Author Topic: TR Day 4 of a 3 nighter in the Moffat Hills Mon 7 May 18  (Read 3241 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Day 4

The skies cleared again so Beefy was out and about taking more star shots in the middle of the night. I managed this sun rise shot but I fell asleep again so I missed the rest of it  :D

The sun rising over Crown of Scotland

We had our breakfast and packed our gear away, feeling sad to be going home. We were joining The Annandale Way over Annanhead Hill and down to Moffat.

Beefy on Great Hill

The Craigs can be seen just above the cairn. We had crossed the lumpy grass back to the wall and struggled on the ascent. Thankfully not that much ascent today.

Looking down at the Devil's Beef Tub

See the white thing in the valley on the left?

The white thing is this van

Here is the story of why it is here!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/1817492.stm

The woman is lucky to be alive  :o

Great Hill left, Peat Knowe right from Strait Step

Looking back at Great Hill and Hart Fell at the back

Beefy on Annanhead Hill

Look at all of those turbines!! I still cannot get over this, it is so shocking to see the landscape spoiled.

We dropped down to the main road, took a shot of the view then a short climb over Ericstane Hill was next

The Devil's Beef Tub from the main road

Whitehope Heights, Hart Fell and Swatte Fell to our left as we descended into Annandale

Our lunch time view

The wind had been a nuisance all morning, in our faces from the start. We found shelter behind a wall with this lovely view for our lunch

Hart Fell and Hartfell Spa in the chasm

A last look back at the Moffat Hills

This weeks cute lamb photo

The route following the Annandale Way down into the valley had been really nice, a farm track, then a grassy path. Shame it has to go onto the road for a while.

A very well tended garden

Lambs lazing by the pool

The Annandale Way joins the river and off the road through this field after a mile and a bit of road walking

The river Annan

It was very pleasant walking down here and very hot in the sun. We were getting tired now and were ready to stop.

Moffat ahead

We got some bread, cheese, tomatoes and grapes in Moffat and sat in the park scoffing while we waited for our bus. It was busy in the park but we managed to find a quiet spot away from most of the noise.

Once on the bus we were home 2 and a half hours later. What a grand weekend despite the first 2 days of poor weather. The Moffat Hills are rather nice and we will be back to explore more of them.

Day 4 was The Craigs - Great Hill - Peat Howe - Annanhead Hill - Ericstane Hill - Annandale Way to Moffat. 14km with 210m ascent and 410m descent.
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Day 4 of a 3 nighter in the Moffat Hills Mon 7 May 18
« Reply #1 on: 21:10:45, 08/05/18 »
tremendous  O0
what an adventure this turned out to be eh...  :)
had a wonderful time, it was a bit tough at times, but very rewarding,
a big thanks to you Ape for planning it all...  O0

See the white thing in the valley on the left?

The white thing is this van  
its been vandalised  ;D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:32:11, 08/05/18 »
Out for three nights :o
I bet your packs weighed a ton, you would need at least a  gallon of wine each ;D
Glad you had a couple of nice days, looks like lots of big wide open country up there O0

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:42:26, 08/05/18 »
More lovely pics.
How did that woman survive the van crash  :o

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 06:04:02, 09/05/18 »
Another great write up, April - I'm glad the weather improved for the second half of your weekend.  :) 

I love that contrast between the bright green farmland and the pale colours of the high hills above it.

Really enjoyed all the photos and the TRs from your Scottish adventure - great stuff.  O0

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 07:53:35, 09/05/18 »
A fine area for walking.
I first reached some of these close by hills by bus to Peebles when at school in Edinburgh....Manor valley, a camp, then over Cramalt Craig and Broad Law.  Then out to the main road via Loch Talla for a bus home.
Only much later did I reach both Hart Fell and White Coomb.  I recall a fenced off area with entry to the Spa waters when descending from Hart Fell....and also the bonny falls of the Grey Mares tail beside the path to reach White Coomb.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:02:20, 09/05/18 »
a big thanks to you Ape for planning it all...  O0

You are welcome, I am planning our next trip up there now  :)

Out for three nights :o
I bet your packs weighed a ton, you would need at least a  gallon of wine each ;D

Yes 3 nights and 4 days without washing  ;) The wine was 4.5kg. I didn't mind beefy carrying it at all  ;)

How did that woman survive the van crash  :o

I have no idea the drop loos almost vertical!

Really enjoyed all the photos and the TRs from your Scottish adventure - great stuff.  O0

Thanks adalard  :)

Only much later did I reach both Hart Fell and White Coomb.  I recall a fenced off area with entry to the Spa waters when descending from Hart Fell....and also the bonny falls of the Grey Mares tail beside the path to reach White Coomb.

White Coomb and Grey Mares Tail will be included in future trips, it is a great area for walking despite the rough terrain in places.
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:53:13, 09/05/18 »
Three lovely reports April - that's an area I have never walked, but I stayed in Moffat when I rode LEJoG a few years ago and thought what wonderful scenery there was.  Another area on the bucket list.  And I am glad the sun did come out for you.

Paul

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:20:52, 09/05/18 »
Devils Beef Tub? He's not that fat  ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:18:39, 09/05/18 »
Enjoyed all the reports and photos April O0   Glad the weather improved for you both and you're looking to return for more exploring.
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 22:28:59, 09/05/18 »
Great photos April and I'm glad you eventually got some brighter weather   :)    It must have been quite an adventure

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 23:19:35, 09/05/18 »
I stayed in Moffat when I rode LEJoG a few years ago and thought what wonderful scenery there was.

It is very nice  :)

Devils Beef Tub? He's not that fat  ;D

It was his cameras  ;)

Thanks sunnydale and Dovegirl, we did have a great time ..... on Day 3 and 4  ;)
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy