Author Topic: TR with interesting title  (Read 1119 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
TR with interesting title
« on: 08:30:00, 14/05/20 »
Wednesday 13th May 2020, they first day of a very slight lifting of the lockdown. I could have driven as far as I wanted for a walk but instead I took Ridgedaughter on the local walk I did last week going Cockfosters, Northaw, Cuffley, Crews Hill, Cockfosters.
Previous report here http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=40277.0 So these are just additional comments and photos.

To get to any significantly more interesting countryside is quite a drive so I decided not to today.

When telling my daughter where we were going I said we would turn left at the bottom of 'the yellow field' as it is now known, but it was no longer yellow. The oilseed rape had lost its flowers.

We went wild and sat on a bench

In Northaw we even sat on a bench on the village green to eat our lunch, such exciting times we live in.

In the report when I did this walk before I posted this picture of what Mel called the gingerbread house.

Here it is again from the other side showing how it sits in the middle of the fields with just a track leading to it. The lorry just left of centre in the picture is on the M25.

'Mum, I'm thirsty and I can't reach'

'Thanks Mum'
'Don't talk with your mouth full darling'

Theobalds Farmhouse in Crews Hill. 17th century building with stunning, recently constructed, gardens which sometimes open to the public.

I mentioned in the previous report that Crews Hill is just a mass of garden centres. Last time I was here it was very quiet but today most of them were open again for the first time and you took your life in your hands crossing the road.
The golf course also had a few people playing.

A generally overcast day with a cool breeze at times. Ridgedaughter has had lots of college work recently and so has hardly been out of the house for over 2 weeks. I think this was a bit far for her as a first outing in a while.

April

• Veteran Member
Re: TR with interesting title
« Reply #1 on: 08:50:59, 14/05/20 »
Your TR was more interesting than its title  ;D
Love the pics of the mam and lamb  O0
It is odd, we now have more freedom but we don't feel ready to be freed.
Hate will never win

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:23:13, 14/05/20 »
Love the photo of the lamb    :)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:19:05, 14/05/20 »
Thanks April and Dovegirl

It is odd, we now have more freedom but we don't feel ready to be freed.

I couldn't have the car yesterday as Mrs R needed it and we had planned to do this walk before Sundays announcement. Also we have to drive a very long way before we are not walking through fields and woods. So there were reasons that we didn't drive anywhere to walk but none were actually insurmountable and in normal times we would have changed our plans. Perhaps at the moment I am subconsciously happier with the very familiar as it feels safe.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:42:55, 14/05/20 »
Not so much 'gingerbread' in the rear view :(

Funny how travelling lost much of it's appeal when allowed to do it.

I think for many of us being restricted to an area near home has been an interesting time of discovery or perhaps re-discovery of our own locality.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:50:04, 14/05/20 »
Very nice Ridge. O0
If nothing else we can make up our reduced incomes by writing guidebooks of walks in our local areas  ;)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:45:32, 14/05/20 »
Thanks Karl and Jac
Not so much 'gingerbread' in the rear view :(
The house is quite pretty and has a lovely garden. Because of how it sits in a hollow with trees between it and the M25 you can't see and can barely hear it from the house.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:09:35, 14/05/20 »
Funny how travelling lost much of it's appeal when allowed to do it.

Except to travel to see a man and his dog in a park near Manchester  :)

If nothing else we can make up our reduced incomes by writing guidebooks of walks in our local areas  ;)

If you need to borrow a few quid Karl, let me know and I can add it to your tab. You still owe us for the gas you "borrowed" in 2017  ;)

I hope you are ok though Karl, now being serious, I am very lucky still being able to work and from the office too. I would hate to be working at home like most of my colleagues.

Ridge I just lust looked at your pics again this time from my laptop  :) Is the gingerbread house called "Burnt Farm Cottage"?  :o Sorry if you name it in your last TR but my memory isn't what it used to be. Was this the 16+ mile walk you did recently? If so it was nee wonder Ridgedaughter was tired  :)
Hate will never win

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:30:55, 14/05/20 »

If you need to borrow a few quid Karl, let me know and I can add it to your tab. You still owe us for the gas you "borrowed" in 2017  ;)

I hope you are ok though Karl, now being serious, I am very lucky still being able to work and from the office too. I would hate to be working at home like most of my colleagues.

I think you'll find that fees for my guiding services and providing comedy value to Beefs videos well outweigh the gas used to boil a small cup of water. :D

Although I haven't earned a bean in eight weeks all my kids are working and have upped their board money which has kept the wolf from the door and tomorrow I get my self employed dosh from the government.
And obviously I'm not going walking in the Lakes every week followed by a slap up meal in Shap Chippy or the Travellers Rest
so I think I might actually be better off ;D  And a bit slimmer  ::)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:32:42, 14/05/20 »
Good to get out even if it is still local, Ridge - the lamb captions made me smile.  :)

We only drove about 5 or 6 miles to an unfrequented spot yesterday - something that I would have been allowed to do under lockdown, but I chose not to. The big difference was that we went as a family, as I am now able to do more than one exercise per day (I took my wife to see the owlets in the woods in the evening).
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:34:20, 14/05/20 »
And obviously I'm not going walking in the Lakes every week followed by a slap up meal in Shap Chippy ...

Hmm - wonder whether it is open...? Close to some decent wild country away from the crowds.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:37:18, 14/05/20 »

Is the gingerbread house called "Burnt Farm Cottage"?  :o Sorry if you name it in your last TR but my memory isn't what it used to be. Was this the 16+ mile walk you did recently? If so it was nee wonder Ridgedaughter was tired  :)
Yes it is Burnt Farm Cottage, don't know why and I can't find anything on line.
And yes, this was the 16 mile walk again but she's a trouper.

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:38:30, 14/05/20 »

Hmm - wonder whether it is open...? Close to some decent wild country away from the crowds.

They are open but might only be for home delivery only.
E2A and click and collect
« Last Edit: 18:42:49, 14/05/20 by karl h »

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:40:58, 14/05/20 »
Good to get out even if it is still local, Ridge - the lamb captions made me smile.  :)
Thanks Richard.
Both of our local chippies are open for takeaway or delivery.  :)
I was talking to the owner of the best one last Friday, from the shop door way as I waited for my order, and he was saying that they had very few customers.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:41:19, 14/05/20 »
I think you'll find that fees for my guiding services and providing comedy value to Beefs videos well outweigh the gas used to boil a small cup of water. :D

;D at your guiding services and aye, lots of comedy value Karl  :)

Yes it is Burnt Farm Cottage, don't know why and I can't find anything on line.
And yes, this was the 16 mile walk again but she's a trouper.

She is, just like her brother  :)
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy