Rye. Then catch a train home. Or hike it the other way around, from Rye to Horsham. Best to do it I belive when the apples, plums and pears are out.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 15:00:57, 16/12/17 »
Jose asked the question 7 years ago, I doubt he'll log back on now. The thread was "bumped" most likely to promote a site...as usual  ::)
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 16:30:15, 16/12/17 »
Cynic.  We must welcome all pointless one post promotional wonders with open arms  O0

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 11:22:57, 17/12/17 »
Sorry folks, got it wrong. The High Weald Trail is about 150km, not 150 miles.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy