Author Topic: The Kerry Way  (Read 4697 times)

Kukkudrill

The Kerry Way
« on: 21:09:56, 31/05/18 »

In May 2018 I walked part of Ireland’s Kerry Way. The Kerry Way is a 200-kilometre circular walking route that starts and ends in Killarney, County Kerry. It is usually walked in an anti-clockwise direction and this is how I did it. I walked from Killarney to Derrynane Bay, close to Caherdaniel, over six days, for a total distance of some 138km.

I did not do the full length of the Way because it would have taken too long. As it was, I needed two days to get to Killarney and two days to return home, meaning I spent ten days away from home. Walking the full Way would have extended my absence by another three days.

Missing the last three stages of the Way was not a difficult decision. Stages 7 and 8 are said to include some rather dull sections, while the final stage covers some of the same ground as the first stage.

This was my third annual walking expedition. In May 2016 I walked the Cumbria Way and in May 2017 I did the West Highland Way. I camped part of the way on both walks, but I stayed in booked accommodation all along the Kerry Way. This enabled me to walk with a lighter load – between 8.5 and 9 kilogrammes, as compared to 14.5kg for my previous expeditions.

I planned to walk 20km per day on average. But I did more than this because the distance of some of the stages as given by my guidebook turned out to be badly misleading. According to my guidebook, stages 4 and 5 are 20 and 24km long respectively. The real distances are 29 and 30km. Stage 5 was particularly tough.

The weather was mostly good. It rained persistently only on the morning of day 5. On other days the weather was good and the sun was out for much of the time.

Day 1 (Saturday 5 May 2018) – Killarney to the Black Valley

The trail took me past the shore of Lough (lake) Leane, then to Muckcross Lake and Torc Waterfall. A climb to the shoulder of Torc mountain brought me to the Old Kenmare Road, which ran through some wonderfully desolate moorland. The road petered out into a trail through boggy terrain with extensive sections of boardwalk. Then came Upper Lake and finally the Black Valley proper, which was overlooked by the gaunt hills known as MacGillycuddy’s Reeks.

Muckcross Lake

Torc Waterfall

The Old Kenmare Road

Entering the Black Valley

Day 2 (Sunday 6 May) – the Black Valley to Glencar

This was the day of three valleys. It started with some walking on a paved country lane past Cummeenduff Lough. Then came a brief section of forest walking, after which the trail skirted past Lough Reagh – a scenic little lake overlooked by impressive hills. At the end of Cummeenduff Glen (valley no. 1), the trail climbed up to the Bridia Pass and descended to the Bridia Valley. This was followed by another climb and descent to Derrynafeana Glen. Past Derrynafeana, there was a stretch of walking on trackless terrain. There were so many twists and turns here that maps weren’t much use and it was important to follow the waymarkers. Bless whoever installed them.

Reflections on Cummeenduff Lough

Lough Reagh

On the Bridia Pass

Derrynafeana Glen

Day 3 (Monday 7 May) – Glencar to Glenbeigh

This was a relatively short day. It started with a walk through a stretch of managed forest where the hand of humankind lay heavy.  But then came the old-growth forest of Lickeen Wood, a magical place. Past Lickeen Wood, the trail followed a series of paved country lanes till it started climbing towards the pass known as Windy Gap. (There are another two Windy Gaps on the Kerry Way, but this was the only one I took.) The pass offered splendid views of Glenbeigh and Dingle Bay before the trail descended to Glenbeigh.

Caragh Lake

Lickeen Wood

Glenbeigh from Windy Gap

Day 4 (Tuesday 8 May) – Glenbeigh to Cahersiveen

This stage began with a walk through Glenbeigh Woods, also known as the Fairy Forest. Sadly the fairies did not show themselves. Then came a climb to the shoulder of Drung Hill, which offered fantastic views of Dingle Bay. Past Drung the trail turned inland, providing more splendid walking through rugged terrain, till it joined a paved lane and descended to the Ferta Valley.

The last section of the Way left the lanes and wound its way to Cahersiveen through farmland, but I opted for a more direct route to Cahersiveen using a mixture of country lanes and the N70 road. The next day’s route would retrace its way through the farmland, so I thought there was no point walking the same stretch twice. My short-cut shaved a mile off the route at the expense of some rather soulless walking.

Glenbeigh Woods

Indeed it is

Drung Hill

Heading inland

Ruined cottage in the Ferta Valley

Day 5 (Wednesday 9 May) – Cahersiveen to Waterville

This day’s walk started in persistent rain. It went through the farmland I had opted out of the day before, and I was glad I had skipped it. This section of the route was convoluted and once again I found myself navigating by the waymarkers, but they were not always clear and it took guesswork to interpret some of them.

Eventually the trail left the farmland behind and climbed Coomduff hill. By this time the rain had stopped, but a strong wind arose instead. For several kilometres the trail followed an undulating ridge, meaning that there were plenty of climbs and descents till it reached Knockavahaun peak – the highest point of the Way. A couple of the climbs were steep and involved scrambling on all fours, even as the wind kept trying to tip me over sideways.

There were plenty of stiles to contend with, along with a lot of mud and water on the trail. In places the trail disappeared altogether and you had to pick your way through the mud as best as you could. I’d never seen anything like it. I used my walking pole to test the mud but on one occasion I still managed to sink myself waist deep in a patch of bog. Luckily dry land was within reach, so I was able to haul myself out. Luckily, too, I had kept my overtrousers on, and my normal trousers remained surprisingly clean. Only the hems of my trouser legs got muddy.

Once off the ridge, the path joined a paved road where I was able to pick up the pace somewhat. The treacherous terrain on the ridge had slowed me down and it was getting late. This stage had a last climb in store, up a second hill called Coomduff, but I didn’t have the legs for it so I stayed on the roads. I got to Waterville after nine and a half hours.

Fairy cottage (it’s waist high)

Ridgeline walking

Stiles

The patch of bog where I went in waist deep

Day 6 (Thursday 10 May) – Waterville to Derrynane Bay via coastal route

This stage offered a choice of routes – a short coastal route or a longer inland route. After the exertions of the day before, I opted for the coastal route. It was a pleasant enough walk along Ireland’s Atlantic coast, with views of Ballinskelligs Bay, Darrnane Harbour and Derrynane Bay. All too soon I had to turn aside from the Way and head towards my accommodation.

All in all this was a great expedition which will be a treasured memory. It was my first visit to Ireland and I do not think it will be my last.

Waterville beach

Cliffs south of Waterville

Ballinskelligs Bay

Darrnane Harbour

Make the most of the available light

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Re: The Kerry Way
« Reply #1 on: 22:09:01, 31/05/18 »
A really good report and excellent photos kukkudrill. Looks a really nice walk O0

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:15:33, 01/06/18 »
Great photos - looks a lovely peaceful walk.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:37:15, 01/06/18 »
Really enjoyed the TR, Kukkudrill - what beautiful scenery, you got some absolutely superb photos of it.  O0 :)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:34:25, 01/06/18 »
Wow, stunning photos Kukkudrill, what a wonderful country Ireland is  O0

We have wanted to visit for ages, it is on the list of places to go.

Love the fairy house and forest  :)

"The forest is music for those who listen"  O0
Hate will never win

Kukkudrill

« Reply #5 on: 22:33:05, 01/06/18 »
Thanks all. Indeed it was a lovely walk through great scenery.

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:50:19, 02/06/18 »
Thanks, I might have to look into doing this. O0

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:22:49, 03/06/18 »
Great report and photos Kukkudrill O0  Kerry is my favourite county in Ireland for hiking and I remember visiting Torc waterfall a few years ago :)

Kukkudrill

« Reply #8 on: 22:57:04, 03/06/18 »
Thanks, I might have to look into doing this. O0

My pleasure  :)

Great report and photos Kukkudrill O0   Kerry is my favourite county in Ireland for hiking and I remember visiting Torc waterfall a few years ago :)

Thanks Henry  :)

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 07:40:59, 05/06/18 »
Great pics kukkudrill  O0
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Kukkudrill

« Reply #10 on: 21:16:52, 05/06/18 »
Thanks beefy  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy