Author Topic: Upper Wharfedale  (Read 1149 times)

pleb

• Veteran Member
Upper Wharfedale
« on: 19:44:21, 04/10/18 »
Anybody done Buckden to Kettlewell pr vice versa via Litton and Arncliffe? Hoping to do it as never been to Litton or done the path from there to buckden. Would need help from the bus, as looks too far for me to start n fin at the same place.
Still looks big mileage, reckon can do it but timing looks tricky.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
Re: Upper Wharfedale
« Reply #1 on: 20:20:18, 04/10/18 »
I did Litton over to Buckden about this time last year.  It was one of those sad walks when the pub we were relying on for lunch (the George at Hubberholme) was shut that day.  We went back over by Yockenthwaite and Halton Gill, which I imagine would be a similar distance, and it didn't seem too long a day.  It's a reasonably straightforward path, though it was a bit discouraging that everyone we met seemed to be running or mountain biking it.  The Buckden Litton Arncliffe Kettlewell  (and other rounds involving going over that hill and back) were favourite walks of my youth, we used to try to get to at least three pubs in  which involved very careful timing as I remember.  Do they still pour your beer from a jug at The Falcon in Arncliffe?

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:02:08, 05/10/18 »
Dunno. Been to Arncliffe once (parked there) last year n walked to Kettlewell n back, never been in the pub. Famous for pouring from jug, so doubt they would change it.
Ta for the reply, i fancy the walk but not sure if can make the timing work.

vincebowdren

« Reply #3 on: 16:57:07, 08/10/18 »
If you can work out the bus times, go for it; all the paths over the top of that ridge are good (only occasionally boggy on the higher ground), and that specific area is one of my favourites. If you have time to stop for a pint, the Queens Arms at Litton is a very fine pub.

Also, it's not that far : 9 miles I make it, from a quick track through gmap-pedometer.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:55:27, 09/10/18 »
Ta, thought was longer. Tomorrow (wed) is looking good, maybe I will go? Dunno.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:59:17, 09/10/18 »
It's not that far, but you do have to go over the hill twice.  Do the Arncliffe to Kettlewell bit second, it isn't so far or so high!

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:03:19, 09/10/18 »
Suppose plan A is to dales bus it to buckden, walk to kwell via litton, arncliffe, then bus back south from kwell.
Plan B is park in arncliffe, still use bus between buckden and kwell to reduce distance.
If dont get done soon before buses knock off, suppose will still be there next year!

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:46:26, 09/10/18 »
Have a look at some permutations of walks in this area on my site. All the routes are free. Don't rely on the George at Hubberholme. It's hardly ever open during the day.

chriscab

« Reply #8 on: 21:58:34, 29/10/18 »
Littondale is one of my favourite dales. Simply stunning on a summers day.

staggerindragon

« Reply #9 on: 18:28:09, 30/10/18 »
While we're speaking about pubs in the area, has anyone been to the "new" White Lion in Cray yet?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy