Author Topic: So what Walking Goodies did you get for Christmas.  (Read 4075 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: So what Walking Goodies did you get for Christmas.
« Reply #15 on: 08:45:03, 26/12/18 »

SMC guide to the Southern Highlands from my daughter - I now have the complete set of these excellent guides, and it is timely as we will be staying at Lochgoilhead in March.

She also gave me 'The Last Hillwalker' by John Burns - if this is anything like as good as his 'Bothy Days' book then I am in for a treat! I shall save it for when I am wild camping.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 09:34:11, 26/12/18 »
A Montane Extreme Smock, great bit of kit just need sub zero temperatures with windchill now  :)
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 10:18:01, 26/12/18 »
Someone bought me 'The last hillwalker' last birthday, and I chuckled happily through the first couple of chapters before anyone could wrest it off me and remind me of what I was supposed to be doing.  I really enjoyed it, a good one for winter days by the woodburner.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 10:32:02, 26/12/18 »
Someone bought me 'The last hillwalker' last birthday, and I chuckled happily through the first couple of chapters before anyone could wrest it off me and remind me of what I was supposed to be doing.  I really enjoyed it, a good one for winter days by the woodburner.

I'm really looking forward to it, but have decided to exercise some self restraint and save it for when I go solo wild camping.

I do recommend 'Bothy Days', a wonderful series of tales, set in magnificent country, funny, often hilarious, in places touching, thought provoking, provocative - a great read, which had me laughing out loud at times. I particularly like the chapter on the futility of Munro Bagging.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 18:59:58, 27/12/18 »
Not heard of the OS book until this thread, then my walking buddy gave me a copy this morning as he got two!  Looks good.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 20:15:40, 27/12/18 »
A lovely person gave me a Goal Zero Lighthouse Micro Lantern.
No batteries, it is USB chargeable, which takes up to 3.5 hours from mains, PC or solar charger. It is a very bright 150 lumens which can be full on or half on, with both dimmable, and it has a hanging loop.

One gripe: the tech specs state the product is 68g and mine weighs 78 g. That is only half an ounce more in old money, but it is an additional 14.7% if my maths is correct. I'm thinking of having a dig at the  American manufacturer about it.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 20:23:48, 27/12/18 »
I do recommend 'Bothy Days', a wonderful series of tales, set in magnificent country, funny, often hilarious, in places touching, thought provoking, provocative - a great read, which had me laughing out loud at times. I particularly like the chapter on the futility of Munro Bagging.

I'm thinking of getting that after reading your recommendation, but before I order it do you mean "Bothy Tales" by John D. Burns (the author of "The Last Hillwalker"), or the older "Mountain Days and Bothy Nights" by Dave Brown and Ian Mitchell?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 20:45:28, 27/12/18 »
I'm thinking of getting that after reading your recommendation, but before I order it do you mean "Bothy Tales" by John D. Burns (the author of "The Last Hillwalker"), or the older "Mountain Days and Bothy Nights" by Dave Brown and Ian Mitchell?

Bothy Days, by John Burns, Fernman.

..although I do have the other.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 21:50:54, 27/12/18 »
A lovely person gave me a Goal Zero Lighthouse Micro Lantern.

I bought one of these a few months back. It is a great lantern  :)

Well I got some walking socks  :)

I did get money though to buy what I want, I just have to decide what I need the most. New waterproof or new laptop, I can't afford both.
Hate will never win

Ralph

« Reply #24 on: 07:57:48, 28/12/18 »
April, I would go with the waterproof, not yet seen a laptop with a hood.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 12:14:52, 28/12/18 »
New waterproof or new laptop, I can't afford both.

Waterproof any day, unless your laptop is completely broken. Gaynor's awaits.... :)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 12:20:55, 28/12/18 »

Bothy Days, by John Burns,
I may get a copy of this, sounds interesting and I have a book token from my birthday which I've not used yet.

My vote is also for a new coat April.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 12:25:06, 28/12/18 »
Another vote for jacket April.  If nothing else, having a new waterproof jacket in the bag means its unlikely to rain for months!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 17:34:08, 28/12/18 »
I got some gift card/vouchers for Winfields  :)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 18:27:00, 28/12/18 »
Not only did I get the OS quiz book but my son got 2 copies!
Fortunately one was from my sister who, even before he opened it, said she had the receipt if he already had it.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy