Author Topic: Waterproof Breathability Friday UK  (Read 945 times)

nesty

Waterproof Breathability Friday UK
« on: 09:06:52, 26/07/18 »
Will Friday be the ultimate test for any breathable waterproof?
Monsoon thunderstorms mixed in with some 36C (96F) temperature in places. I suppose similar to Thailand in places? 

Ronin83

Re: Waterproof Breathability Friday UK
« Reply #1 on: 09:47:09, 26/07/18 »
If its 36°c why do you need to keep dry?
I think people are too obsessed with things like that.
I walk in shorts through nettles and thorns(within reason), I soak myself in water wherever I find it(in summer) just to cool off and within minutes I'm dry again.
People in Thailand just get wet. Its either rain or sweat. I prefer rain

Mines a pint

« Reply #2 on: 10:34:00, 26/07/18 »
 Just the thought of wearing a waterproof in that temperature is making me clammy already! As Ronin83 says,just get wet.

Regards,Richard

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:16:30, 26/07/18 »

I walk in shorts through nettles and thorns.
Do you also wear a hair shirt and self apply the tawse?

:D
« Last Edit: 11:36:27, 27/07/18 by jimbob »
Too little, too late, too bad......

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:55:18, 26/07/18 »
I walk in shorts through nettles and thorns(within reason)

I’m told nettle stings are good for arthritis. Personally I never walk in shorts, the world is not ready for my legs yet and I don’t like nettle stings, sunburn, thorns, bitey things, ticks etc. Heck I have even been zapped by nettles through long trousers.

Back to topic, donning of my foulie depends how heavy it rains, how long it is likely to last (the contents of my pockets aren’t waterproof), how warm the water is and how cold the air is. Come Friday, staying home - been out today with Mrs N and it was so awful she is barely talking to me. Daren’t suggest another trip tomorrow. If it rains and it is as warm as advertised, I may frolic naked in the garden.
Solvitur Ambulando

Troggy

« Reply #5 on: 17:08:50, 26/07/18 »
Here's another vote for long trousers while out walking, too much of a wimp to chance it with midgies, ticks or any other form of sharp toothed little horrors, or even a nasty suck!

The last couple of days I had cotton T shirts on for the top bit and they got soaked. It didn't half chill me once the sweat soaked it brrr! Today I put a wicking one on, well, I still got sweaty and the top got wet but funnily enough, it didn't feel chilly. Chilly's to strong a word but wet cotton definitely would be bad news in cooler/cold weather.

Ronin83

« Reply #6 on: 21:11:19, 26/07/18 »
I dunno where you are, but here its been consistently late 20s/early 30s. If I wore trousers I'd be in pain. I've had to work in trousers on building sites in summer and ended up with nasty red raw crotch and bum crack from sweat and rubbing. I literally just can't handle it. ImI not big and overweight either.

Chilly? Oh come on man. Haha
Saying that I'm heading to Dartmouth for the weekend and it's saying 22°c and some rain so I could be made to eat my words.

Troggy

« Reply #7 on: 09:24:31, 27/07/18 »
I didn't say it was freezing, just trying to point out that the cotton would soon make you lose body heat in cooler conditions, in other words a breathability factor of [censored]* all. Also tried to point out that there is a limit of breathability in wicking/breathable clothing as well. As for waterproof breathable materials, I'm not so sure there is any waterproof breathable material,or combination of materials that would handle a combination of heavy work and hot, wet weather.
I'm not so sure that I'd want to go walking in shorts through brambles nettles and the like, no matter what the weather.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy