Author Topic: Mini TR - Going Astray in the White Peak  (Read 1530 times)

adalard

• Veteran Member
Mini TR - Going Astray in the White Peak
« on: 11:10:00, 26/09/18 »
I had a bit of a ramble from Ashford-in-the-Water yesterday.  

Walked up to Monsal Head and from there onto Fin Cop (access land) via the concessionary path above the dale. Had lunch on top of Fin Cop and wandered to the far side of the summit.  

I had planned to go back down into Monsal Dale the way I'd come, cross the A6 and up into Deep Dale but there was another stile and a clear path heading downwards. I assumed it was another concessionary path providing a way onto the access land from the south.  

When I hit the woodland about 3/4 of the way down the path started to peter out until I was fighting my way through a grim tangle of bramble, hawthorn branches and other annoying stuff. I couldn't bear the thought of re-ascending so I persevered and came to a riverside path. Hoping to find a bridge I followed this over stile after stile, aware I was no longer on a PRoW or access land, until I eventually came to a gate that I had to climb to get out onto the A6.  

It had been a private fishing path I'd been on by the river but there was no warning at the top of the hill that you couldn't get down this way - some signs might help! I was way off my route now and didn't fancy regaining it by walking along the busy A6, so I crossed over to a nearby footpath up to Great Shacklow Wood.  

I was a bit grumpy now and couldn't be bothered going back to continue up Deep Dale. So I decided to change my route and head directly back to Ashford via this woodland path and have a beer. Except the pubs were closed by the time I got there. I had a wander round waiting for my bus and headed back to Buxton, where a consolatory pint was guaranteed and gratefully enjoyed.

A few phone pics, not sorted the ones on my camera yet. I won't be blogging this one since I was accidentally and unwillingly trespassing for some of it!   ::)

Image may contain: people standing, mountain, sky, grass, outdoor and nature
View across Monsal Dale, with Wardlow Hay Cop on the horizon.

Image may contain: mountain, sky, grass, tree, outdoor and nature
Wardlow Hay Cop (left), Headstone Viaduct in the dale, and Longstone Moor (right)
Image may contain: mountain, sky, outdoor, nature and food
Lunch (cheese and marmite) looking across to Deep Dale before things went awry.

Image may contain: drink
Aaahhh...   ;D

It was still - mostly! - a pleasant few hours walk but be warned not to head south from the summit of Fin Cop, inviting though it may look!

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Re: Mini TR - Going Astray in the White Peak
« Reply #1 on: 21:04:50, 26/09/18 »
Great photos adalard     :)     Monsal Dale is such a beautiful spot
It sounds as if it was a bit of an adventure.  As you say, a warning notice at the top of the hill would have been helpful. 

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:38:18, 26/09/18 »
Nice pics adalard  O0

I bet you aren't the first walker to go wrong there :)
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:23:12, 27/09/18 »
Hmmmm seem to recall doing summat similar years ago and ending up walking the A6 myself. Nevermind!  :)
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:10:13, 28/09/18 »
Thanks, Dovegirl and April.  O0  The scenery is lovely around there and it was great to get a different perspective on it from the top of Fin Cop.  :)

Not an enjoyable road to walk along, Pleb, and probably really quite dangerous. I wonder what happened to other people who walked down that way? Maybe they just turned and headed back up.

The walk along the riverside path was lovely, though I couldn't quite relax and enjoy it as I knew I was technically trespassing.

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:40:48, 28/09/18 »
I wouldn't want to be walking along that road at all, I wouldn't care if it was trespassing i'd be getting away from it as soon as possible.

Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:03:42, 28/09/18 »
I wouldn't want to be walking along that road at all, I wouldn't care if it was trespassing i'd be getting away from it as soon as possible.

Totally agree, Lee. I was only on it for a few minutes but that was too long. I was lucky there was a grass verge but even so I could feel the "tug" of air whenever a lorry or coach roared past me.

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:14:35, 28/09/18 »

Totally agree, Lee. I was only on it for a few minutes but that was too long. I was lucky there was a grass verge but even so I could feel the "tug" of air whenever a lorry or coach roared past me.

I reckon it's easily the most dangerous section of road in the Peak District for walkers, blind corners, no pavement or grass verge even in places....and all the heavy traffic.
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy