Author Topic: TR - Scafell Pike via the Corridor Route  (Read 1015 times)

clyoung

• Veteran Member
TR - Scafell Pike via the Corridor Route
« on: 00:24:47, 19/08/19 »
I just tried to post a trip report on our walk up Scafell Pike via the Corridor Route but apparently what I wrote is too long  :o The short version is that the day started wet but we got clear views on top. My son and I both survived the slightly tricky down climb on the Corridor Route but we decided against including Scafell and Symonds Knott via Lord's Rake. After a crowded trip to the summit we did enjoy a fun scramble to the top of Broad Crag and a detour from the path to nab Ill Crag.

The cloud started coming down again as we left the top of Scafell Pike and we decided to miss out Great End. We got excellent views up to Derwent Water and Keswick on the long walk out.
More words and pictures on my blog here: https://claire-walking-blog.blogspot.com/2019/08/august-2019-scafell-pike-via-corridor.html

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Scafell Pike via the Corridor Route
« Reply #1 on: 08:38:00, 19/08/19 »
Lovely TR and photos Claire.
Scafell Pike NOT in cloud, what is the world coming too.
The only time I've taken my son up Scafell Pike was when he was about 11 and he complained about 'all the tourists' this from a boy born and bread in north London but clearly he doesn't count as a tourist.

photonut

« Reply #2 on: 10:44:12, 19/08/19 »
That is a nice TR Claire.

The pic of the Scafell Pike descent made me smile..... seeing the line of 'army ants' drudging up/ down the mountain side :)

Looks like you had a nice day for the walk though  O0

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:52:18, 19/08/19 »
Lovely TR and photos Claire.
Scafell Pike NOT in cloud, what is the world coming too.
The only time I've taken my son up Scafell Pike was when he was about 11 and he complained about 'all the tourists' this from a boy born and bread in north London but clearly he doesn't count as a tourist.
I know - had the same when we went up Snowdon 3 years ago. Question is can we make it a hatrick when we finally get to the top of Ben Nevis?
That sounds like the sort of thing my son might say - bet if they met they'd each think the other was tourist though. ;D

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:55:20, 19/08/19 »
That is a nice TR Claire.

The pic of the Scafell Pike descent made me smile..... seeing the line of 'army ants' drudging up/ down the mountain side :)

Looks like you had a nice day for the walk though  O0
Thanks. Given when we left for the Lake District the forecast was for thunderstorms every day we were lucky to get two days hill walking done and only heavy rain for a small part of it.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:54:21, 19/08/19 »
Good report. Brings back memories of last year, but we went up via Grains Gill and Esk Hause and down the corridor route as I thought the scramble would be easier climbing up it than down. It was very dry (and hot) when we walked it.

When are you planning on doing Ben Nevis? We did all three peaks during 2018, we had great weather for Snowdon and Scafell Pike, sadly it didn’t hold out for Ben Nevis (Mid September)  Even though we were up there for a week we didn’t see the top once. We probably picked the best day but it was still wet and windy. We did get views until about 2/3 up so we should be thankful for that! So I hope you have better luck than us!

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:01:29, 19/08/19 »
Good report. Brings back memories of last year, but we went up via Grains Gill and Esk Hause and down the corridor route as I thought the scramble would be easier climbing up it than down. It was very dry (and hot) when we walked it.

When are you planning on doing Ben Nevis? We did all three peaks during 2018, we had great weather for Snowdon and Scafell Pike, sadly it didn’t hold out for Ben Nevis (Mid September)  Even though we were up there for a week we didn’t see the top once. We probably picked the best day but it was still wet and windy. We did get views until about 2/3 up so we should be thankful for that! So I hope you have better luck than us!
I can imagine it was very hard work in the heat. I suspect the scramble would be easier the other way but because we'd originally planned to do Scafell via Lord's Rake as well and I wanted to be ascending not descending that we did it this way round.
It'll probably be next summer or the one after for Ben Nevis, it's a long drive so we need to make a week or more of it. Assuming his results are good on Thursday, eldest will be finishing his A-levels in 2 years time, so we might get to go up in June or early July rather than waiting until August.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 07:26:51, 20/08/19 »
I enjoyed reading your blog, Claire. A grand day out.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 07:30:40, 20/08/19 »
Great TR of a wet but wonderful round.  O0

The usual hordes on Scafell Pike I see, despite the generally dismal weather.
Attaining the big three (the Pike,  Snowdon and the Ben) with very clear sunny views is a feat, but the real challenge is doing so with no other people around at all - the summit atmosphere is completely different as few can attest. We did it for the Pike and Snowdon, the latter on a snowbound midwinter day, but only the sunny views on our one ascent of the Ben, there were hundreds of people.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:37:30, 21/08/19 »
I enjoyed reading your blog, Claire. A grand day out.
Thanks.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:40:19, 21/08/19 »
Great TR of a wet but wonderful round.  O0

The usual hordes on Scafell Pike I see, despite the generally dismal weather.
Attaining the big three (the Pike,  Snowdon and the Ben) with very clear sunny views is a feat, but the real challenge is doing so with no other people around at all - the summit atmosphere is completely different as few can attest. We did it for the Pike and Snowdon, the latter on a snowbound midwinter day, but only the sunny views on our one ascent of the Ben, there were hundreds of people.
It was much quieter on Snowdon as we got there before the first tourist train, but we didn't have it to ourselves. I have once, in something like 7 trips up Pen y Fan, had it to myself for a few minutes.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy