Author Topic: Sleeping mat matters  (Read 11220 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Sleeping mat matters
« Reply #60 on: 09:04:09, 29/06/18 »

Here is a link to a review of the Klymit Inertia X-lite by daveswildcamping

http://daveswildcamping.com/?page_id=2101

As Dave says, it isn't good.

Definitely not for me, but there are a lot of positive reviews out there too.

PS - Dave does like his steaks!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #61 on: 12:20:06, 29/06/18 »
It seems to be a bit like marmite this mat.

I thought the review was very funny, these bits in particular

"the Klymit Inertia X-lite has been banished to a box I call my wildcamping junkbox for the past year, BEST PLACE FOR THIS PILE OF [censored]"

"There are times in your life when you feel you have been robbed and feel the money could have better been spent wiping your [censored] well this is it.

PURE GARBAGE"
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #62 on: 12:21:51, 29/06/18 »
He doesn't pull his punches, does he?!  :)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #63 on: 12:29:41, 29/06/18 »
It is safe to say Dave didn't think much of the Klymit  :)

Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #64 on: 16:41:23, 29/06/18 »

After all that I have said about camping mats, I've just taken a punt on a 'lightweight' (506g) camping mat from Lidl; price £17.99, with a 3 year guarantee. Not for my own use of course - honest!  :D

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offers.htm?articleId=14154

I'll report back on whether it is any good.

JVB

« Reply #65 on: 08:35:31, 22/07/18 »
So, after some debate and review I opted for (wait for it!) a Klymit Static V lightweight inflatable.... I am a side sleeper and fidget quite a bit. I used this for the first time and my first wild camp last week and felt very comfortable. It made very little noise when fidgeting around, I wasn’t cold but it did try to get away from me once or twice. I think I’m gonna Velcro the [censored] to the base of my tent.

I think something that has been missing from the reviews is the size and weight of the person using it. I know it’s a personal thing but if you are more mountain troll than Hobbit (Trying to add a little humour, apologies for any offence) then I’d assume you would have an issue with a lot of mats/pads etc, especially if you side sleep? I am more Hobbit. 5’6 and 12stone, So when on my side on uneven ground I was still completely supported by the mat. If you are a bigger gent and have found something comfortable to sleep on your side with that’s light and doesn’t run off I’d be very interested to hear. Thanks.
normality never interested me....

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #66 on: 10:22:05, 22/07/18 »
The Static V is a different model to the X Frame.

The V is a fairly straightforward design so not controversial.

JVB

« Reply #67 on: 10:40:13, 22/07/18 »
The ‘wait for it’ was meant as a sigh of relief to step away from the controversial, awkward conversation, which was a tough read.  :( 

normality never interested me....

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #68 on: 11:35:43, 22/07/18 »
To prevent the mat "getting away" / "running off" as you put it, you could put a bit of anti-slip mat underneath it.
I've been using a 100cm x 30cm rectangle from Wilko for a few years, but in the interests of saving carrying its 96g weight I've just bought some HG Anti-Slip Spray which I'm going to apply to the underside of my Multimat Superlite Compact 25S (which incidentally is 340g, compared with the 513g weight of your Klymit Static V).
I used something similar before on a Thermarest. The result looked like dried Copydex. It was effective at stopping the mat sliding around though it didn't look very pretty and it wore off, had to be re-done after a couple of years.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #69 on: 15:21:10, 22/07/18 »

my Multimat Superlite Compact 25S (which incidentally is 340g, compared with the 513g weight of your Klymit Static V).

To be fair, you are not really comparing like with like regarding weight. Good tip though.

PS - I use an ancient cut down closed cell Karrimat (which incidentally is 208g, compared with the 340g weight of your Multimat Superlite Compact 25S)  ;)

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #70 on: 19:30:41, 22/07/18 »
The ‘wait for it’ was meant as a sigh of relief to step away from the controversial, awkward conversation, which was a tough read.  :(

Yeah soz, I thought you'd not noticed we were discussing a different mat.

Your mat should be good for back or side sleeping for most sized peiple as it's not that weird frame design.

They all tend to slip away. On thIe advice if a forum member, Ive dabbed spots of McNett SeamSeal on both sides of my mat and on the floor of the tent. That adds useful levels of grippiness for no extra weight. So I spend less time sliding down the tent now.

But obviously youd wanna be sure you were not gonna return the mat anytime soon.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #71 on: 20:42:06, 22/07/18 »
I can honestly say that my NeoAir has never slipped or slid when I'm sleeping on it, it just stays where I place it.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #72 on: 08:36:31, 23/07/18 »
I can honestly say that my NeoAir has never slipped or slid when I'm sleeping on it, it just stays where I place it.

They're made with a non-slip fabric. Which you'd expect for the price!

marmottungsten

« Reply #73 on: 20:56:28, 28/07/18 »
To prevent the mat "getting away" / "running off" as you put it, you could put a bit of anti-slip mat underneath it.
I've been using a 100cm x 30cm rectangle from Wilko for a few years, but in the interests of saving carrying its 96g weight I've just bought some HG Anti-Slip Spray which I'm going to apply to the underside of my Multimat Superlite Compact 25S (which incidentally is 340g, compared with the 513g weight of your Klymit Static V).

The Multimat Superlite Compact 25S is only 119cm (3', 10 3/4") long, and 1" thick, which really only makes it suitable for midget humans or dogs, whereas the Klymit Static V is a full length sleeping mat, which is 182.9cm (6') long, and 2.5" thick, so its like comparing chalk to cheese.
 The Static V is a bit on the heavy side though and it starts at around £55...It's only saving grace is that it's available in a range of colours, including woodland camo.  However, Lidls are currently selling Crivit inflatable sleeping mats.  Yes, they are only available in a horrible bright orange colour, but they are very cheap (just £17.99!) and at 494g (without the storage sack) they are reasonably light too.  They also come with a 3 year warranty too, so it's definitely worth a punt
« Last Edit: 21:04:34, 28/07/18 by marmottungsten »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #74 on: 22:18:42, 28/07/18 »

The Multimat Superlite Compact 25S is only 119cm (3', 10 3/4") long, and 1" thick, which really only makes it suitable for midget humans or dogs,...

I get on perfectly well with a 120cm mat; you only really need to insulate under your torso, although I do appreciate that others do prefer a full length mat, at the expense of the extra weight.

The Static V is a bit on the heavy side though and it starts at around £55...It's only saving grace is that it's available in a range of colours, including woodland camo.  However, Lidls are currently selling Crivit inflatable sleeping mats.  Yes, they are only available in a horrible bright orange colour, but they are very cheap (just £17.99!) and at 494g (without the storage sack) they are reasonably light too.  They also come with a 3 year warranty too, so it's definitely worth a punt

I took a punt on one of the Lidl mats, for 'boot of the car' camping - very comfortable. I really couldn't care less about the colour; I'm asleep, after all!  ;)
« Last Edit: 08:48:44, 29/07/18 by richardh1905 »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy