Author Topic: Hello from Jealous Irish Walker  (Read 3209 times)

JohnpM

Hello from Jealous Irish Walker
« on: 18:41:41, 25/04/19 »
I am a keen hillwalker from Ireland. I try to get over to the UK each year as the walking is so much better here due to the open access to the countryside. There is nothing remotely similar on offer in Ireland and I am so envious of you all having this wonderful walking Nirvana.
I have done some of the South Downs Way, half of the Anglesey Coastal path and I have just completed the amazing Herriot way in the Yorkshire Dales.
I will be back!
Hello to all from John

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: Hello from Jealous Irish Walker
« Reply #1 on: 19:15:04, 25/04/19 »
Welcome John from Aberdeenshire

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:38:56, 25/04/19 »

Welcome JohnpM

I sympathise - we visited the Burren area some years back and though the geology and flowers were wonderful and well  worth the trip (ditto the pubs and music) we were greatly disappointed by the lack of walks and poor maps available (then).
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:10:43, 25/04/19 »
Welcome from the Sussex coast

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:11:12, 25/04/19 »
Welcome from Cumbria.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:37:39, 26/04/19 »
Welcome from Liverpool

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:23:24, 26/04/19 »
Welcome aboard from Manchester  :)
We haven't been to Ireland and never quite grasped the access situation over there, the few snippets we've heard suggest there are no generally accepted rules and that every location is different with regard to attitudes of landowners etc.
Edit: typo only.
« Last Edit: 17:10:45, 26/04/19 by vghikers »

JohnpM

« Reply #7 on: 15:26:15, 26/04/19 »
Welcome aboard from Manchester  :)
We've haven't been to Ireland and never quite grasped the access situation over there, the few snippets we've heard suggest there are no generally accepted rules and that every location is different with regard to attitudes of landowners etc.

We are a long way behind on access. There is certainly no question of the ubiquitous rights of way you have in the UK.
Walking holidays in Ireland will involve a lot more walking in state owned forests and on minor roads.
On the plus side we are supposed to be very friendly.  The farmer with the 12 bore excepted of course. ;)

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:57:27, 26/04/19 »
Hi John and welcome from the Peak District O0

I wonder....could you offer any info/advice about coastal walking in Ireland?  I've been considering coming over to Southern Ireland (by air) some time this year but haven't really got round to doing much research yet.  I'd be hiring a car to get around, so wouldn't have to rely on public transport of any kind, unless it helped with walking logistics (ie linear walks along the coast, returning by bus).
If you know of any areas that are particularly nice, please let me know.

Ideally, I'd like to be in a small town/village by the coast (if possible) and would hope to stay in a holiday cottage within easy walking distance of the coast path/sea.
I'm happy to drive to other areas nearby and explore a bit...but a good base in the right location is the priority.

Having never been to Ireland, I wouldn't really know which areas are best.

Thanks in advance,

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

JohnpM

« Reply #9 on: 16:45:46, 26/04/19 »
Hi Tracey
We have no developed coastal pathway system in Ireland and therefore few walks that I could recommend to you. You could do some more detailed research and uncover a number of routes I am sure that are one off sort of walks. If I was choosing an area of coast to look further into, it would be south west Ireland, Cork, Kerry and Clare. The west of Ireland, Connemara and the North West of Ireland Donegal. If you want to venture into Northern Ireland it would be the North Antrim Coast. Maybe look at the Waterford coast also. The website irishtrails.ie is worth looking at.
Regards
John

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:08:35, 26/04/19 »

Welcome to the forum John.

I visited Ireland for a walking holiday many years ago and wasn't aware of any particular problems. I was out in Connemara and the Wicklow Hills. Also did a spot of caving with my wife to be near Lisdoonvarna.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

JohnpM

« Reply #11 on: 18:18:43, 26/04/19 »

Hi Richardh
I am not saying there are major problems here, especially if you stick to the public roads/tracks. Merely that there is a poverty of opportunity in terms of the right to roam that the UK offers. Some of the canals provide more uninterrupted opportunities for walking in the countryside but days on a towpath are not everyone's cup of tea. However I love them to be honest.
Regards
John

Stube

« Reply #12 on: 19:14:21, 26/04/19 »
Welcome from North Portsmouth.

I've been to Ireland twice: once to a conference, and later a car touring trip down to the Kerry coast. Both with my now Wife and late Mother. Little chance of serious walking on either trip. Pleasant memories apart from the Dublin Guinness which was far too cold! My old university barman (a Dublin native) would have been horrified!

BTW What is the situation wrt wild camping in Ireland?

JohnpM

« Reply #13 on: 19:28:24, 26/04/19 »
Hi Stube
Wild camping opportunities are limited enough. If you are on someones land you best ask them as in most countries I suppose. On pure logic as more land in Ireland is in private hands the opportunities are fewer. Having said that I have had little experience with this as I am a bit of a champagne hiker. Most farmers are decent skins and I would be surprised if you were denied a spot for the night if you asked first.
Regards
John

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 09:04:23, 30/04/19 »
Hi John :)

Thanks for the info above.  I'll do some research into the areas you've suggested.  I'm sure I'll find a bit of what I'm looking for  O0

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy