Author Topic: My C2C walk starts on 27 June  (Read 1465 times)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
My C2C walk starts on 27 June
« on: 07:50:37, 06/06/19 »
Knew it was a bad idea. First LDW when I've agreed to do it with someone else rather than walk it solo. With just 3 weeks to go I got a phone call last night, he can now only come for the first three days of walking  >:(

So, having to rearrange accommodation and travel plans.  At least he's agreed to cover any additional costs but it's just the pain of sorting it all out.
Where there's a will ...

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
Re: My C2C walk starts on 27 June
« Reply #1 on: 13:10:37, 06/06/19 »
If he’s covering extra costs I’d be tempted to leave the accommodation as it is. At this late stage I wouldn’t have thought there would be much chance of switching to a single room, they’re usually scarce anyway! Make the most of the extra space you will have! 
Enjoy the walk, not sure if it’s more or less busy than when we did it nearly ten years ago. It’s definitely the most popular LDW we have done.  We finish the Two Moors way the day before you start so at least you can expect decent weather after we finish!  ;D

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:09:35, 06/06/19 »
Nope, never get really good weather myself although my two PW trips only rained for 3 of the 14 days, some would consider that good  :)

So far been lucky with the accommodation, with only a few unable to swap me to a single and one where the deposit on a single room will be forfeited unless they can rebook, as there we had booked two singles.  As you say they are normally in short supply so most of our bookings were twin rooms.
Where there's a will ...

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 23:35:17, 06/06/19 »
Bit of a blow, but at least you'll be able to go at your own pace and not have to worry about anyone else.  I finished a couple of weeks ago - wonderful walk , enjoy.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 06:54:07, 07/06/19 »
Cheers, looking forward to your TR if you're doing one?
Where there's a will ...

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:32:46, 07/06/19 »
 I prefer to walk on my own but over the years have had several people ask if they can join me on a long distance route. I have not wanted to offend them by flatly turning them down so have said,"  I intend to bivvi all the way on this one to keep the pack weight low and keep costs down.I have walked the route before and know of several ditches,bus shelters,public toilets and church porches than are excellent bivvi sites.If its raining I might be able to persuade a friendly farmer to let us  use his rat infested barn for the night.You are quite welcome to join me".So far no one has taken up the offer.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:03:13, 07/06/19 »
I'll remember that one for the future, I'll add pig shelters as I've used them in the past  ;D
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:09:43, 07/06/19 »
I'll remember that one for the future, I'll add pig shelters as I've used them in the past  ;D
We sometimes used pig farms when deploying with the Puma squadron in Germany.  We hid the vehicles under the eaves behind false walls and bunked in the barns.  The smell wasn't too bad and the pigs soon got used to it.
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:13:22, 07/06/19 »
Ah yes, I remember those days, hessian with brick walls painted onto them  ;D
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy