Author Topic: Hadrian's Wall 3½-day backpack  (Read 1412 times)

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Hadrian's Wall 3½-day backpack
« on: 12:24:17, 14/04/19 »
A 3½-day solo training backpack of the popular Hadrian's Wall national trail, or Hadrian's Way as it is signed at the eastern end near Wallsend Metro station.

A weather forecast for several days of dry conditions with a persistent fresh easterly air stream gave a rare opportunity to hike it east-to-west with the wind at my back the whole way. The first day was grey and murky, no great loss since the easternmost section is largely urban, but the rest were much better than expected and mainly sunny throughout, perfect for this route that has lurked on a back burner for years.

Full report & photos

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Re: Hadrian's Wall 3½-day backpack
« Reply #1 on: 15:22:44, 14/04/19 »
A 3½-day solo training backpack of the popular Hadrian's Wall national trail, or Hadrian's Way as it is signed at the eastern end near Wallsend Metro station.

A weather forecast for several days of dry conditions with a persistent fresh easterly air stream gave a rare opportunity to hike it east-to-west with the wind at my back the whole way. The first day was grey and murky, no great loss since the easternmost section is largely urban, but the rest were much better than expected and mainly sunny throughout, perfect for this route that has lurked on a back burner for years.

Full report & photos

Great report and some superb pictures.
Water appeared to be an on-going problem , yet you passed many streams, rivers, ponds etc - have you considered using a water filter (such as the Sawyer) ?

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:03:54, 14/04/19 »
I enjoyed reading that earlier with my cuppa.  Thanks for posting  :)

You got some epic daily miles in there mindst  :o

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:53:37, 14/04/19 »
@Alan - thanks very much.
We never use filters. They are never needed in our usual hilly haunts and we can usually buy water at reasonably frequent intervals on low level treks. I think the HW is unusual (for England at least) in running so many miles without a reliable source like a shop or petrol station.

Mel - thank you too. I'm beginning to wonder if those epic mileages are a good idea these days...

hongkongphooey

« Reply #4 on: 02:50:34, 15/04/19 »
Some gorgeous pictures which took me on a trip down memory lane as its a part of the world I'm very fond of. I have walked most sections of HW and also rock climbed on Peel Crag.

Thanks for sharing  O0

FTSTTLB

« Reply #5 on: 07:47:51, 15/04/19 »
Nice trip report! And impressive. Done it myself (and have blogged about it), although in more than twice the days.
Great photos as well.
You do meet some nice people along the road, so I'd try to fill my water bottles there as well.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:35:12, 15/04/19 »
Thanks hkp. Peel Crags look impressive rising abruptly from the grassland, good sport for short climbs I would think.

Thanks FTSTTLB, I read your report and it's highly impressive with the extensive detail - great stuff.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:20:42, 16/04/19 »
Great write up vghikers  O0 Hadrian's Wall has been my back yard all my life and I do like reading peoples reports when they do it. When we go walking there we always take enough water with us. The water sources are scarce and most of them pass near farms so even filtering the water wouldn't make the water very appealing.

The path was diverted after Newburn in Tyne Riverside Park to avoid walking across a fairway on the golf course. You used to have to ring a bell to alert golfers you were crossing so they didn't clonk you with a golf ball  :) The path still goes through the golf course but on a safer route.

I am wincing at the mileage you did each day  O0
Hate will never win

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:07:05, 16/04/19 »
Thanks very much April.
I was lucky with the Post Office and the water, I'll plan better next time. Good info on the diversion, it should really be on their interactive map at National Trails.
It was a good striding out trek dawn to dusk, great to do but only occasionally!.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy