Author Topic: Hello from Canada  (Read 3600 times)

RambleOn

Re: Hello from Canada
« Reply #15 on: 18:08:50, 18/07/11 »
Thanks Mad Max.  It's a general question about walking in the Channel Islands so I'll post something in General Walking Discussion.

Cheers,
Steve

Alex Quinn

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 21:54:43, 18/07/11 »
Hello and welcome from Aberdeen O0

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #17 on: 23:31:11, 18/07/11 »
Hello and welcome to the forum  O0
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

lasramblas

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 18:52:25, 19/07/11 »
Hello and welcome from Central Scotland  :)

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 07:52:09, 24/07/11 »
Hi Steve and welcome from the Peak District  O0

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Kiowan

« Reply #20 on: 01:24:04, 31/07/11 »
Hi, i'm envious, you live in a nice part of the world for walking.  I'm curious, have you run into many Cougars over there?  Apparently Vancouver Island has a fairly heavy population?

RambleOn

« Reply #21 on: 19:22:36, 31/07/11 »
Yes, there are a lot of cougars on Vancouver Island and it's at this time of year that they are following the deer as they make there way down from the hills.  I've never seen a cougar myself but it's not uncommon for cougar sightings/warnings to be issued in downtown neighbourhoods.  The most famous incident was in 1992 when a 60 kg. male cougar wandered into the Empress Hotel's underground parking lot.  Fortunately they were able to tranquilize and release this one but not all are so lucky.  Pets, small children and even adults can become prey if the cat is desperate enough.  I'm not sure if I'd want to run into one in the wild because the chances are the first time *you* see a cougar it would likely be on top of you (and 99.9% of the time it will see you but you won't see it ... and it will want to have nothing to do with you).  I prefer encounters with deer and on yesterday's walk a doe and fawn crossed a road about 15 feet in front of me and were content to graze as I ambled past.

I hope this doesn't put anyone off though because Vancouver Island is a beautiful place to enjoy wilderness hiking ... just remember to bring your bear bells!  O0 

oldboldgeezer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 07:22:53, 03/08/11 »
Hi Steve and welcome from Wiltshire ;)
"A smile is a curve that sets everything straight."

samveg

« Reply #23 on: 10:16:24, 03/08/11 »
Another welcome from Norfolk Steve.

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 10:53:03, 03/08/11 »
Welcome

I looked at you book on Blurb - looks like a good read with plenty of information. I intend to do the JOGLE in 2013 (I hope) if I can get the time off.

roddyp

« Reply #25 on: 15:48:37, 03/08/11 »
Hi Steve, and welcome from Shropshire! We love BC, and had a great family holiday around Vancouver & Victoria this year. No cougars, though.

I am just going outside, and may be some time.

Read my blog at http://butnoidea.co.uk

roddyp

« Reply #26 on: 21:00:36, 03/08/11 »
just remember to bring your bear bells!  O0

Time for the obligatory sign. Still makes me laugh!

dibble

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 21:05:55, 03/08/11 »
When I was in the States last week and I went for a walk alone for a short while, I was warned to give advance warning of my presence.. so I talked very loudly and stomped my feet, as I made my way along the path. 
“A star falls from the sky and into your hands. Then it seeps through your veins and swims inside your blood and becomes every part of you." JN.Harris

roddyp

« Reply #28 on: 21:36:59, 03/08/11 »
When I was in the States last week and I went for a walk alone for a short while, I was warned to give advance warning of my presence.. so I talked very loudly and stomped my feet, as I made my way along the path.

Good advice. :) Did you see the beeb documentary about bears, last January. Stunning stuff... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEZ-yQ9lTeE&feature=player_embedded

dibble

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 21:58:15, 03/08/11 »
Good advice. :) Did you see the beeb documentary about bears, last January. Stunning stuff... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEZ-yQ9lTeE&feature=player_embedded

No, I didn't see that, thanks for the link.
“A star falls from the sky and into your hands. Then it seeps through your veins and swims inside your blood and becomes every part of you." JN.Harris

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy