Author Topic: [Trip Report] Kinder Scout via Grindsbrook. One of my last reports of KS?  (Read 2329 times)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
Sort of. Kinder is a path not so much well trodden on here as possibly eroded. So in terms of regular routes on Kinder this will be one of my last ones.  We've a walk a over the plateau planned which I'll post as I'll have new hi res pictures and you need that mud in all it's glory  ;D

Ofcourse if we wander around Kinders lesser travelled parts (and we intend to) the reports will be here as usual. This report is one of the most popular routes so I'm not adding much new. Ofcourse if when walking we see something unusual or it's particularly striking then expect a report as usual or at least a post to the Photo section.

This report also introduces the elevation profile. Something I'll try and include on all reports from now on. Photo bucket is still crying into it's beer so this will probably take two messages.

Still on with the motley, if we have any left (points for whoever gets the reference).

Date of Walk - October 10th 2009
Conditions - Generally good weather. A little cloudy but dry. Need I add it was windy up top?
Distance - 7.95 miles. Good paths or at least a very clear route ahead.
Fitness factor - Oh yes. We had the Lake district factor with us.

So I give you the OS Map, courtesy of Crown Copyright, and the elevation profile.

We start in Edale village parking up and making use of the facilities. It now seems the cafe by the station will be open most of the year as well. Bonus! We need somewhere to get our Fentimans (they still haven't sent me a cheque  :( )

Oh you may be wondering about the Lake District factor. Basically after going to the lakes (trying to get more often next year) we're probably as fit as we are all year. So we now had a modicum of fitness. This walk would normally be a bit tiring. Following our exertions in the lakes this was a walk in the park. It's not often I can say that about Kinder Scout! Though the mud factor was low which always helps.

Even though this was October it looks like the Church in Edale was preparing for Remembrance Sunday (have you got your poppy?)

Now it was near the time the students came back across the country so Edale was much busier than I'd expect for an overcast October day. As the bridge out of town adequately illustrates.

Most appeared to be going up Ringing Roger via the Nab. Well good luck to them I thought. I knew it was windy up top (thank you MWIS) and I was sure their walking boots would be fine. I wasn't quite so sure about the V necked sweater, cotton short-sleeved shirts, tracksuit tops, trainers, regular shoes, trousers or jeans would be quite as suitable for the conditions. No I'm not making this up.

The way ahead was nice and clear though.

It's not especially clear on this picture but either someone was lost(ish) or they thought walking Grindsbrook Clough meant walking the stream bed. Here is a waterfall with no real path. So I've no idea what they actually did. Though I saw them walking the stream later on so they must have made it.

Still it takes all sorts. Slight lunacy seemed to be a factor all day it seemed. Plenty of regular walkers around but more than matched by the jumper'll be fine even in 30mph damp winds brigade.

Eventually we reach the start of Grindsbrooks rocky bits (tm).

I alluded to this in a previous report. We accept Grindsbrook is actually a fairly easy route up. Nice and enjoyable the steep bit you expect never really comes. Looking from a distance though definitely gives you that "Whoah" feeling.

In part I think the fact the Grindsbrook is so diverting takes your mind of the actual climb.

That and when you actually get to the steep bits (tm) you're more concerned about a steady footing, using your hands if needed and just making sure you don't get wet to worry about the climb itself.

So when you actually get to the top you sort of wonder where the steep bit (tm) actually went.

Part 1 of 2.
© Dazza 2009

« Last Edit: 22:52:37, 01/11/09 by Dazza »
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Dazza

• Veteran Member
Part 2.

As expected the wind was really blowing across the tops. It was still dry but more than a bit chilly. We donned our fell-ware to keep the chill off. Showing some sense considering their choice of office-ware the poorly dressed contingent headed back down. A sensible move for all involved.

Apart from the chill they seemed to enjoy it so no doubt they'll be back. No doubt better prepared. A lesson learned in a safe way at least.

Looking forward we spied our next destination. A potential food stop - Crowden Tower.

It's a fairly short jaunt to the tower, but a good one. Slightly strange was the Lemming like queue, thankfully no one jumped.

The clough itself was fairly quiet, but we must say hello to Dave.

Passing the clough we made our way to a different rocky outcrop to shelter from the resident Kinder wind and have some nice hot food.

The food was nice even if the smell of it caused a few jealous looks. A gas stove and cheap pans like we have didn't costs much, especially for the use we get - £20 each? Was nice though  O0

After eating we made it to the woolpacks. A truly wonderful place. Until now I haven't managed to get that many photos of the packs. I rectified that this time.

After the Woolpacks Kinder still has many boulders lurking around. Some with names, some without.

Soon enough though we spied the way down - Jacobs Ladder. As we were now uber fit I didn't expect any problems. That and I had my sledge with me  ;)

I think Genji would describe this next one as Go. To. Hell (do not pass go, do not collect £200).

As we ended our walk the cloud had started to thicken. Although we had had nice, if breezy, conditions. Good walking weather all things considered.

On the descent it was clear work had started on the footpath renewal. You can see why but I do wish they'd do the same on the plateau and popular paths. I'm not a fan of excessive paths but Kinder is suffering from erosion terribly in places. Maybe that's a future project.

Going down the ladder we meet the lonely gate post.

The now quite impressive Cairn.

Sadly some people sliding down the rather steep hills. Above an 8ft drop into a rocky stream. Yes, some of them did struggle to stop. The mind boggles.

Normally on this walk we'd go the Pennine Way route back, but just for a change we went the road way back.

As I say this will be one of my last reports of popular KS routes (unless circumstances demand it of course) but KS is much more than just these.

A good walk and due to the lakes an easy one. In six months time however.....

Part 2 of 2.
© Dazza 2009
« Last Edit: 22:56:21, 28/10/09 by Dazza »
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

colliecorner

• Veteran Member
 O0 great report

I stayed at the campsite at upper booth and got lost myself on kinder trying to find the pennine way from crowden head.... looks like you were better at map reading than me  ::)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
O0 great report

I stayed at the campsite at upper booth and got lost myself on kinder trying to find the pennine way from crowden head.... looks like you were better at map reading than me  ::)

Oh I don't know. I've just walked this route quite a lot so whilst I carry a map, it's kind of optional.
Dazza
--------

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy