Author Topic: .GPX maps. I don't understand!  (Read 1389 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
.GPX maps. I don't understand!
« on: 19:47:19, 06/06/19 »
I downloaded an app called GPX viewer onto my phone but I do not understand how I can install a GPX map onto it? Any ideas please and would you recommend a different viewer from the one I've downloaded?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: .GPX maps. I don't understand!
« Reply #1 on: 20:43:06, 06/06/19 »
From what I read, its purpose is to show gps traces on Maps.  It is not a mapping app.
"The GPX viewer is made for the purpose of viewing the gpx file that you recorded. You can load tracks from gpx file and show them on a Maps view. You can also see your GPS position on a map and use viewer as navigation."
A poor man's ViewRanger
Solvitur Ambulando

rambling oldie

« Reply #2 on: 13:42:46, 07/06/19 »
From what I understand a GPX file is a collection of points, lines and polygons.  It is used to show a route on an Ordnance Survey map or other mapping system.  If you have OS Maps or Anquet, Viewranger etc and have purchased OS tiles, the gpx file can be loaded and the particular application will use this to  show the path of a complete route on the ordnance survey map.  
If you use the OS Maps app and look for routes already set up, you can view them but they always show with a thick red line for the route, obscuring the details beneath of footpath, byways etc.  It is impossible to change this as the route is not “your” route.  However, if you take the option to ‘Export gpx’ then save it locally, close the route on the screen and take the option to Import gpx, it’ll open up as your route with the availability of an Edit option.  At that point you can change the route itself by dragging waypoints, or amend the style of the route by colour, thickness or transparency.  

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:31:22, 08/06/19 »
I've decided to give on .GPX files, just can't be bothered with it anymore. It only became of interest when I looked at the site https://en.francevelotourisme.com to study their bike routes. They display a link which reads 'Download the itinerary in .GPX format' so I did. I thought it would add to my knowledge but all it did was to confuse me!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:34:30, 08/06/19 »
If you download the file from the website it will appear in your downloads file, probably with an obscure name but the date/time group will identify it.  If you have a program that can read gpx files the downloaded file can be opened by it.

For example, having downloaded the file and made a note of its name, open GoogleEarth.  Click on the File tab then click on Open.  This will open a window and in the bottom right hand corner there is a box that says "GoogleEarth (*.kml, *.kmx".  Click on this box and another window opens listing all the file types that GE can read.  Gps files are usually third on the list, click on this and GE will open a window so you can browse to wherever you keep your gps files.  Browse to the downloads file and double click on the gps file that you downloaded and GE will open it for you.
GE remembers where it went last time to find a gps file so the second time you try this it will go straight to your downloads file.
I copy all downloaded gps traces to a special file in my walks directory so in my case GE opens that for me to find the trace I want.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy