Author Topic: Poor choice of clothing? - Biking gear.  (Read 4186 times)

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
Re: Poor choice of clothing? - Biking gear.
« Reply #15 on: 17:38:46, 19/08/18 »

Yes, I agree about the far side. It's just a grass track, with 1 (very rickety) ladder stile. I don't remember a gate either; and I think I would have, as I'd have recommended Mrs HH use it rather than climb the stile.
I also remember the path for a couple of hundred yards or so just before the gate being very uneven and winding. Akin to a bit of spoil from mining / quarrying activity or something.

scorpain

« Reply #16 on: 17:55:00, 19/08/18 »
Oh I'm walking it. Have most things here with me now, just need to prep some chilli and buy a few snacks. Perhaps another bottle or two 🤔  ;D

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 17:57:40, 19/08/18 »
Oh I'm walking it. Have most things here with me now, just need to prep some chilli and buy a few snacks. Perhaps another bottle or two 🤔  ;D
The Stag at Dufton always served a good pint.
Solvitur Ambulando

scorpain

« Reply #18 on: 18:54:11, 19/08/18 »

Oh I'll be in there for a few before I set off and a good meal as well!
QQ - Is there a 'safe' place to park there? I know of a free car park, just sceptic after my car was really badly damaged and the other party left no note ¬_¬

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 19:33:19, 19/08/18 »
I've never had any problems on that car park There's not a lot of space though, I wouldn't turn up there on a sunny Saturday afternoon.. :D

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 20:12:30, 19/08/18 »
Car park soon gets full with walkers' cars especially at the weekend  or in the "walking season".  I used to get there between 8 & 9 in the morning to be sure of a place (and to get to back to the Stag for a lunchtime pint).  Car park is quite safe IMHO.  The street parking is not great either.  However, if you slip up the track by Billysbeck Bridge it used to be possible to slip a car off the road by the gate beyond Bow Hall at NY 70383 25053
Solvitur Ambulando

scorpain

« Reply #21 on: 21:56:28, 19/08/18 »

Ah wonderful. Weather report so far is no rain but not sunny. Cloudy 11 degrees which is probably perfect for my preferences and kit I have to go with.
Roll on the weekend now! Cheers again everyone!

scorpain

« Reply #22 on: 18:45:38, 24/08/18 »
So about to set off tomorrow  Now realised its a 90 minute drive rather than what I thought was only a 30 minute drive (fine example of how good I am )
Bag packed:
Phone with GPS tracker
Tablet with GPS and apps
Solar panel battery back
Torch
First aid kit
Comfy pair of boots
 clothing with thermals seperate
Snacks drink and food
Tent and sleeping bag
Other bits and bobs.

Extremely hyped for it  will let you all know how it goes :D thanks again!

Jim Parkin

« Reply #23 on: 21:03:46, 24/08/18 »
I *really* would take a map and compass as well

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 21:36:44, 24/08/18 »
Bing Maps has Ordnance Survey mode.byou can use that to print off a small map of the area, which is useful as a backup and is free.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 00:17:59, 25/08/18 »
Don't forget.... take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but footprints.  In other words, don't leave the place like a [censored] tip when you're done - take your empties home  O0

(sorry, it had to be said)

Enjoy your wildcamp and I hope the weather is kind  :)

scorpain

« Reply #26 on: 07:54:54, 25/08/18 »
Thanks very much for the bing maps! Got my ord. map. Have a compass as well.
Have a few bags for waste as well, don't worry about that one :)

Heavy bag though! Ugh....

scorpain

« Reply #27 on: 12:31:23, 26/08/18 »

And just got back home.
Verdict:

The clothing was great for the weather. Without any lining, the pants are airy keeping my bottom half cool and hiked up to the top in just the 'under shirt' I had which was a plain tight/ish t-shirt.
Got to the top and I should have thrown the thermal layer in straight away but chilled out a little too long. Either way, thermal layer on, in the sleeping bag - Cosy all night with temps of around 5*C. Shame it doesn't get pitch black up there though, was dusky all night long.
Slept ok...ish. The lounger wouldn't fit into the tent with space to lie on top but was excellent to have up there anyway to chill out on.
So future wise I'll have a proper mattress as well. Shoes as well, my boots weren't hiking boots but safety boots from work. Comfy/ish but I would have gone around the top and down the other route instead of back the way I went up.
On the way down it was forecast to rain so with the water proof lining in the pants and the jacked over the back of my bag, off I set on a decent. It rained as I reached my car ^.^ Legs were soaking though from the waterproof lining in the pants. Next time I'll have a set of pull-over water proofing lining for the pants. Really happy with how the gear worked though.
Solo hike-camp up to the top is haard work with all the weight of the bag.

Thanks again all, thoroughly enjoyed it and will definitely go back up once I have better gear for it.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 13:18:33, 26/08/18 »
Well done and you enjoyed it too :D now to get the pack weight down bit?
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 16:02:07, 26/08/18 »
Glad to hear that your trip went well, scorpain :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy