Author Topic: Getty - use a “preferred bridleway route and footpath avoiding driveway”  (Read 2555 times)

fernman

• Veteran Member
I've walked past there, didn't realise whose it was  but it stank of money!

The Telegraph makes a big thing about the permissive path, though, in a journalistic attempt to blacken the owners further. Pesonally I think they're good and I'm always happy to use them to preserve someone's privacy, for that's what they're usually for. There was one on a walk I did three weeks ago, in the same area funnily enough, it was clearly and politely signed at each end, with one arrow pointing towards the definitive path and one pointing towards the permissive route. I think only an obstinate person would insist on going the "proper" way.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
I too use permissive paths where they are convenient - did so around High Ground farm on Birker Fell above Eskdale recently - a pleasant diversion around a working farmyard.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
It's only a matter of time before the inevitable post appears from......
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
It's only a matter of time before the inevitable post appears from......
Now I wonder, who that might be? I would look forward to any more enlightened thought than the usual knee jerk thinking encouraged by our fourth estate.

Personally I can see little for anyone to get their nickers in a twist. Apart from Kate Ashbrook's 'off centre' reaction that usually is a mix of her conservation ideas clouding those real issues that should be concerned with ACESS and our freedom to enjoy our countryside. The deer fence should be a planning issue, does it interfere with the quality of way that the new route offers and is the new route an actual improvement, relative to the countryside in the quality of way of that footpath.

Now if Tara Getty really wants to improved access.......................... just a 1.5 miles away is Wormsley Park, perhaps anyone with any commercial nouse should be twisting the collective Getty arm to open up more access in a X zone (exclusion zone of 1500 acres) but the likes of Kate Ashbrook don't look at the commercial element of access. There is good quality countryside within that area deemed suitable privacy for the Earl of Westmoreland in the the 1700's. The Getty family enjoy 2500 acres of privacy for horse riding etc. 1500 acres unsullied by the intrusion of those who fear to wander off the righteous way. How can the value of that countryside be evaluated when it has been excluded from plebeian view for centuries. Now threaten it with a windmill or two and Kate Ashbrook will suddenly discover its value.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

GnP

• Veteran Member
See:-
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/12/28/getty-oil-tycoons-grandson-caught-row-privacy-near-buckinghamshire/
This post is a tad old & I know nothing of the area but in my view if a diverted path is as good if not better than walking close to someones windows then it will suit me.I always double check that I have right of way when walking through private land and close to private buildings as I feel at times I am intruding, even with a right of way.The thing I do not like is when people/landowners put signs up that vaguely suggest we have no right of way, when on the map it shows one.

It puts occasional doubts into my mind but once made up I walk on through, waiting to be challenged & ready with a counter.
There is a place in mind OS Grid Ref: SP 12227 58919 (Great Alne Mills)  that you have to enter by a gravel driveway and finally iron gates with signs that to all intents are put up by the council but I suspect just bought on E Bay or copied. These signs point away from the buildings over a bridge and along the far side of a field by a river,  then back onto the footpath. On the OS map however it shows nothing like this and just a virtual straight path past and very close to two front doors of these building which by the looks of them were barns in the past but have been converted to homes.
« Last Edit: 20:58:32, 20/01/19 by GinAndPlatonic »
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

GnP

• Veteran Member
Getty is reported to have withdrawn his plan
https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2019/01/17/tycoon-gettys-grandson-withdraws-controversial-chilterns-deer-fence-bid
I read that too. I wonder of he thought maybe the negative publicity would drive more sightseers to that pathway, & so now wants it to die down.
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy