Author Topic: Satellite phones, do you own and use one?  (Read 1172 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Satellite phones, do you own and use one?
« on: 11:06:49, 08/05/19 »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Satellite phones, do you own and use one?
« Reply #1 on: 11:36:55, 08/05/19 »
Nope  O0
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:56:57, 08/05/19 »
I have one in my Lear Jet and a spare in my Lambo.  ;) 
Solvitur Ambulando

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:00:24, 08/05/19 »
Just trying to get used to one these phones that I inherited from my daughter.
Don't have one of these beacon things....I do have the OS Locate function so can immediately get a six figure map reference. ...however I would have to be able to have contact with the system to send the digits out on say an e mail.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:17:11, 08/05/19 »
Ive been lucky enough to use one, some years ago, but their only disadvantage, is that they cost an absolute fortune to buy.
A really good one, costs in excess of a £1000, but as with all technology, prices are coming down, but even a no thrills version costs many hundreds, so unless its vital you require a mobile signal, keep using your mobile phone.

They work almost everywhere, using the GPs global positioning satellites in space, but unlike our Garmin GPs units, the satellite GPs will allow data and messages to be transferred around the planet.

I am sure many of us have watched Everest summits use them to phone home whilst on top of the world.

I recon the technology, will remain expensive for quite some time, as since America owns virtually all the satellites, they want to ensure those who want to use them, pay dearly for the pleasure.

It was one of my friends in South Wales who owned a Motorola model, and it was straightforward to use, but at the time, very expensive to operate, around £1.50 a minute.

Its a good thing the technology exists, but as they have been around for some time, its unlikely the technology will become mainstream, like our mobile phones.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:17:52, 08/05/19 »
Ive been lucky enough to use one, some years ago, but their only disadvantage, is that they cost an absolute fortune to buy.
A really good one, still costs in excess of a £1000, but as with all technology, prices are coming down, but even a no thrills version costs many hundreds, so unless its vital you require a mobile signal, keep using your mobile phone.

They work almost everywhere, using the GPs global positioning satellites in space, but unlike our Garmin GPs units, the satellite GPs will allow data and messages to be transferred around the planet.

I am sure many of us have watched Everest summits use them to phone home whilst on top of the world.

I recon the technology, will remain expensive for quite some time, as since America owns virtually all the satellites, they want to ensure those who want to use them, pay dearly for the pleasure.

It was one of my friends in South Wales who owned a Motorola model, and it was straightforward to use, but at the time, very expensive to operate, around £1.50 a minute.

Its a good thing the technology exists, but as they have been around for some time, its unlikely the technology will become mainstream, like our mobile phones.

taxino8

« Reply #6 on: 12:47:07, 08/05/19 »

I’ve never used one but I do own and use a Garmin InReach Mini which transmits and receives texts and my location via satellite so it’s useful where there is no mobile signal.
« Last Edit: 17:17:33, 08/05/19 by taxino8 »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:50:16, 08/05/19 »
DA you read the link?  The item in question is a SpotX which is not a phone as such, it is satellite SMS device costing €300.

"SPOT X provides 2-way satellite messaging so you can stay connected to family, friends and colleagues whenever you're outside of mobile range, including direct communication with Search & Rescue services in case of life-threatening emergency. SPOT X even provides you with your own personal mobile number so others can message you directly from their mobile phone or other SMS devices at any time.!

A sort of beefed up version of the UK emergency SMS service available on any mobile (provided it is registered)
Solvitur Ambulando

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 13:29:20, 08/05/19 »
Not used one of the handheld sat phones, I did use one way back in 1980 from the Kenyan bush to the UK. It filled a Landover trailer and had a six foot dish.

My inReach tracker gives two way texting that's enough for me.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:40:15, 08/05/19 »

Used a handheld Iridium sat phone when I worked on remote lighthouses, Sule Skerry in particular - a bit beyond mobile phone coverage! Very expensive and chunky, and I would not consider one for walking.

..although I would consider something like the tracker system that Owen mentions above if I were heading into the remoter Highlands for several days.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

dank86

« Reply #10 on: 22:04:48, 09/05/19 »
I dont have a sat phone but I do have the spot satellite tracker, most of my trips are solo and it gives friends and family peace of mind being able to check my location, and having the ability to send preset messages is nice, at the end of the day ill fire one off saying im staying here with my location.
im not sure id want the newer spot x that can receive messages, if people know you can receive messages the tend to expect one back.

dank86

« Reply #11 on: 22:11:36, 09/05/19 »

A sort of beefed up version of the UK emergency SMS service available on any mobile (provided it is registered)

The spot devices work where a phone wont and can summon search and rescue, there are places in Brecon where emergency sms wont work because there is no coverage from any network but the spot will still get the message out.
After a bit of searching around I found this, If you do not have a signal on your home network, you will not be able to send a text to 999.  

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy