Author Topic: Help for beginning scrambling  (Read 3072 times)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Help for beginning scrambling
« on: 18:00:31, 21/10/18 »
The closest thing I've done to scrambling is the Castlehead Wood view point and I want to do Catbells but I'm intimidated by the prospect of a scramble to the summit. Does anyone have any tips or videos or anything or is the best advice to just do it? Also, specific to Catbells am I right in thinking you can descend via stone steps? In my experience so far it's easier to go up things than go down them.

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
Re: Help for beginning scrambling
« Reply #1 on: 18:18:02, 21/10/18 »

No scrambling required at all on Catbells - just a bit steep at the end is all. Nothing to worry about at all. :) 

Here's a pic of Mrs HH arriving at the summit and she is petrified of heights or exposure of any kind. That drop looks much worse in this pic than it actually is too.
Catbells (1 of 1) by Ian Hart, on Flickr

« Last Edit: 18:23:59, 21/10/18 by Hillhiker1 »

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:25:59, 21/10/18 »
No scrambling required at all on Catbells - just a bit steep at the end is all. Nothing to worry about at all. :)

Really? Because jontea on the forum warned me there was a scramble near the summit and places on the Internet talk about a scramble to the summit like countryfile. Does it perhaps depend which path you ascend by? Or are they all wrong?

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:28:32, 21/10/18 »
Here's a pic of Mrs HH arriving at the summit and she is petrified of heights or exposure of any kind. That drop looks much worse in this pic than it actually is too.

That's reassuring as I too am scared of heights, the path in the photo looks scary to me!

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:33:03, 21/10/18 »

It's certainly not what I'd call a scramble although I suppose others might. And don't get me wrong; I don't like scrambling either!
It IS a bit steep and hands MAY be required for balance, but there's no exposure or any thing. Believe me when I say Mrs HH is petrified though. She really is, and she made it with minimal cajoling, although to be fair on the approach she didn't like the look of it at all.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:36:41, 21/10/18 »
There are one or two rocky bits, but I have a terrible head for heights, and I was fine.  I think it's a bit of an exaggeration to call it a scramble, as Hillhiker says there are one or two bits where you might use your hands, but when I was coming down, someone was coming up with a baby in a papoose.  You don't feel exposed at all.  (and if there was any exposure it would be seared into my brain)

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:41:02, 21/10/18 »
I also wouldn’t call it a scramble, but it depends what you are used to. I didn’t have any worries at all, but my wife didn’t want to do the final ascent to the summit. Be reassured that it is not Striding Edge or Crib Goch.

PS my wife is not a hill walker, so has very little tolerance for any steepness or exposure. She didn’t actually try for the summit, but was put off by the look of the approach.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:39:11, 21/10/18 »

I find the thing to do is to read lots of TRs, look at lots of photos, tell yourself if you don't like the look of it you don't have to do it.  Make sure you have an alternative route in case when it comes to the point you want to avoid it.
Then go.  I find once I have made my plans, it often isn't as bad as I am expecting.  And if it is, I have a nice alternative walk.
I do find, however, that I get better with practice.  At the end of the summer I can often tackle things I would have avoided earlier in the season.
And remind yourself that a fear of heights is a perfectly sensible reaction to the effects of gravity!  There's no shame in it.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:50:56, 21/10/18 »
Thanks guys. Do you have to go back down the steep bit or is there an alternative route down?

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:03:33, 21/10/18 »
Carry on over the top, down to the dip then take the path to the left, then left again at the bottom, takes you back to the start. About 3 miles all told IIRC O0

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 23:42:12, 21/10/18 »

I'd be hesitant to suggest Catbells just yet if you found the stone steps at Loughrigg intimidating.

I've done Catbells twice.... trip reports here and here.  If you do read them one of the things you'll notice is the first time I did it, it killed me off and I found it really hard.  The second time I did it (after getting lots of walks into my legs) I thought someone had flattened it as it didn't seem as steep as I remembered!

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 00:07:39, 22/10/18 »
Just realized where that is.. I was at school last time I walked up it. O0  .

Is it just this one climb or scrambling in general that you would like to try?  Some great information here if it is the later.
https://www.ukscrambles.com/lake-district-scrambles/
I used this site to plan a recent visit up to the lakes with my son.  As well as routes, there is also plenty of technical advice and safety tips.  If you find you enjoy it then before you know it you can get into some, let's say interesting situations.  I practice at an  in door bouldering wall.  If possible it's better to find/extend your limits with a nice soft mat under you. 

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 09:56:59, 22/10/18 »

Is it just this one climb or scrambling in general that you would like to try?

I want to do Catbells as people keep recommending it but I wouldn't mind having some basic scrambling ability so I could do walks with a little bit of a scramble in them. But...

I'd be hesitant to suggest Catbells just yet if you found the stone steps at Loughrigg intimidating.

Maybe I should learn to walk before I run.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 10:00:47, 22/10/18 »

Catbells will be no bother at all, Rob.

If you find steep descents a bit intimidating, why not give walking poles a try?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 10:09:35, 22/10/18 »

If you find steep descents a bit intimidating, why not give walking poles a try?

Any recommendations on which walking poles or will the cheap ones from go outdoors be suitable?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy