Author Topic: First Timers Advice for Walking and Edale  (Read 3031 times)

Little Foot

First Timers Advice for Walking and Edale
« on: 10:31:41, 05/04/19 »
Hello all, thank you for looking. I'm hoping I can get some advice for a trip myself, my son and my little dog are going on next week. We're staying at a B&B in Bradwell, travelling by train from Hull to Hope. We are staying from Thursday to Saturday.

A few things about myself, I've only ever been on one previous walking trip in the dales which was all down hill. I enjoyed it and I do enjoy walking but Hull is extremely flat, so it's easy to walk around the city etc. My fitness isn't too bad, but I'm quite overweight so this is a reason that has helped push me into doing more walking. My son is 11 years old and probably not looking forward to this trip at all haha  ;D  My son is a little clumsy at times, but I think he should be ok.

Now, my main questions are:

We'll be heading to Edale at some point, and also going to look at the caverns that are near Mam Tor. Is there anything else a young lad might be interested in around the area? Anything you can think of that we can do enroute, like activities and such? We'll probably be doing a short walk day of arrival, i.e. few hours, a longer one on the full day we are there, and a short walk on the day we leave.

What routes would anyone suggest that have a mix of terrain but aren't too difficult for novices? Also, I'm unsure of my dog around animals (I suspect she will be ok but she will be on a lead in most circumstances). Are cows with calves likely to be around?

I've ordered this ww w.amazon.co.uk/dp/0319242404/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE that should be ok shouldn't it? I've had to put a space between the web address as I am not allowed to post external links. It's the Ordnance Survey Explorer OL1 The Peak District - Dark Peak area if it doesn't work.

Also, are there any essentials do you think we'd need for our brief trip at this time of year? I have waterproof boots, jacket and backpack plus a walking pole. My son has boots, waterproof jacket and I've just sent for waterproof trousers as I envisage him falling over at some point lol. Do you think waterproof gloves will be good idea?

Appreciate any help, thank you.  :)

adalard

• Veteran Member
Re: First Timers Advice for Walking and Edale
« Reply #1 on: 10:44:25, 05/04/19 »
If you're staying in Hope, there's a circular walk from Castleton that I sometimes do with visiting friends/family. It's not especially challenging - my 70 year old mum, who is not a walker, managed it comfortably - but there is some fine scenery along the way (Cave Dale and Winnats Pass) and some great longer distance views when you're up above the valley (Great Ridge, Kinder, Win Hill, some of the eastern gritstone edges).

From Castleton, head up Cave Dale along the Limestone Way.

Then when you reach Old Moor, turn right on the bridleway and right again to walk NW on another farm track to Oxlow House.

When you reach the road, turn right and head for Winnats Pass, which you can then walk down back into Castleton.

There are little variations you can do using the various public footpaths around there - you could do Windy Knoll and the collapsed road instead of Winnats Pass for example. It's about 4.25 miles, with 1000 feet of ascent in total over the whole walk.

Little Foot

« Reply #2 on: 16:27:33, 05/04/19 »
Thanks for the reply. That looks a good walk to either start off or finishing the trip on. How long do you think that walk would take please? Funnily enough I've just spotted Cave Dale on the map and taken a closer look. That is definitely on the list now. It'll coincide with doing one or two of the caverns too so might make it the main walk, thinking about it.

You wouldn't happen to know which cavern in that area is the most suitable for dogs would you?

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:51:50, 05/04/19 »
Thanks for the reply. That looks a good walk to either start off or finishing the trip on. How long do you think that walk would take please? Funnily enough I've just spotted Cave Dale on the map and taken a closer look. That is definitely on the list now. It'll coincide with doing one or two of the caverns too so might make it the main walk, thinking about it.

You wouldn't happen to know which cavern in that area is the most suitable for dogs would you?

Hard to say really  - maybe a couple of hours? It'd depend on how fast you walk - and how often you stop to take photos or just look around, explore the dale etc. If you want to make it a longer route, you could perhaps incorporate Mam Tor and miss out Winnats Pass, returning to Castleton (or Hope) via the Great Ridge.

I do know that there are often cattle on the footpath that passes Windy Knoll and, across the lane, in the field below Mam Tor. I don't know if there are any out at the moment. We've been past a few times recently but I haven't really paid attention. If I'm over that way between now and next Thursday I'll keep an eye out but of course I can't guarantee they won't be moved there after I've gone.

I don't know if any of the caverns allow dogs to be honest. I think you'd have to check with them beforehand but from my limited experience it seems unlikely that they would do.

Little Foot

« Reply #4 on: 17:30:24, 05/04/19 »
Cheers, I appreciate your help. I imagine my dog would be ok, just you never know, and I know cows don't particularly like dogs. If she starts looking a bit nervous I'll pick her up, and if the cows start charging, I'll let her go. lol

I've checked the caverns and yep, the ones I've looked at (Blue John, Speedwell, Peak and Treak Cliff all accept dogs, which I'm quite surprised at really. One is a boat trip which might be easier as she can get a bit nervous and I wouldn't want her under my feet on slippery steps. Was hoping one had a lot less steps than others haha.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:38:47, 05/04/19 »
Cheers, I appreciate your help.

No problem, happy to share any info I have.  :) O0

I've checked the caverns and yep, the ones I've looked at (Blue John, Speedwell, Peak and Treak Cliff all accept dogs, which I'm quite surprised at really. One is a boat trip which might be easier as she can get a bit nervous and I wouldn't want her under my feet on slippery steps. Was hoping one had a lot less steps than others haha.

Oh, that's good to know. Speedwell Cavern with the boat does have a steep descent via steps to get down to the waterway, which you might want to bear in mind - and you have to re-climb them at the end as it's a "there-and-back" route . It's the only cavern I've been in even though I live nearby so I can't speak for the other caves.

Hope you both enjoy your trip.  :)

Little Foot

« Reply #6 on: 17:41:12, 05/04/19 »
Thanks, just crossing my fingers for the weather now!  :)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:39:00, 06/04/19 »
With the caverns Peak probably has the least/easiest steps.

If it is not too hot a day, and you've done some walking, would your dog be happier asleep in the car for an hour rather than underground?

Little Foot

« Reply #8 on: 12:55:06, 06/04/19 »
With the caverns Peak probably has the least/easiest steps.

If it is not too hot a day, and you've done some walking, would your dog be happier asleep in the car for an hour rather than underground?

Thanks for the info. Unsure about whether to risk it with the dog. She can get a bit nervous and tends to spin when she's unsure of something, so it might not be a good idea. We won't be using a car, we are using public transport. I think we will probably head to the caverns first thing if I do decide to risk it.

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:05:21, 06/04/19 »
I've visited all the caves around Castleton. I'd say by far the most interesting is the Blue John Cavern. The Treak cliff cavern a short walk away is pretty much more of the same. The peak Cavern in the Village is pretty good (they hold concerts in there at Christmas for the acoustics) and it's also got a pretty sad story associated with it too...
The speedwell, IMO, is the least interesting. Although there's the novelty of an underground boat ride, which is nice enough. It's just a run out (about 20 mins IIRC) along a straight tunnel to a cavern where you get out for a few mins, then the same run back.
For a youngster the walk down the land slipped road back to Castleton may be an interesting wander.

Little Foot

« Reply #10 on: 18:30:32, 06/04/19 »
Thanks for the info Hillhiker1, that's interesting to know. I might do two of the caverns, depending on my dog. I would have probably opted for the boat ride, but now you've explained your thoughts, I'm not sure I'll bother. I'm more a sucker for a good story.

RobertJames

« Reply #11 on: 08:33:15, 07/04/19 »
Be sure to fit a day into the schedule for a visit to the Ladybower Dam, the best route would be to catch the train to Bamford and after getting off at the station it's a relatively easy 2.3mi walk along the Derwent Heritage Trail to the main Derwent Dam. You might also be lucky to see a RAF training flight during a weekday, i've seen C130s, an Atlas A400m, as-well as the usual Tucano's and civilian pleasure-flights.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:19:25, 08/04/19 »
If you fancy a particularly easy route, possible to use part of Derwent Valley Heritage Way for the half day walk..basically just follow river Derwent from Hope to Hathersage, and catch a train back.

There’s a really good cafe in Hathersage (can’t remember name, but very close to open air swimming pool, and close to rail station).

If weather is really bad..certainly if you are arriving by car...worth thinking about a train ride into Manchester or Sheffield. Just “soaking up” scenery is enjoyable and will enthuse you about future walking possibilities.

(Sheffield has a theatre and cinema close to railway station. Manchester has a number of attractions...National Football Museum for example...and no need to worry it’s about football in general rather than focusing on either of the big Manchester teams.)

Little Foot

« Reply #13 on: 19:11:25, 08/04/19 »
Be sure to fit a day into the schedule for a visit to the Ladybower Dam, the best route would be to catch the train to Bamford and after getting off at the station it's a relatively easy 2.3mi walk along the Derwent Heritage Trail to the main Derwent Dam. You might also be lucky to see a RAF training flight during a weekday, i've seen C130s, an Atlas A400m, as-well as the usual Tucano's and civilian pleasure-flights.

Oh, I like the sound of that, it certainly sounds doable for the first day. I might get the train to Bamford instead of stopping at Hope, and do that walk straight away (depending on how much crying my son is doing carrying his kit lol). Thanks for info.

If you fancy a particularly easy route, possible to use part of Derwent Valley Heritage Way for the half day walk..basically just follow river Derwent from Hope to Hathersage, and catch a train back.

There’s a really good cafe in Hathersage (can’t remember name, but very close to open air swimming pool, and close to rail station).

If weather is really bad..certainly if you are arriving by car...worth thinking about a train ride into Manchester or Sheffield. Just “soaking up” scenery is enjoyable and will enthuse you about future walking possibilities.

(Sheffield has a theatre and cinema close to railway station. Manchester has a number of attractions...National Football Museum for example...and no need to worry it’s about football in general rather than focusing on either of the big Manchester teams.)

Unfortunately I'll be using public transport. I don't think it'd be worth while travelling to a city as I will have my dog with me so she would be out of bounds to most places. I'm getting a tad worried now about the weather and how cold it will be. Hopefully I'll have prepared enough, but don't want to go OTT either.

I did do a walk from Malham Tarn to Carlton a couple of years ago, and a part of that, you had to walk on large uneven rocks. I managed that ok, so I don't mind a a bit of difficulty, just not the entire length of the walk lol.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:12:17, 08/04/19 »
In that area using public transport for walking works pretty well. There’s a fair number of buses in area, and rail line links all the “key” towns and villages like Dore and Totley, Grindleford, Hathersage, Hope, Edale, Bamford, Chinley.

It means you can be flexible...no need to do a circular route to get back to car...so you can catch a train from Hope in the morning to one of other villages, and walk back to Hope...plenty of routes to do that, while doing almost zero road walking.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy