Author Topic: Does anyone practise any party tricks whilst walking?  (Read 1030 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I have to confess that I did at one time, really impressed my nieces and nephews when they were younger. I took off the rubber end of my hiking sticks and with my left hand in the horizontal position and with palm up I placed the metal tip on the end of my middle finger, momentarily held the stick with my right hand in the vertical position, then let go and by just looking at it I learned how to keep it vertical for ages.

Eventually, I found that I could even walk along a footpath (ideally a smooth one) and still by looking at it, and quickly looking at the ground, (I didn't want to trip over) I could keep it vertical until I got fed up. I can still impress any little visitors we have with this trick, I have a broom always standing by in our garden, that always impresses them.

When I've been on campsites when Mum's and Dad's who are camped next door are having problems with their children's behaviour I've made a surprising number of A5 sized paper aeroplanes (mine glide and loop the loop) which usually does the trick by distracting them from their tantrums. I always ask Mum and Dad first of course, never had a refusal yet, and some Dad's have also played with my planes as well! Nothing worse than trying to get to sleep with screaming kids having a blow out!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Does anyone practise any party tricks whilst walking?
« Reply #1 on: 18:56:36, 11/02/20 »
I've tried to learn juggling but could never get the hang of it.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:09:29, 11/02/20 »
Singing - hardly a party trick unless you want people to go home!  Also practice but always fail in trying to whistle using fingers on my tongue - looked at loads of clips on YouTube but still can't do it!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:12:20, 11/02/20 »
I can, a requirement of growing up when I was a lad, I can even whistle using all of my individual fingers.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:18:54, 11/02/20 »
Juggling is a useful skill if you forget your shopping bag - that way you never have to carry more than two things at any one time.
« Last Edit: 19:31:25, 11/02/20 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:20:49, 11/02/20 »
 O0

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 00:25:20, 12/02/20 »
Juggling is a useful skill if you forget your shopping bag - that way you never have to carry more than two things at any one time.
Did you learn using kegs of Rum or bottles of Port?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:54:58, 12/02/20 »
Not a trick but something that children often find very fascinating. All males have STRAIGHT arms and all females have BENT arms! Roll up your sleeves, arms out straight, palms up, imagine a dotted line down the middle of your arm, you will then notice this anatomical fact.

Another one for children. Ask if any of them can stand on one leg for 10 seconds or more. They usually shout back "easy!" The rule is they have to outstretch their arms directly in front of them, close their eyes, stand on one leg and then count! Most children fail after about 5 seconds, it can be done of course but they often need to practice.

The best family game I've ever seen on a campsite which made most children scream was on a campsite where the family, children and their campsite friends played the game 'Long John Silver' - the man with one eye, one arm and one leg. The kids have to wait at the back of the tent and are warned NOT to look! Dad (usually) will sit on a chair with one arm in his jacket the other arm out, one leg in trousers, the other one out and a patch over one eye PLUS secretly having HALF A TOMATO in the hand that the child knows nothing about. NB, half of the tomato is most important!

When Dad's ready, Mum or another adult will BLINDFOLD a child, but which one has the nerve to meet Long John? Children have a habit of winding themselves in advance up so Mum usually doesn't have to do much to get the tension going. Once blindfolded she will take the child to Long John and introduce them to each other. A bit of acting is required at this point, Mum gives a commentary of what is going on move by move, second by second, so "Hello, Long John" and both will shake hands. Dad does the "Ho, Ho, Ho, pieces of eight" routine. Mum then reminds the child that Long John only has one arm, one eye and the so the next move is to get the child to feel the empty sleeve and the empty trouser leg. She will then ask the child to feel Long John's eye patch and guides the child's fingers to it. The next move is to suggest that the child touches the eye patch again, but this time Dad brings out and holds out the half of tomato and Mum says "and this is Long John's eye" and plunges the child's finger into it!!! The child usually screams, Mum whips off childs blindfold and he or she runs off laughing. Dad keeps half of the tomato hidden so that the next child can participate. When the children behind the tent hear the screams, their tension rise, pity the last child to meet Long John, a quivering wreck even before the blindfold goes on. All show business, but if done well, lots and lots of family fun.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:07:48, 12/02/20 »
The other trick I saw from this same family was later in the evening. Dad asked all of the children, there must have been about 18 of them by now from all over the campsite.

Dad asked if any of them were good at copying movement, every child, of course, shouted out "Yes!" Dad then got all of them to stand in one straight line, shoulder to shoulder, with about 1 -2" gap between them. Dad stood in front of the line, all of the children facing him and he said "Attention!" and explained that he wanted them all to copy exactly his movements. He then put one arm out, then down, the other arm out then down, one leg up and down, hands-on-hips and bend down then up, a variety of movements to lull the children into the copying routine without thinking. They loved it!

He then moved to one end of the line, carried on talking and lifted up an arm again then lowered it, a leg and lowered it and so on. He then squatted down and all the children followed his example, at this point he then pushed the child squatted to the side of him and every other child fell over like dominoes!!! That totally surprised them, they all fell over and screamed screamed with laughter! Soon after they all went to bed, I never heard a sound until the morning!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:37:03, 13/02/20 »
Just one more.

I know how to play 'five stones' and am good at it, on a wild camp, hip flask at the ready such a good game to pass the time away if I don't want to read, 'play' on my phone or do much thinking before I retire for the night.

Little Foot

« Reply #10 on: 16:59:30, 14/02/20 »
Ok, I tried the bent arms with my son, who is a short, skinny 12 year old, and his arms looked bent, going out away from his body. Are you sure it's women who have the bent arms as mine looked straight?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:56:16, 14/02/20 »
I'm sure there is always an exception to the rule, I personally haven't met one yet, it might not be so noticeable on your son because he hasn't finished growing yet. However, if you check yourself and your wife arms I'm sure you will see the difference. Men's arms are straight, women's are not. It's supposed to be the same for legs as well, but as an older man, I make a point at not looking at peoples legs.  :)

Little Foot

« Reply #12 on: 20:04:18, 14/02/20 »
Er, I'm a woman. I'm getting worried about my profile pic now!  :o

Haven't got an other half to check with, that's why I tried it out on my son. I'll have a look at my dad's arms if I remember when I see him at weekend. Not checking his legs lol

myxpyr

« Reply #13 on: 20:11:08, 14/02/20 »
I've tried to learn juggling but could never get the hang of it.
Do you keep dropping your balls? :2funny:

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 21:04:32, 14/02/20 »
Er, I'm a woman. I'm getting worried about my profile pic now!  :o

I think GWM should be worried about his eyes. ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy