Author Topic: TR: East Yorkshire - Paull Foreshore Circuit  (Read 3830 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
TR: East Yorkshire - Paull Foreshore Circuit
« on: 21:56:02, 14/04/19 »

It seems like ages since I went out for a walk that wasn't "the scenic route to the shops" but my new Meindl shoes needed their maiden voyage and I had a couple of hours spare before my evening meal.  So I had a lovely, albeit short, meander around Paull.  This is my favourite local walk but it fell out of favour with me for a while due to over-doing it and it got meh, and boring.  My last visit was in December last year in a last-ditch attempt to bag my 365th mile.

This evening's walk was a much more leisurely and relaxed affair.  Weak sunshine poking through the hazy clouds and a, ermm, how can I put it? .... Refreshing.... breeze coming down the river.  But it was lovely and I still wish there was an option to make it a longer circular walk.

Anyway, a few pics (well, a lot of pics really considering it's only a couple of miles!):

I had a little race with the ferry as it headed out to sea:

I lost my race so contented myself with a nice walk through the woodland:

Although the trees are leafing up nicely, not much is growing yet so I was surprised to see these:

Are they baby bluebells?

I took a trespass around the back of Fort Paull Battery.  Fret ye not, the path is a well walked one and well maintained with the scrub and brambles being regularly cut back, it's just not marked on the map that's all.  It's paths like these that make me not care about whether or not the "only" paths you can walk are official rights of way.

After reaching the road, it was a short plod along it before turning off down a farm track.

Views of Saltend cooling towers from the road:

As I headed along the farm track and decided someone must have flattened it.  This is what constitutes a hill around here:  

At the pointless gate and stile, I turned off-piste to walk to the bird hide.  I'm truly gobsmacked how dry this usually marshy land is, with large cracks, normally associated with the height of summer, already appearing:  

Looking across the salt flats towards the Humber:

I didn't stop at the bird hide - the wind was in the wrong direction and the hide didn't provide any shelter at all.  So I carried on along the parched ground which sounded hollow it was so dry.  

Random patch of primroses:  

I finally got to the river bank.  The tide was out.  I decided to test my new Meindls on the rocky "beach" of the estuary.  

View towards the Humber Bridge (not that you can see it):
[/color]  
Wind turbine factory - what you can see are the uprights for the blades:

I acquired a 4 legged friend on the beach, his humans shouting him back frantically, along with telling me he's friendly... yes, he was very friendly and I have the paw prints to prove it!  

Poor attempt at an arty-farty pic:  

And so it was back to civilisation along the newly "refurbished" flood embankment, complete with wheelchair accessible path.  On the one hand, it's good that the houses affected by the tidal surge a couple of years ago are now protected and it's good that wheelchairs users can access a bit of wild and woolly, but on the other hand, it's somehow tamed and urbanised the walk.  

Obligatory signpost OCD pic:  

So that was that.  A lovely early evening walk and I feel really quite invigorated for doing it. 

And my new Meindl shoes?  Passed with flying colours.  Comfy straight out of the box, as I knew they would be as soon as I put them on in the shop.  No excuses for not walking now eh?!

Thanks for reading  :)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: TR: East Yorkshire - Paull Foreshore Circuit
« Reply #1 on: 22:11:46, 14/04/19 »
Good to see you getting out for a walk and the flowers coming out for spring  O0

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:51:33, 14/04/19 »
Lovely pic of the primroses Mel   :)

This is my favourite local walk but it fell out of favour with me for a while due to over-doing it and it got meh, and boring.  My last visit was in December last year in a last-ditch attempt to bag my 365th mile.
I think it's a good idea having a bit of a break from familiar walks, because you can then come back to them with a renewed freshness     :)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 00:31:31, 15/04/19 »
Glad your walk went well Mel. I think your arty farty picture was worthy of an art student, though it would look more arty if you blurred the background or messed with the colours. The woodland section looks particularly nice.

I googled the Humber Bridge to find out where you were, somewhere near Hull? I rode into Hull by mistake bringing a motorcycle back from Yorkshire but that's the only familiarity I have with the area.

Shame about your hill. It would appear it's vertically challenged. Any plans for hill walking this year?

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:09:38, 15/04/19 »
Hull is best avoided, but dont say that to Mel, she gets very defensive about her home  :o
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:45:05, 15/04/19 »

Nice TR and pics. Just good to get out and glad the shoes performed well
Yes they're bluebells but I don't think the other flowers are primroses as primroses have only a single largish flower per stalk. Cowslips and oxslips have smaller multiple flowers on a main stalk like your photo and yours look like oxslips with the flowers looking upwards rather than bending down.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:01:58, 15/04/19 »
A good little walk for an evening. I've noticed some areas are strikingly dry for April.
Yes, that refreshing easterly breeze :) we have a sort of standing euphemism here for that: "just the weather for standing through a nil-nil draw at Hartlepool..."

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:23:07, 15/04/19 »
Enjoyed that, Mel.  O0  It's very dry here too - I was up on the moors today and my boots were as clean at the end of my walk as they were at the start!

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:01:54, 15/04/19 »
Nice photos Mel...especially the Ox-roses! :D
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:15:36, 15/04/19 »
Good to see you getting out for a walk and the flowers coming out for spring  O0

Cheers Ridge, t'was nice to get out  :)

Lovely pic of the primroses Mel   :)
I think it's a good idea having a bit of a break from familiar walks, because you can then come back to them with a renewed freshness     :)

Thanks Dovegirl.  Trouble is, I'd forgotten what a lovely little walk this is so I'll no doubt do it to death again  ;D

Glad your walk went well Mel. I think your arty farty picture was worthy of an art student, though it would look more arty if you blurred the background or messed with the colours. The woodland section looks particularly nice.

I googled the Humber Bridge to find out where you were, somewhere near Hull? I rode into Hull by mistake bringing a motorcycle back from Yorkshire but that's the only familiarity I have with the area.

Shame about your hill. It would appear it's vertically challenged. Any plans for hill walking this year?

Cheers Rob.  My arty-farty pics are simply when I try a different camera angle to see how it changes the view (the one above was taken from low down to the ground - except I didn't get the view straight and ended up with a sloping sea!).  Near Hull is as close as I like to be to the place.  My only hill walking plans are to complete a bit more of my County-Bagging Project. 

Hull is best avoided, but dont say that to Mel, she gets very defensive about her home  :o

Thanks pleb, glad you liked the trip report  O0

Nice TR and pics. Just good to get out and glad the shoes performed well
Yes they're bluebells but I don't think the other flowers are primroses as primroses have only a single largish flower per stalk. Cowslips and oxslips have smaller multiple flowers on a main stalk like your photo and yours look like oxslips with the flowers looking upwards rather than bending down.

Cheers Jac.  Yes, the shoes are out of the starting blocks now so need some mud and bog to test them out.  Just googled oxslips and yes, that's what they are (primulas?).  Strange to see a random patch of them in the middle of the marshland though - almost like a memorial planting.

A good little walk for an evening. I've noticed some areas are strikingly dry for April.
Yes, that refreshing easterly breeze :) we have a sort of standing euphemism here for that: "just the weather for standing through a nil-nil draw at Hartlepool..."

Haha, vghikers, I like that  ;D

Enjoyed that, Mel.  O0   It's very dry here too - I was up on the moors today and my boots were as clean at the end of my walk as they were at the start!

Ta adalard.  Yes, mine were still in pristine out of the box condition after my little mooch.  Mustn't complain though, it's nice not to have to bog-hop and slip-slide around in mud.

Cheers sunnydale.  I just googled ox-roses and the images that come up aren't the same  ???   (I'm surprised cos I know you know your plants  :)  )

wombat

« Reply #10 on: 22:37:05, 15/04/19 »
Enjoyed the report,brought back memories as used to go to Paull a lot when i lived in Hull. Managed a walk there last year, and spent a lot of time there with my dad in the car park, as he used to like looking at the river and the ships. You have inspired me to get there this year and go for a walk and a brew along the foreshore
Cheers, Ian :)

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 22:46:04, 15/04/19 »
Cheers wombat.  Feel free to give me a yell if you do decide to visit - I literally live 5 minutes away.  Oh, word of warning though, the path around the mudflats (heading towards Cherry Cobb Sands / Stoney Creek) is currently blocked due to erosion and flood prevention works  :(

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 09:53:57, 16/04/19 »

Rechecked my identification of the yellow flowers - sorry there was a slip (pun intended) in my spelling, should be oxlip, primula elatior.
A lucky spot. I don't think I've ever seen one in the field but the primula family are rather promiscuous so could have been a hybrid.
  Can't find a ref to Ox-roses would it be a local name for them?
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 10:04:12, 16/04/19 »
Why is Paull called Paull? Does it refer to somebody called Paul?
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:45:54, 16/04/19 »
Nice TR Mel  O0

I know what you mean about doing the same walks near where you live, it is best to do them less often  :)
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy