Author Topic: Blog, Facebook or something else?  (Read 1227 times)

Jenmcc

Blog, Facebook or something else?
« on: 17:31:44, 10/02/20 »
I’m not sure if this comes under ‘gear’, apologies if not.
As mentioned elsewhere we are walking LEJOG this year starting in April. Friends have asked if we are going to do a blog or something. I’m after advice as a complete novice to blogging. Another friend suggested a Facebook page. Would this provide an better/easier alternative? My intention would be to upload a couple of photos and brief update each day (WiFi etc permitting).
All advice gratefully received. Will only have smartphone.
Thanks

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Blog, Facebook or something else?
« Reply #1 on: 17:55:54, 10/02/20 »
If your blog is just for friends, you create a Whatsapp group and that would keep it private
Solvitur Ambulando

Jenmcc

« Reply #2 on: 19:23:08, 10/02/20 »
Might be friends, rellies and ex-colleagues etc. Don’t know anything about Whatsap, will have to investigate.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:57:55, 10/02/20 »
If you decide on a blog, I very strongly suggest avoiding Blogger (aka BlogSpot) for reasons too lengthy to explain fully here. WordPress is a far better choice for a blog and just as easy to set up for non-techies (I think).
I know very little about WhatsApp except that it's owned by Facebook, that's enough for me! >:(

wobblyknees

« Reply #4 on: 11:14:05, 12/02/20 »
+1 for Wordpress.
Very good and free. Though your first blog will take a lot of time as there is a fairly steep learning curve. Not something you want to be learning on the road, especially if you only have a smartphone. I advise setting up a learning blog before you go to get the hang of it.

I advise using WhatsApp (despite the Facebook connection). Far easier to use on the road.

wobblyknees

« Reply #5 on: 11:15:28, 12/02/20 »

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:06:10, 12/02/20 »
I get on ok with Blogger, have been doing it for 12 years. Put pictures on the post, then add words. Not sure how easy it is using a handheld device, I don't have one. One entry from a long walk in 2013.
https://meanqueen-lifeaftermoney.blogspot.com/2013/09/day-4-middlesbrough-to-saltburn.html

Facebook is quite easy. Tried Wordpress once, couldn't get on with it.
ilona

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:30:25, 13/02/20 »
When we did the Pennine Way a few years ago we set up a page on Facebook. Those without facebook could still see it by clicking on the link I sent them. I uploaded a few photos with a bit of blurb each day. It’s here if you want to see it, can’t seem to find a link now but if you search on facebook for Sue & Keith’s Pennine Way Adventure 2016 you should find it.

WILDWALKINGUK

« Reply #8 on: 14:09:33, 15/02/20 »

If you only have a smartphone, and you will be updating as you walk on this device, my advice would probably be Facebook - particularly if the point is to update friends on your progress. If you do decide to start a blog, though, I would definitely recommend Wordpress. This is the platform I use for my blog. There are two different types, Wordpress.com (which is free) and Wordpress.org (which you pay for each year). For lots of reasons that I'm happy to share if you're interested, I chose the paid version of Wordpress.org. It's far better and suits my needs. Basically, have a think about what you think you'd like to do with the blog. Don't be put off by thinking they are difficult to set up - both versions of Wordpress are really easy to use and you don't need any prior technical knowledge. They provide loads of help too. 
I walked Lejog last year if you want to have a look https://wildwalkinguk.com/2019/02/10/gear-list-route-plan-wild-camping-lejog/  
A great experience.
Enjoy!

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:43:36, 16/02/20 »
I have used blogger in the past but now I use Wordpress. Wordpress took me more time to get started, but after that I could make it exactly the way I wanted.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Jenmcc

« Reply #10 on: 16:04:13, 20/02/20 »
Many thanks for the advice everyone. I have downloaded WhatsApp and will try using that. It seems nice and simple and OK for family and friends. I don’t think I need the pressure of trying to blog. :) .

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:10:06, 20/02/20 »
Wise choice.  A blog can be a real chore at the end of a tiring day.   Do you really want the world knowing your business and where you are going to be and what you are going to do which then creates pressure to do it?
Solvitur Ambulando

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:48:51, 20/02/20 »
Good choice! The whole point of walking (at least for me) is to immerse myself in nature and disconnect from everything. Personally I don't even carry a phone with SIM when hiking. I do write a (paper) diary though and like to write long reports when I'm back home after the adventure is finished. For me it's like what the photo album with subscripts was in the old days.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy