Author Topic: Hi there  (Read 1159 times)

JJ87

Hi there
« on: 20:58:40, 14/10/18 »
Hello everyone

I'd like to use this opportunity to introduce myself. I live in Belgium, I'm 30 years old and so far have only done day hikes. My interest into multi-day hiking grew over the last few months and I'd like to do a 2 or 3 day hike to see if I like it as much in reality as I do in my mind.

We will have some free time in November or December and would like to do a 2 or 3 day hike and, because we've never been there, we thought why not in the UK (England, Wales, Scotland). We prefer mountains and hills over flat, nature over cultural hikes. I've found some hikes online, but with the lacking experience I have no idea if these are possible at the end of fall / begin of winter.

I hope to be able to find some handy information on this forum (I'm sure I will) and some advice on the trip to make at the end of this year as described above :).

Cheers

tenmilesplus

Re: Hi there
« Reply #1 on: 15:56:32, 15/10/18 »
Hiya from the South of England.. There are only rolling hills and flat bits down here, the Mountains are concentrated around the North East and in Wales or Scotland..
 The whole trip depends on your fitness / timescale for travel / accommodation / terrain. Every one is different, some prefer to crack on, others to wander / take pictures. I am capable of doing 16 - 20 miles in a day but a friend of mine can do that distance going over mountains.. if you are used to lowland our fitness for hills / mountains will be poor so be aware that a holiday walking in the mountains will be slow and hard going. We too love going to the mountains but because we live in such a different terrain we tend to stick to 8 - 10 mile day trips.. I am 47 and have been walking for 12 years, I have only done 2 overnight stay type trips, one in Wales (Snowdonia) and one locally in Hampshire for 2 nights per trip. ( I'm not going to count a motorcycling camping trip I did when I was 28)..
 Any walk is possible, just depends how prepared you are..  As you will be aware the daylight hours are short so how about booking a couple of Bed and Breakfast on a short-ish walk and enjoy a good beer and save the longer more challenging walks for warmer weather when the days are longer ?
Gone for a walk, back in a bit..

JJ87

« Reply #2 on: 17:33:41, 15/10/18 »
save the longer more challenging walks for warmer weather when the days are longer ?

Thanks for your reply. I must admit that the more I think and read about it, the less convinced I get that it's a good idea to do our first multi-day hike in late fall / early winter...

tenmilesplus

« Reply #3 on: 17:52:42, 15/10/18 »
Particularly when you think of altitude, the weather comes in so quickly, most of the time it would mean turning back but there is always the chance the emergency services will be needed.. sure it ads to the adventure but is it a chance worth taking ??
Gone for a walk, back in a bit..

Telluric

« Reply #4 on: 20:21:25, 09/11/18 »
Hi, welcome from Merseyside!

Mike

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy