Author Topic: Blencathra route advice?  (Read 1183 times)

Andies

• Veteran Member
Blencathra route advice?
« on: 16:37:41, 05/06/18 »
As something of a Lake District novice any advice on the easiest route for Blencathra? Mrs A is not keen on anything difficult and especially no scrambles etc....she is still not happy about my route up Carrock Fell of a couple of years ago, so any route has to be approved by herself first ::)

I had thought from near the Blencathra Centre up Blease Fell, onto Blencathra, and then down Scales Fell, making our way back by lower level paths?

Distance is not such an issue (within reason) but anything too steep or unclear doesn't go down well, and she likes an obvious track/path to follow  ;D  I don't mind a there and back if easier. Any advice much appreciated from those who know the area so that I can be reasonably informed before putting this forward for approval for September  :)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Blencathra route advice?
« Reply #1 on: 17:26:47, 05/06/18 »
This route is quite pleasant and less arduous than some. Good pub in Mungrisadle too.
http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/routes/download/?walk=1605
Solvitur Ambulando

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:00:49, 05/06/18 »

Distance is not such an issue (within reason) but anything too steep or unclear doesn't go down well, and she likes an obvious track/path to follow  ;D   

You’re not my husband are you?  ;D

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:17:18, 05/06/18 »
Blease Fell is quite steep, this may not go down (or up  :D) well! Ninthace's route looks the best bet, although it is quite steep for a short time on the descent near to Mungrisdale on the descent of Bowscale Fell.
Hate will never win

Andies

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:38:12, 08/06/18 »
Thanks for your responses.

I will take a more detailed look at ninthace's route as I hadn't really thought of approaching from the north O0

Rural Roamer I don't think I'm your husband  ;) Perhaps it's just a Suffolk thing, but then again you and your husband may, just like Mrs A, come from another place. I was born, bred, and learnt to walk in Suffolk ;D

Thanks April. I might be overplaying the steep issue somewhat, the biggest issue for Mrs A is being able to clearly see the route, and she takes great comfort from a clear and obvious path/track to follow. Am I right in assuming that my original proposed route up Blease Fell (and indeed onwards) whilst steep is obviously a route that many use etc... :-\

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:52:33, 08/06/18 »
Blease Fell is quite steep, this may not go down (or up  :D ) well! Ninthace's route looks the best bet, although it is quite steep for a short time on the descent near to Mungrisdale on the descent of Bowscale Fell.
Actually I went up onto Bowscale Fell first, (anti-clockwise circuit) to get the short climb out of the way early. It wasn’t that hard and once you are up the first climb, the navigation is trivial on a good day. Nice views down onto Bowscale Tarn too, not to mention the rest of the area as you head across to Bannerdale and Blencathra. Andies, have a look at the route on GoogleEarth, the paths are pretty much self evident for the most part and the ascent of Blencathra is accomplished in two separate climbs with a decent interval between them rather than in one slog.
Solvitur Ambulando

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #6 on: 12:22:32, 08/06/18 »
Be aware that the footbridge where Bullfell Beck meets the Glenderamackin River (which was swept away during Storm Desmond), is still missing.   It's possible to still get across the beck, even more so in the dry weather we've been having, but I wouldn't tackle it after a lot of rain.   See where arrow is pointing to on map link:  

http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=335665&Y=530260&A=Y&Z=120

Since Storm Desmond many people have been avoiding following the Glendermackin River, and instead have either gone up or come down the front of Bowscale, which has led to the path becoming very eroded.   I came down off Bowscale a few weeks ago, using that same route, and was surprised at how tricky it was to get down now.

Whatever way you go up Blencathra, it's either going to be steep or wet and boggy.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:15:47, 08/06/18 »
Am I right in assuming that my original proposed route up Blease Fell (and indeed onwards) whilst steep is obviously a route that many use etc... :-\

The route up Blease Fell is obvious and many people use it but it is a bit of a dull trudge going up it. If I was ascending/descending Blencathra via Blease Fell/Scales Fell I would go up Scales Fell and down Blease Fell. The views are better doing it that way, the views as you are descending Blease fell are rather good. Not quite as good when you are going up it!
Hate will never win

tom83

« Reply #8 on: 16:07:49, 08/06/18 »
I climbed up Blease Fell at the weekend, after parking at the Blencathra Centre. Even in the worst weather the path is easy to follow, and although its a bit of a struggle in places, it isn't massively taxing.

This is how the conditions were from the zig zag part of the path, but like I say the path was very easy to follow.

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 07:35:28, 09/06/18 »
... not keen on anything difficult and especially no scrambles ... anything too steep or unclear doesn't go down well...
Hmm, maybe Blencathra isn't the ideal mountain then? All the best bits are pretty gnarley :-)

That said, Blease Fell is a relatively easy route, if a tad dull. It's the grassy shoulder to the west end of the mountain - wide and with no ridges or drops and there's a straightforward path.

You can start from Threlkeld or drive further up a track to park near Blencathra Field Centre. It's then a plod up to the top of Blease Fell. Follow the path east to the summit of Blencathra.
Skip

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy