Author Topic: Looking for totally waterproof gloves  (Read 3092 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Looking for totally waterproof gloves
« Reply #15 on: 15:34:07, 13/10/18 »
I have some Rab windproof water repellant gloves.  They do work ...right up to the point I grip something and push the water through the material!  However...because they're windproof, my hands stay warm even though they are damp as the wind isn't getting through the material.  It's weird but it works.

It was a bit of a revelation to me to be honest.

KimE

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 13:11:53, 14/10/18 »
The quest for totally waterproof gloves, a bit like the quest for the Holy Grail.

In summer and good weather in winter I use extremities fleece gloves, being fleece they get wet, I take two pairs. I have two pairs of quite expensive ski gloves, these are fairly good and take quite a long time to wet out. If I'm staying somewhere I can dry them out this isn't a problem as I can alternate them. I also have a pair of extremities fleece lined mitts and a pair of cheap unlined nylon overmitts which I use over a pair of pre-historic Dachstein wool mitts. Neither stays dry but the old wool ones are warmer once they are wet.       

Thetallestofpauls

« Reply #18 on: 09:00:45, 16/10/18 »
Showa 282 gloves are completely waterproof and used in cold room storage and the fishing industry.

I Used them alot on the hill last winter in rubbish weather, after an hour they do get abit clammy if your working hard. But are definitely the best thing to wear if it's poring fown

gary m

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 21:06:16, 16/10/18 »
I use marmot expedition mitts in winter, toasty warm and never had wet hands
you have 1 life live it

Maggot

« Reply #20 on: 23:01:45, 20/10/18 »
There are no such things as completely waterproof gloves!

Every single glove ever made has a huge hole in it, it's where you put your hand!  So unless you are in a sealed suit (space or drysuit for diving) your gloves will always have a massive hole in them!

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 10:16:09, 21/10/18 »
There are no such things as completely waterproof gloves!

Every single glove ever made has a huge hole in it, it's where you put your hand!  So unless you are in a sealed suit (space or drysuit for diving) your gloves will always have a massive hole in them!

Thank you for your "input"  :-\

Not entirely sure what you're getting at though as by your logic, no clothing or footwear can be waterproof  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Maggot

« Reply #22 on: 12:49:05, 21/10/18 »
Thank you for your "input"  :-\

Not entirely sure what you're getting at though as by your logic, no clothing or footwear can be waterproof  O0

Well quite.

There is such a thing as waterproof fabric, but you can't make 100% waterproof clothing.  Every item of clothing you have has many massive fail points because you have to have a hole in it to put it on.  A jacket may be 100% waterproof fabric, but it has a zip, a gap where your head sticks out, two hole where your hands come through, then all the little holes where the cotton goes as they sew it together.  All which will eventually let water in.

Boots can be totally waterproof, until the water is over about 5" deep, then it will leak in the top, where your foot goes in.

Gloves are the same, but with a million stitches holding them together all of which could fail.

So 100% waterproof fabric yes, 100% waterproof clothing made from that fabric no  O0

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 13:55:02, 21/10/18 »
I don’t think you will get something 100% waterproof that is also comfortable for walking in. There will always be openings and probably seams that will allow some water ingress. Anything that fully stops water coming in will probably turn into a personal sauna. I have used 100% waterproof clothing, but the gloves were separate: a dry suit for scuba diving and a survival suit when travelling offshore by helicopter. These have rubber wrist and neck seals and waterproof zips. They are uncomfortable and hot when walking in them.
I think the best bet is to keep out the majority of the water while retaining some breathability. Suitable under layers can wick the moisture away and the outer shell keeps the wind out. In end, rain will get inside, particularly in the hills, and the best we can do is to try and be as comfortable as possible.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 14:37:48, 21/10/18 »
Why call things "waterproof " then?
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 15:13:57, 21/10/18 »
As Maggot said, material can be waterproof to a certain specification, but practical walking wear will not be 100% waterproof. I don’t think most people expect that from their equipment.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 15:20:25, 21/10/18 »
I knew the "big hole where you put your hand in" thing would come. It always does. It's a cliche on outdoor forums. But it's true.

Fabric items can be waterproof in themselves but obviously water can flow around them or get in openings, that goes without saying. 20 hours in hurricane conditions and you're gonna be wet short of a deep sea divers dry suit.

But i don't think thats what people are discussing really. Membrane gloves and socks seem to have a higher propensity to actually leak than jackets and trousers over time. Maybe the shape of hands requires too many seams, or the pressure of footwear but these things never seem to stay waterproof for long.

IE you buy your Sealskinz they seem good first outing and then they start to let you down. And with gloves you have the added trouble that you keep taking them off to read maps etc. Each time you bring moisture in with your hand..

IME you can get a good result with waterproof mitts tucked under jacket sleeves to hamper rain getting in the openings. A lot less seams in mitts is my theory.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 15:30:16, 21/10/18 »
Membranes have a specification for the head of water they can keep out. Feet and hands subject the fabric to a lot of flexing and pressure, depending on the activity. The shapes of gloves, boots and socks normally mean more seams under strain.

Some of the most rain resistant gloves I had were thick woollen mittens. The wool would swell when they became wet and my hands stayed warm and dry. I don’t think they would have been suitable for scrambling though. Their demise came when my wife decided that she liked them and shrank them in the wash. 🙁

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy