Author Topic: Hiking across the Canary Islands  (Read 2133 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Hiking across the Canary Islands
« on: 10:53:05, 26/09/17 »
For about three years I have planned to hike across a couple or three of the Canary Islands but each time I have hesitated each time, due to the bureaucratic procedure that's in place there, especially I think on Tenerife. The local authority expects hikers who want to camp to get an official permit and I wondered if anyone on the Forum has followed this procedure, was it easy to get, etc, or did you just ignore what they require?

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: Hiking across the Canary Islands
« Reply #1 on: 13:36:50, 26/09/17 »
Hi GWM

The Lonely Planet Guides that I read before I walked the Camino this year stated that wild camping is illegal in Spain, so as the Canaries are part of Spain, probably also there. However there were a few walkers who were wild camping and left their sites as they found them arrived late, left early, you know the pack drill. basically the same as England.

Maybe posting this question on http://walkingtenerife.co.uk/faqs may give you the correct answer.
Too little, too late, too bad......

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:21:12, 30/10/17 »
As I sit in front of my PC my thoughts tell me that I mustnake the effort to hike, instead of just thinking about it, across a couple of  the Canary Islands! I bumbled and have made excuses about why I can't do this for far too long! So I've identified Jan/Feb 2018 and have written it in bold and CAPITAL LETTERS in my diary! That should do it!

The easiest I think, is to fly to Tenerife, walk the GR route there (about 80 miles I think) and then cross over by ferry to La Gomera and walk their GR route.

I will look into getting an official camping permit but if not I'll just try to wild camp it. I am hoping to buy a Bivi soon so that, and my Tarp, may be the best way to stay, if need be, unnoticed?

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:58:37, 30/10/17 »
If you're going to La Gomera, you'd best learn to "speak" the language....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgEmSb0cKBg

Hope the vid whets your "whistle"  :D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy