Author Topic: Which Smart phone mapping is best?  (Read 7059 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Which Smart phone mapping is best?
« Reply #15 on: 16:02:54, 04/08/19 »
When hiking in France I've used SityTrail for a number of years but no longer, they have changed their app and at the moment I can't make head nor tail of it. I can't seem to find an alternative either.

To follow pre-hike trails I use Wikiloc, very useful where ever I am at the time.

tom83

« Reply #16 on: 16:21:55, 04/08/19 »
I use the Ordinance Survey app. Its £25 for the year, but its absolutely bang on. Great value for money. It also doesn't hammer your phone battery.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 17:33:30, 04/08/19 »
I'm looking for a mapping app which pinpoints my location on an oline OS map on my phone so I can then refer back to a paper OS map. I like paper maps, I'm not technical at all so prefer to have the phone app as a backup.

If you want an OS map you'll need to pay, the great advantage of VR is that even their free app allows you to use free OSM mapping.  So it will pinpoint your location, give you a ten figure grid and show your location on a map.  That should be enough to re-orientate you on to your paper map  ;)
Where there's a will ...

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 18:29:31, 04/08/19 »
Literary Gal - do you have a paper Ordnance Survey map with the scratch off code for access to the same map digitally?

If you do, your best bet will be to use the Ordnance Survey Mobile Download service which will allow you to view the digital version of your paper map on your phone.  I believe the cost of the Ordnance Survey app is free and, seeing as you've already paid for your paper map (with scratch n sniff code), you do not need to pay again for the digital version. (The digital map isn't viewable via any other app than the OS mapping app so won't work via ViewRanger.)

If you don't have the paper map scratch off code then your best option will probably be to sign up for either Ordnance Survey's or ViewRanger's digital / online mapping service - both of which will allow you to view 1:25k Ordnance Survey maps on your mobile device.

Like sussamb says, you have to pay for Ordnance Survey mapping (either by subscription or individual map/tile purchase) but OSM (Open Street Maps) are free to view on both of these (and other) apps.  The thing is, they don't look like a "normal" Ordnance Survey map and might be a bit confusing if you just want a visual like-for-like spot-check confirmation of your location.

Hope this helps.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 19:29:09, 04/08/19 »
OSM (Open Street Maps) are free to view on both of these (and other) apps.  The thing is, they don't look like a "normal" Ordnance Survey map and might be a bit confusing if you just want a visual like-for-like spot-check confirmation of your location.

I couldn't agree more.
Having been used to OS maps all of my life (my dad's 1" ones with houses as black blocks when I was a nipper, then cubs, then scouts, then my own ones and library ones from 20ish onwards) I just don't know how people get on with OSM. I have them on apps on my phone and I've looked at them online, and I simply don't like them. They're a poor substitute for a OS map.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 19:54:28, 04/08/19 »
I use both OS and OSM. I have both on my gps. OSM is superb in built up areas where it can show details of road names, shop names etc etc. On cross country routes it can show gates and stiles.
It does take some getting used to but it is very usable. Obviously it does not show all of the paths that OS shows but thet are generally more accurate.
It's all uphill from here.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 23:16:16, 04/08/19 »
OSM ... does take some getting used to but it is very usable. Obviously it does not show all of the paths that OS shows but thet are generally more accurate.

OSM mapping is often more up to date that OS maps, as the data is added to by folks like us, and that then appears in the next release a month or so later for some mapping providers, unlike OS mapping that often can be years out of date.  I rarely use OS maps these days, my GPS is loaded with a number of OSM maps although I generally stick with one as the style/colours etc work best for me.
Where there's a will ...

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 23:39:55, 04/08/19 »
OS maps user on Android here.  I can't fault it.  If you like to buy paper maps, then you can download them, making it completely free use. 

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 08:57:35, 05/08/19 »
OSM is superb for what it is for - as the name open street maps suggests. It is ok for footpaths etc as long as not going off the beaten track. In some areas it has amazing detail and information. However, I find that contours are often at odds with OS and the ground - nothing big but enough to throw you off if you are using them for fine navigation.
I am one of the people who keeps it up to date. When planning an urban orienteering event, it is a good resource to base the maps on. So, I spend weeks of visits updating the OSM map before starting the conversion process.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 09:10:35, 05/08/19 »
OSM mapping is often more up to date that OS maps, as the data is added to by folks like us, and that then appears in the next release a month or so later for some mapping providers, unlike OS mapping that often can be years out of date.

In 2008 I was on a long walk in N. Wales using an OS map dated 2002 whose legend stated that it had been “converted from the previous Outdoor Leisure map and revised for selected change 2001”.
On two consecutive misty days I was very unsure of my navigation because of blocks of mature conifer forest on the hills that were not shown on the map. I know they are fast-growing but they had plainly been there for more that seven years.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 09:33:31, 05/08/19 »
However, I find that contours are often at odds with OS and the ground - nothing big but enough to throw you off if you are using them for fine navigation.

Really?  Never noticed a contour issue on OSM maps I use.  Maybe I'm simply not paying enough attention  :-\
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 09:53:38, 05/08/19 »

Really?  Never noticed a contour issue on OSM maps I use.  Maybe I'm simply not paying enough attention  :-\
  You haven't tried hard enough.  In my early days with my garmin I had both OS and OSM mapping loaded but failed to layer them correctly so both were showing at the same time.  I ended up walking downslope looking for an OS field boundary only to realise, when it failed to appear, that I was looking at an OSM contour line on the screen.
Solvitur Ambulando

Literary Gal

« Reply #27 on: 10:37:19, 05/08/19 »
Literary Gal - do you have a paper Ordnance Survey map with the scratch off code for access to the same map digitally?

If you do, your best bet will be to use the Ordnance Survey Mobile Download [nofollow] service which will allow you to view the digital version of your paper map on your phone.  I believe the cost of the Ordnance Survey app is free and, seeing as you've already paid for your paper map (with scratch n sniff code), you do not need to pay again for the digital version. (The digital map isn't viewable via any other app than the OS mapping app so won't work via ViewRanger.)

If you don't have the paper map scratch off code then your best option will probably be to sign up for either Ordnance Survey's or ViewRanger's digital / online mapping service - both of which will allow you to view 1:25k Ordnance Survey maps on your mobile device.

Like sussamb says, you have to pay for Ordnance Survey mapping (either by subscription or individual map/tile purchase) but OSM (Open Street Maps) are free to view on both of these (and other) apps.  The thing is, they don't look like a "normal" Ordnance Survey map and might be a bit confusing if you just want a visual like-for-like spot-check confirmation of your location.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Mel, I have a OS map with the scratch off on. Therefore if I load that map to my phone, will I be able to locate where I am on that map on the phone ie will it actually pin point my location even if I have no idea where I am? If it does, I've solved my issue - which would be wonderful.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 10:44:41, 05/08/19 »
In short - yes.  It can also show you how you ended up wherever you are.
Solvitur Ambulando

Literary Gal

« Reply #29 on: 10:46:44, 05/08/19 »
In short - yes.  It can also show you how you ended up wherever you are.

That's the answer then. Off to download a map and try it.... :) will report back....

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy