Author Topic: Grand Canyon, AZ, USA  (Read 4374 times)

Litehiker

Grand Canyon, AZ, USA
« on: 05:03:22, 09/11/19 »
Two years ago in early November a friend and I backpacked ("wild camped") the Grand Canyon from the North Rim to the South Rim in 4 days.

Day 1-> North Rim to Cottonwood Camp (1/2 way down)

Day 2-> Cottonwood Camp to Phantom Ranch (Colorado River)

Day 3-> Phantom Ranch to Indian Garden (1/2way up)

Day 4-> Indian Garden to South Rim (and a big pizza and a craft IPA beer)

My buddy was 71 ans I was 74 so we called it our "geezer hike".
So this may not be considered a "long distance walk" but it was a tough walk. Two days downhill does make the quad muscles ache and two days up
can be tiring. However the spectacular scenery took our minds off the exertion most of the time.

I do remember a similar Grand Canyon trip being easier 8 years earlier. Age does catch up with one.

Eric B.

Owen

• Veteran Member
Re: Grand Canyon, AZ, USA
« Reply #1 on: 08:04:17, 09/11/19 »
Any photos?

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:28:17, 09/11/19 »
Yes, any piccies.  Having been to the Grand Canyon's North Rim, I'd like to see some photos too. 

PS. must be that American / English thing again cos hiking hut to hut isn't the same as wild camping in the UK.  Maybe bothy to bothy or hostel to hostel, but not wild camping

Litehiker

« Reply #3 on: 00:50:50, 10/11/19 »
Hi Mel,
I'm not sure what you mean by not being "wild camping" in the Brit sense.
What does it take to post photos here? I don't use something like PhotoBucket.

We did "backpacking" in the American sense of the term.
We carried all supplies in our backpacks, cooked our meals twice daily, tent camped (yes, in designated campsites) and followed a trail.
No huts.
No bothies or shelters.

Designated campsites and permits for a park that sees literally over a million hikers per year are a necessity.

So does the fact that we were required to stay in designated campsites and required to have camping permits disqualify this from being backpacking in your definition? Perhaps "what we have here is a failure to communicate." (Cool Hand Luke)

Eric B.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 01:00:20, 10/11/19 »
I backpacked ("wild camped")

I was referring to this ^^^ your clarification that you call it wild camping - I was clarifying that here in the UK a wild camp is not on designated sites with or without permits.  The locations you list all have basic hut facilities which is why I mentioned hut to hut.  But yes, in the UK backpacking also means carrying all your own stuff.  Two different things.

As for posting pics, this forum needs a hosting site.  Many people here are using "postimage" as it doesn't require membership  O0

Litehiker

« Reply #5 on: 01:13:17, 10/11/19 »
Mel,

Hmmm, well to handle the very high traffic volume the GC park does have a very few water spigots at designated campsites and lavatories as well.  But no shelter (except over the picnic tables at Indian Garden but there are no tables elsewhere). So it ain't hut camping but it ain't off trail bushwhacking by any means either.

Other trails in the GC NP are far less "developed" with only designated camping "areas".

Eric B.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 01:20:33, 10/11/19 »
I think wild camping in the UK is what you would call stealth camping in the USA.  Totally self-sufficient, leave no trace and not on designated camping areas.

Anyway, piccies please  :)  I want to go all nostalgic myself  O0

Litehiker

« Reply #7 on: 01:48:47, 10/11/19 »
AHA! Stealth camping. Now we're into another area. Here it usually means hiding from rangers and trail monitors who want all backpackers in designated campsites. I've done it on the AT a few times when I could no longer stand the circus at the AT shelter sites.

But here in the American west there is SO much space to backpack off trail that it is often the main way people camp. I do it when backpack hunting because I'm following game trails and water sources.

Eric B.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:19:14, 12/11/19 »
Your turn Mel! :D
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 08:51:37, 13/11/19 »
Another plea for piccies, please.
Having been to both north rim and south rim, but only walked down as far as Indian Garden, a nostalgia trip would be lovely.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:21:25, 13/11/19 »
The nearest I've ever got to the Grand Canyon is the Gorge Du Verdun in France. A pips-squeak, by comparison, I'm sure. My wife and I always said that we would visit North America when we were younger but we could never agree where we wanted to go so never did.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 15:45:15, 13/11/19 »
Do like me and my friend did.  "Tour".  We "bagged" Nevada, Utah, Los Angeles and Arizona in a month.  We hired a car and stopped in the cheapest motels we could find and lived on junk food.  Fantastic memories. 

Hence, now the language barrier confusion, has been addressed, I'm waiting, agog with excitement, to see Litehiker's photographs of his trek   :D

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 05:04:35, 14/11/19 »

.....I'm waiting, agog with excitement, to see Litehiker's photographs of his trek   :D

Me too! Having never been there, it would be good to see what all this fuss is about! ;)

watershed

« Reply #13 on: 22:34:06, 21/01/20 »
Sounds a fantastic experience I am very envious.
I did a day walk, from South rim past the Indian gardens to overlook the river, then walked back up to South rim. this was in June 1982. I wasn't a walker then, but a keen runner. I hired a ruck sack and took a gallon of water and some snacks. There was a lucky half pint left when I got back to the rim. We had a wonderful sunset that night viewed from the rim followed by a gallon of beer in the hotel.
As Litehiker says my quads certainly knew about it the next day. It was worth every ache and twinge. Definitely in the top five of my bucket list experiences. The scale is so immense that no photos I have seen actually does it justice. I would love to visit it again.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 06:25:01, 23/01/20 »
Still waiting for pics I see! :D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy