Author Topic: What do you carry but have never used  (Read 2279 times)

andybr

Re: What do you carry but have never used
« Reply #15 on: 10:02:18, 10/02/20 »
Wasn't that the main purpose of a plastic survival bag? At one time my friends and I would regularly drive out to the Cleveland Hills from Scarborough if it snowed just to do a bit of decent "plaggy bagging".

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 12:54:34, 10/02/20 »
Most of the things that people are suggesting are things you take and hope you never have to use! But still need to take them.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 14:24:20, 10/02/20 »
Most of the things that people are suggesting are things you take and hope you never have to use! But still need to take them.

A bit like 'insurance'.

"Better to have and not to need, than need and not to have".

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 16:22:37, 10/02/20 »
I’ve always carried a whistle but luckily, I’ve never needed to use it.
Most used bit of kit (apart from clothing) is my sit mat. Not much meat on my bum so comes in rather useful! :D
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 09:57:43, 11/02/20 »
Most used bit of kit (apart from clothing) is my sit mat. Not much meat on my bum so comes in rather useful! :D

On damp ground I find a laminated OS map fits well
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 10:04:38, 11/02/20 »
On damp ground I find a laminated OS map fits well

Fully opened?  :)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 10:14:19, 11/02/20 »
I've racked my brains and I've discovered four things that I carry but have never used, my driving licence, my EHIC card, my 'rape' alarm and my Pebbell alarm.

I connect my 'rape' alarm to my rucksack with a length of fishing line when I use my bivi, just in case it goes for a walk in the night.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 10:16:32, 11/02/20 »
Got that wrong. I do use my 'rape' alarm but its never gone off though.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 10:33:14, 11/02/20 »
I don't carry anything I've never used, somethings don't get used very often like my first aid kit.

My spare cloths don't get used much on day walks but do get used on overnight trips. I sometimes use my bothy bag for lunch stops especially if I have company and the weather is inclement.

Maps, compass, headtorch, hat and gloves get used all the time. The GPS occasionally and the waterproofs come out far to often.

I only carry ice axe and crampons when I think I will need them but the poles are used regularly. Especially if I'm carrying a heavy pack.

Patrick1

« Reply #24 on: 11:10:45, 11/02/20 »
I was going to say first aid kit, but actually, over the years I've used most items from it, including plasters, painkillers, scissors, needle and thread, superglue and strip of fabric repair tape. The only never used item in there (so far!) is a length of tubigrip bandage. I have to admit I can't remember the last time I used my compass in anger, though I do get it out occasionally for practice or to show the kids how to use it. I do carry a survival blanket on day walks which I've never used, but not in multi day walks when I reckon my sleeping bag / tent would do the same job. Interesting question, though!

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 11:40:28, 11/02/20 »
Fully opened?  :)
That's not a question you should ask :)
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 11:53:45, 11/02/20 »
I’ve not used the survival blanket or bandages in the first aid kit, but compeed, ibuprofen and tubigrips more often than I would like. Just waiting for someone to post that they haven’t used their waterproofs!  ;D That’s not going to happen is it?!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 12:43:08, 11/02/20 »
I’ve not used the survival blanket or bandages in the first aid kit, but compeed, ibuprofen and tubigrips more often than I would like. Just waiting for someone to post that they haven’t used their waterproofs!  ;D That’s not going to happen is it?!
  Oh I dunno.  I don't use my waterproofs very often - that is what weather forecasts and planning is for.  I day walk and am retired so I can pick my days, time and area.  I have a look at the days ahead forecast and pick out the "walking days" then plan around that.
Solvitur Ambulando

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 14:28:52, 11/02/20 »
  Oh I dunno.  I don't use my waterproofs very often - that is what weather forecasts and planning is for.  I day walk and am retired so I can pick my days, time and area.  I have a look at the days ahead forecast and pick out the "walking days" then plan around that.

I still haven't worn the waterproof overtrousers I bought in October 2018!

I do use my 'rape' alarm but its never gone off though.

Somehow I don't think you are ever likely to need that.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 14:46:05, 11/02/20 »
Somehow I don't think you are ever likely to need that.
  Well I have heard there are people prowling round the Chilterns with an unused pack of 3.  Better safe than sorry  ;)
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy