Author Topic: Alpkit Soloist  (Read 8663 times)

dank86

Alpkit Soloist
« on: 23:05:24, 05/06/19 »
Ive had this tent a few weeks now and i'm very impressed. Its Alpkits new one person tent, has a decent amount of space and I can sit up in it!
Its light weight at 1.2kg and very reasonably priced, in different setups it is lighter, from memory around 800g was the lightest. In a few weeks im going to put it through its paces in the alps. Currently on pre order but starting shipping over the next few days.

https://youtu.be/oX2wd1dp2FE

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
Re: Alpkit Soloist
« Reply #1 on: 06:40:46, 06/06/19 »
Looks good for a dry European climate.....maybe less useful in the North here where we have a couple of weeks of very wet weather.
For obvious reasons would never have a tent that had not a 'first pitch' flysheet system.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 07:51:31, 06/06/19 »
I share your preference for fly first, vizzavona, but a lot of people do manage perfectly well with inner pitch tents here in the UK.

However, inner first is not a deal breaker for me, there are other factors that I value more, such as strength, ease of pitching, good ventilation control (especially a double mesh/solid inner door). And price, of course. In fact my latest object of desire is a 4 season inner first one man tent - Nordisk Svalbard, and the Soloist also attracts my attention for summer use.

I think that the Soloist can be pitched fly first if you have the footprint, by the way.
« Last Edit: 08:39:32, 06/06/19 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 07:53:19, 06/06/19 »
Thanks for the update, Dan. I'll be interested to hear how you get on in the Alps.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:05:02, 06/06/19 »
Interesting tent!
Light weight. Good price. It's a more natural-looking green colour than most green tents. Good internal height, but 100cm width seems a bit narrow to me, while I personally would not like to go back to using a tent with an end door.
I didn't see floor plan and dimension diagrams on the site, did I miss them? And it would be good if they explained more about how you "strip it down" to save 400g weight.

dank86

« Reply #5 on: 15:10:16, 06/06/19 »
Looks good for a dry European climate.....maybe less useful in the North here where we have a couple of weeks of very wet weather.
For obvious reasons would never have a tent that had not a 'first pitch' flysheet system.

Its held up well in sunny wales (I had it up with the rain) it should cope admirably with however much water hits it. Ive used inner and outer pitch first tents and not had any issues pitching in the rain. There is a way to pitch this one outer first if you use the optional footprint.

It would be good if they explained more about how you "strip it down" to save 400g weight.

You didnt miss the floor plan there isnt one that I know of, as for the weight saving its either using the inner only which comes in at 806g ish or outer and footprint which is about 967g. If we get another year like last year with clear weather then ill be using inner only for a bit myself

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:34:05, 06/06/19 »
As a solo tent it doesn't look that bad to me. A bit short of staching space when you've got lots of wet kit but that wouldn't be a deal breaker. I don't see why it wouldn't be ok for "the north" even with the rain we're having just now.

How much?

dank86

« Reply #7 on: 17:37:09, 06/06/19 »
Owen its £119 without the footprint or £125 with the footprint. The footprint is available separately for £20

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:26:40, 06/06/19 »
Very reasonable.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:08:07, 06/06/19 »
It really is a bit of a steal at that price. No wonder they are out of stock.

dank86

« Reply #10 on: 19:13:45, 06/06/19 »
richardh1905 its not had a full general release yet, I only know of about 3 other people whos got one. I ordered mine about 2 months ago and I was told June 10th for the release, but yea its really good value!

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:33:15, 06/06/19 »
I didn't see floor plan and dimension diagrams on the site, did I miss them?
Yes - the schematic is one of the "More Images" set of pictures on the Full Description tab.

Exceptional value admittedly, but a 20D floor  :o No wonder they recommend a footprint (which adds to the weight of course - why not just have a decent groundsheet in the first place?).
Much like our Big Agnes tents that have 20D floors as supplied to achieve very low headline weight figures. Thinking of some of our really rough pitches over the years, we want a floor that gives complete confidence.

I personally would not like to go back to using a tent with an end door
Agreed, side doors are much better for us too.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 22:20:48, 06/06/19 »

I instinctively would prefer a tougher groundsheet, but this would probably weigh as much as the thin groundsheet + footprint.

And, to be fair, the footprint does allow more flexibility: fly only or fly first pitching.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 22:49:03, 06/06/19 »
And, to be fair, the footprint does allow more flexibility: fly only or fly first pitching.
Yes that is what attracted me to this system there are a few permutations which make it suitable for different situations/weather forecasts.

I do think I may try to get into one of their shops to have a look, probably on my next trip up "home".

Too little, too late, too bad......

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 11:30:15, 07/06/19 »
Is the tent a Chinese 'knock off' like Naturehike tents for example? I only ask because of the 20d, all of Naturehike's are made from this size of material.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy