Author Topic: TR - An Elterwater circular walk, 16 miles and 3 Wainwrights - 22nd Feb 2019  (Read 940 times)

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Wainwrights climbed = Black Fell, Holm Fell, Lingmoor Fell

It had been way too long since I had been in the lakes so I booked a long weekend away. When I booked it I thought I would be walking in cold conditions and very possibly on snow in the hills meaning lovely snowy photos and videos so I was surprised to spend the 4 days in a tshirt in lovely sunny weather, not the typical February day in the lakes. The lack of snow and rain meant the paths were reasonably dry and therefore good walking. I had 3 Wainwrights left to do in the Elterwater area so I looked to connect them into a circular, it ended up about 16 miles. It would be 3 pretty easy hills with long but straightforward distances between them passing Tarn Hawse and Little Langdale Tarn along the way.

Tarn Hawse

I parked up at the free car park just outside Elterwater and set off, the first part of the walk would be along a narrow but quiet country road before eventually cutting off it and up to Black Fell (or Black Crag as it seems to be called on some maps), the views from the top were very good. I hadn't seen anyone up to this point but as I descended I met lots of people. At the bottom of the track I came to Tarn Hawse and realised that's where everyone had parked as it was quite busy as it was a school holiday. It's a lovely walk round it but I was glad to get away from it and eventually start climbing Holme Fell. Again a reasonably easy hill but with great views from the top. I had my lunch here while I tried to name the surrounding hills.

It would be a long walk to Lingmoor Fell for my 3rd hill but easy walking, firstly down past caves/quarry before reaching Little Langdale, where the beer garden was full and then a lovely walk over Slaters Bridge and round Little Langdale Tarn.

At the end of the Tarn a little road walking took me steeply upwards before I cut off. As I got higher, the views of the langdale Pikes got better.

A short and steep section soon saw me reaching the summit, at which point I got the wind in my face and it would be the only time where I put the fleece on because it was downhill from now on, pretty gentle all the way. My original plan was to bypass Chapel Stile and just head to Elterwater but a visit to the shop was needed as I was pretty parched and fancied something fizzy to quench my thirst before the short walk to Elterwater and my car.

Not the most strenuous days walk and only 3 hills but it was a very nice walk, great scenery all round and pleasantly dry paths (not what I was expecting). Most of all it felt good to be back in the lakes and tick off another 3 Wainwrights.

More photos and details about this walk can be seen at http://www.brians-walks.co.uk/lakes-elterwater-circular.html

LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Lovely photos Bri  O0

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Lovely pics of a cracking area. The views from all three of those fells are wonderful, and there's a bit of interesting industrial history to wander past too.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
A grand circuit, always a pleasure to see these fells.  O0

jontea

• Veteran Member
Great T/R Brian, so that's what they look like on a clear day  ;)
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

adalard

• Veteran Member
Enjoyed the TR and blog - you got some great pictures. Looks like a grand weekend.  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy