Author Topic: Fellbarrow & Low Fell  (Read 768 times)

MarkT

Fellbarrow & Low Fell
« on: 12:41:50, 06/09/19 »
After spending 5 days in Snowdonia I then drove north to The Lakes to spend a few days in Butteremere to conclude my holiday. From my TR's in the Welsh section, you can see I had brilliant weather. If only I could say the same for The Lakes. It just constantly poured with rain and was rather windy up on the fells. I attempted to do The Grasmoor round, going up Whiteside first starting from Lanthwaite Green. At just over 1900ft I made the decision to turn around as the wind and rain was just to much for me. Visibility wasn't brilliant and I couldn't see a safe way up. So reluctantly I turned back and on my decent a couple were walking up. When I explained that it wasn't nice higher up and didn't feel safe as I was on my own, the gentleman seemed to mock me saying it was only a bit of wind and rain. I carried on descending, they carried on up. Once I was at the bottom I turned around and could see the couple heading back down, I chuckled lol

Anyway, on one of the afternoons it did actually stop so I had a few hours to try and tick another couple of Wainwrights off. So I drove to Loweswater, parked up and headed up Fellbarrow and to start with, all was good and I was getting some good views and was able to see the Scotland in the far distant. Things were looking up.

Loweswater on the right with Mellbreak on the left

Honestly, I could see Scotland across the Solway Firth.

With more height, and these 2 fells aren't high, Fellbarrow the highest at 1363ft, the wind was getting stronger but the rain held off for a while and managed to stand still long enough to keep these few pics.

Fellbarrow summit with Trig Point, Grasmoor in the background

Low Fell summit looking down to Crammock Water and the Butteremere valley

On my descent, the rain started but managed to get this pic just before another soaking

Rain heading my way

A short approx 2 hour walk but better than sitting in my tent for another afternoon and 2 more Wainwright's completed.

karl h

• Veteran Member
Re: Fellbarrow & Low Fell
« Reply #1 on: 12:56:01, 06/09/19 »
Nice pics from a classic little round O0
No shame in turning back, those fells are still there waiting for the next sunny day ( forecasted to be the 23rd June 2020 )  :D

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:20:34, 06/09/19 »
Nice little circuit and pics, that's a grand view down the Buttermere valley.

When I explained that it wasn't nice higher up and didn't feel safe as I was on my own, the gentleman seemed to mock me saying it was only a bit of wind and rain. I carried on descending, they carried on up. Once I was at the bottom I turned around and could see the couple heading back down

Interesting view, if I understand properly. That's probably exactly what we would have said going up in wind and rain, having walked in far worse. We might have turned back because it was highly unpleasant, but certainly not because of anything to do with safety.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:15:32, 06/09/19 »
Nice pics - that's a great view down over Crummock Water from Low Fell - one of my favourites.  As for wind - I've been blown off my feet on Rannderdale Knotts of all places - no fun, and I think you made the right decision.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy