Author Topic: American walking the C2C  (Read 23575 times)

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Re: American walking the C2C
« Reply #120 on: 08:01:22, 08/03/19 »
Another vote for the Etrex 20 which I bought after my first C2C.  O0

On my first C2C I got to the top of Greenup Edge after Borrowdale and was in the mist and couldn't see any paths. I didn't want to go the wrong way, especially on my own so had a rest and waited about 10 mins till the group behind me caught up then I followed them at a distance until the mist was gone. At that point I decided to get a GPS and I've used it ever since, clips nicely onto my backpack strap loop.

On my first C2C I had the Harvey maps and a wainwright guide book. I found the Harvey maps to not show enough detail but the guide book obviously was more "zoomed in" and showed the path clearly.

I put the guide book in a sandwich bag, kept the rain out plus it kept the page for me so I didn't have to keep opening up the book and searching.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

JFK

« Reply #121 on: 16:46:55, 08/03/19 »
Thanks Kathy and Sussmab for all the GREAT advice. I am absorbing it ALL!!!

JFK

« Reply #122 on: 16:50:02, 08/03/19 »
Bricam2096 I had a thought to photocopy all of the maps in the trailblazer book, laminate and put into a clear mapcase around my neck and keep my larger maps in my backpack. Figured I could just keep the days maps with me so I don't get lost. Still debating on the GPS but if  I can get my android to do the GPS thing I will do that too. I am one of those "be prepared for zombie apocalypse" people and have plans A-Z for everything  :)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #123 on: 16:52:46, 08/03/19 »
I use Backcountry on my Android phone, works with problems or fuss. I'm sure there are a number of equally good apps available, I like mine because it displays as an OS screen.

JFK

« Reply #124 on: 16:55:00, 08/03/19 »
Thanks Gunwharfman, I will check it out!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy