Author Topic: National forest way near Bradgate country park and surrounds Leicestershire..  (Read 1123 times)

GnP

• Veteran Member
Has anyone walked near Bradgate country park, along with Swithland wood/beacon hill etc. Is it worth me driving 60mile for a days hiking there. I dont mind driving up there if I can expect some nice scenery and a few hill climbs..I have a route marked out but open to suggestions. It looks like good walking on the Ordnance Survey map, but you never can tell. O0

A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Owen

• Veteran Member
I grew up around there and I would say a big YES. Bradgate park, Swithland woods, Beacon hill and Nanpantan Outwoods are really nice walking area. Lots of very old oak woods and open heathland. If you're lucky you might even catch a glimpse of an adder, if you're quick.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
We live in Suffolk and have stopped off at Bradgate Country Park a couple of times on the way to visit our son who lives in Nottingham. As country parks go it's up there with the best of them, plenty of variety, hills, heath, not always too busy if you get away from the popular bits.  As to the surrounds I can’t help you as we’ve never had time to do a longer walk.

GnP

• Veteran Member
I grew up around there and I would say a big YES. Bradgate park, Swithland woods, Beacon hill and Nanpantan Outwoods are really nice walking area. Lots of very old oak woods and open heathland. If you're lucky you might even catch a glimpse of an adder, if you're quick.
Oh I love the idea of walking through Oak woods....thanks
We live in Suffolk and have stopped off at Bradgate Country Park a couple of times on the way to visit our son who lives in Nottingham. As country parks go it's up there with the best of them, plenty of variety, hills, heath, not always too busy if you get away from the popular bits.  As to the surrounds I can’t help you as we’ve never had time to do a longer walk.
Thanks for the thumbs up about Bradgate country park too...

Owen

• Veteran Member
I just thought, if you can go in bluebell season.

GnP

• Veteran Member
I just thought, if you can go in bluebell season.
It`s a possibility. where is the best place to see them.?

Owen

• Veteran Member
Swithland wood or Nanpantan Outwoods. Swithland is nearer to Bradgate park, just down the road.

GnP

• Veteran Member
Swithland wood or Nanpantan Outwoods. Swithland is nearer to Bradgate park, just down the road.
O0 I will make sure to take my camera, thanks.

Lazar

Sounds good not far from me will probably look at doing a walk there.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy