Author Topic: TR - Whinlatter & Coledale 2-day backpack  (Read 1438 times)

vghikers

• Veteran Member
TR - Whinlatter & Coledale 2-day backpack
« on: 18:33:57, 28/07/18 »
A quickly devised 2-day circuit of the northern hills of the Whinlatter Forest and the southern fells around Coledale.

The outward section, designed to include my one remaining unclimbed Dewey 500m top in the Lake District (Ullister Hill), follows the arc of hills from Lord's Seat to Graystones and descends to the pass at Spout Force and Scawgill Bridge.

The return section ascends to the Coledale fells via the north ridge of Ladyside Pike and Hopegill Head to reach the highest point of Eel Crag, then traverses its east ridge to Causey Pike. The route crosses the valley to Skelgill and follows the Cumbria Way to Keswick.

The main purpose of this trip was to test our research into the use of public transport for long journeys since our decision to go carless. This was my first backpack using entirely public transport, an opportunity to test the Advance Ticket rail booking and seat reservation system and the use of local bus services. It all proceeded extremely well and at very low cost.

In a recent Trip Report I didn't mention what happened immediately afterwards: on the drive home I totalled the car. Not as horrific as it sounds: although in excellent nick and running perfectly as always, it was 14 years old and the cost of repair would greatly exceed its value, hence the write-off. The end of an era.

Strangely, only a few weeks ago after reading some of the posts here, we were discussing the possibility of going carless. The wreck has settled the matter for us and this trip by public transport was a great success. It opens the possibility for more linear backpacks and long journeys are no longer a deterrent (I always hated driving long distances).

Full report & photos

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Whinlatter & Coledale 2-day backpack
« Reply #1 on: 18:40:04, 28/07/18 »
What is a 'Dewey' if you don't mind me asking?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:47:58, 28/07/18 »
The Deweys are the next level down from the 2000ft. Nuttall mountains, the hills between 500m and 609m (see Simon Edwardes hill-bagging site). There are some great hills in the list, although Ullister Hill isn't one of them!.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:24:38, 28/07/18 »
The Deweys are the next level down from the 2000ft. Nuttall mountains, the hills between 500m and 609m (see Simon Edwardes hill-bagging site). There are some great hills in the list, although Ullister Hill isn't one of them!.

Thanks; I only recently learned what a Wainwright was, let alone a Dewey or a Nuttall!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 07:47:40, 29/07/18 »
Some lovely photos in your trip report, vghikers; I particularly like this group of fells.

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:01:44, 29/07/18 »
Lovely pics as usual Geoff O0  A very interesting route and great to see you out in the Lakes again ;)
I tend to use public transport for my multi day walks and on the whole the Lake district is well served by trains and buses. The only drawback I've found is that the journey home can take most of the day ( especially recently with strikes and northern fail )

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:35:01, 29/07/18 »
Thanks Richard and Karl, it's been a few years since I was last in the Lakes, an enjoyable return.
I'm just getting started with the public transport possibilities, I started with a simple one to test the system - this trip didn't involve Northern Rail. I was really surprised by the low cost: with advanced booking (just the day before) and senior discounts, the total cost for the return trip from South Manchester was £38.80.

Expanding on that comment I made about Sail in my report, this picture was taken from Scar Crags:-

What can one say?. If you think it looks appalling from a distance, wait until you get up close and walk on it.
What was their name?...+F*++k the Fells?.

Maybe I should start another dedicated thread about this, not enough people will see this.

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 00:46:57, 30/07/18 »
Great pictures VG and thanks for sharing with us.

The Sail path has been discussed here before, I don't think it has many fans!
Not all those who wander are lost

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 05:31:04, 30/07/18 »
Expanding on that comment I made about Sail in my report, this picture was taken from Scar Crags:-

What can one say?. If you think it looks appalling from a distance, wait until you get up close and walk on it.
What was their name?...+F*++k the Fells?.

Maybe I should start another dedicated thread about this, not enough people will see this.

What an atrocity! Looks like some kind of bad joke.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:46:21, 30/07/18 »
Great report VG  O0

We pitched our tent very close to where you pitched yours when we were here a few weeks ago, we were closer to the wall though, the wind was too strong.

Yes that path has sparked debate on here before  :)

Re the buses, beware the Honister Rambler buses (or the Buttermere bus as the locals call them)  frequently break down/overheat or get stuck in lots of traffic and can't be relied upon to stick to the timetable. Give yourself plenty of time if you use these to get back to Keswick and you have a bus or train connection.
Hate will never win

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:57:39, 31/07/18 »
Thanks all. I'll say no more about that Sail thing, it'll only upset me. I don't know any really good answer to erosion but that isn't one.

April - I read your report on the Ladyside Pike pitch, that was a natural break point on my route and it seems few people walk that spur. I'll bear that in mind about the Honister buses, though I always err on the cautious side.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy