Author Topic: Are most people lazy??  (Read 5070 times)

MartinN

Are most people lazy??
« on: 12:57:06, 12/09/06 »
Let me set the scene. I was out walking by myself on sunday afternoon on the Ridgeway and surrounding paths for about 4 hrs. The weather was fantastic. But I only saw 8 people and two of those were on bikes. And that got me thinking...should I be pleased that I can enjoy the great countryside almost by myself? Are people generally lazy? I can't understand why more don't take advantage of what is on their door step.

Your thoughts please.

Thanks

Martin

titaniumdude

Re: Are most people lazy??
« Reply #1 on: 23:03:14, 12/09/06 »
My experience of the Ridgeway was similar.  Lots of dog walkers in places (spec in the mornings), but few genuine hikers and I only passed about three couples that looked like they may be tackling the whole thing or a good portion of it. Dunno if its laziness or that folks simply dont realise what great places to visit we have in this country and like you say they're on the doorstep.  When I talk to work colleagues about my experiences most of them think I'm mad.  Don't understand that at all.  Some of these folks travel hundreds of miles for a 'British' experience abroad without appreciating that they can get away from that bolux with just a bus trip!  Still each to there own I spose (or at least each to what they are programmed to think is their own!). :P ;D
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

MartinN

« Reply #2 on: 12:37:52, 14/09/06 »
I can only speak about the Ridgeway as I spend quite alot of time up there but it seems to me that those people who can be bothered generally only make it as far as a car park around the Uffington White Horse or Waylands Smithy. They are then left with a 20 min walk. Which I suppose is better than those lardies who can't be bothered at all.
I noticed in the French Alps last summer that far more take advantage of what is around them. And they were certainly enjoying the mountains. Didn't hear the youngsters complaining, 'are we nearly there yet'.
Coming back to this country though should we as walkers/hikers be pleased that most people are content to eat pies and watch TV rather than enjoying the outdoors? For me I dislike over weight lazy people for several reasons but equally I'm not sure if I would want to encourage them outside as I like my space. Selfish I know but there you go.

Any comments?

ATB

Martin

allrounder

« Reply #3 on: 18:55:06, 25/09/06 »
whilst walking on the swcp recently, i met absolutely no-one for the first 9 miles, the following 20 there were plenty, then nothing again for the last 8...

i would think that it depends on the time of day, i started at 7am, Newquay, by 10 (perranporth), it was busy, this lasted all the way to Porthtowan, from there on it was Quiet all the way to Portreath...

very busy areas with both holiday makers and locals alike, but no on the path, most of em just lazin on the beaches.... why oh why?

Jekins

« Reply #4 on: 09:42:13, 29/09/06 »
hi,

me and some frineds had the same did a 20 mile walk localy and saw not one geniuine walker and lots of passerby looked as if we were alien or soming new. every one i know thinlks i am mad. Being tenagers we hoped that we changed some peoples views on teenages as we had some interesting conversations with some over 60s.

luke

JsWalks

« Reply #5 on: 18:04:19, 18/07/10 »
Actually I hope they are all lazy because it makes hiking for people like you and I far more pleasurable! I love the countryside especially when there's nobody in it! :)
J.

jswalks.blogspot.co.uk

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:46:23, 18/07/10 »
There are many people out in their gardens digging, planting and hoeing who I don't think particularly lazy, in the pub this afternoon (I was having a lazy day) the guy I was talking to is akeen gardener and we were discussing bus routes.
He takes the bus all over town, I use the bus to get out into the countryside, walk and discover another connection.
I was talking to a guy who maintains his garden, his sister in law's garden and other ground, does all the flower baskets for the pub which are phenomenal.

Laziness is a matter of choice, just don't inflict on the young in a form that damages them.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

botty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:47:02, 18/07/10 »
Same here - whilst we aren't experienced walkers due to other pastimes, when we do go on our walking holidays we would much rather it be as it is. Our week in Settle just over a week ago was great, hardly saw anyone on the walks that we did. In fact, we walked for about 5hrs up and down Gunnerside Gill in the Yorkshire Dales and saw a small group of older gentlemen and a family - it was great, so peaceful and quiet. On the Saturday we drove through Horton in Ribblesdale and the car-parks and roads were packed with vehicles, with walkers doing Pen-Y-Ghent and the 3-peaks walk. A few weeks ago we ventured out to Castleton in Derbyshire and went up Mam Tor and along the ridge and it was like being at Blackpool - not my cup of tea at all!

Bill T

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:41:14, 18/07/10 »
On reflection I do most of my walking very early in the day.  A 6am start tends to mean you don't see anyone much.  The first Lyke Wake I did (3.30 start) I didn't see a soul till I was twenty miles in, it was great  ;D
Dirger

Resident Lyke Wake Bore

AndyMoore

« Reply #9 on: 19:46:39, 18/07/10 »
Most of the places I plan routes for around here are very quiet. I know most of my walking is weekdays but even so you would think there would be plenty of people with time on their hands who would enjoy the countryside.  Whether it's too much to do or lazyness I don't know.  In some ways I find it rather sad that people don't get out there now - I spent two hours walking in woods last week and saw nobody.

Then again I am also of the mind that if people can't be bothered then it means more peace and privacy for me to enjoy when I get out there :)

snowslider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:36:13, 18/07/10 »
we took a 50km bike ride, I'd guess we saw about a couple of hundred other people. Mostly on bikes, not surprising as we used a couple of "Swiss Bike" trails, but also on blades, walking and so on. I don't think it makes the Swiss any less lazy than people in the UK though, things are rarely so simple.

You might ask what else there is do here on a Sunday, if you don't go out skiing, walking, climbing, sailing, cycling, horse riding then there's zilch to do, no shops are open and we don't have any of the Alton Towers, Blackpool, Matlock Bath things to do. Noise is banned, you can't mow your lawn and washing cars on the drive isn't allowed and so on. All you can do really is go out and do something interesting.

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:46:55, 18/07/10 »
I don't think it's laziness, most people haven't bothered to go out there and have a look to see what is there. Yes there are some people who just want to sit in front of a box or go down the pub, because that's what their mates do. They are a bit lazy if they don't have any more hobbies.

I try and plan my walks in areas where I might not meet many people. If I do walk in a popular area I get fed up of having to say 'hello' to everyone going in the opposite direction. Not that I am anti social or anything, I just like my own space.
Ilona

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:53:53, 18/07/10 »
Yes. (can't be bothered to say anymore).

... ;D

Seriously, I believe many people are lazy and also apathetic, which is a shame for them but better for us - whatever would it be like on top of Snowdoin, if everyone gave it a go?
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

Bill T

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:57:30, 18/07/10 »
- whatever would it be like on top of Snowdoin, if everyone gave it a go?

I thought they did :-\
Dirger

Resident Lyke Wake Bore

Mountaingirl

« Reply #14 on: 21:08:50, 18/07/10 »
People enjoy different thing  and to feel refreshed. There is a nature reserve at the back of my work. I go out every break to breath fresh air, look at trees, rivers and birds  8) (so that I can survive the rest of the day at work :( ). I wouldn't' have lasted if the building stood in the city centre. However, I see only a few people from work on the path. Majority of them are stuck in the cafe or rest area which have no window, sitting, sipping tea/coffee and watching telly. If the weather is too bad to go out, I get really tired at the end of the work, but others seem survive without  ??? .

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy