Author Topic: Walking injuries  (Read 8689 times)

tonyk

• Veteran Member

Toxicbunny

Re: Walking injuries
« Reply #16 on: 16:43:06, 27/06/20 »
https://www.knee-pain-explained.com/sharp-knee-pain.html
Thanks Ive not walked all week except pottered around the house to rest it. It hasn't bothered me not walking as theres been a heatwave and I would not walk in that heat.

Toxicbunny

« Reply #17 on: 18:50:24, 15/07/20 »
I've just had a diagnosis of Patellofemoral pain syndrome from the physio. I've been told to still walk but careful on decents.
I don't know if anyone else has had this ?

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 18:53:40, 15/07/20 »
I've just had a diagnosis of Patellofemoral pain syndrome from the physio. I've been told to still walk but careful on decents.
I have suffered knee pain while walking but haven’t had that diagnosis. It isn’t a particularly useful diagnosis as it means you have a painful knee, but the doctor cannot give a specific cause. So, you know as much after diagnosis as you did before.

Toxicbunny

« Reply #19 on: 19:56:22, 15/07/20 »
Yes I agree. I've been advised not to wear knee supports. Ironically all the advice they give i already do. I have good boots and use poles. I've walked years.  It's the decents that bother me.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 20:06:11, 15/07/20 »

Its known as runner's knee in the trade.I used to suffer from it a lot in my twenties and thirties and put that down to practicing karate for many years.Once I stopped practicing karate at around the age of fifty and took up tai chi the knee pain cleared up and today most of my joints are pain free.

Toxicbunny

« Reply #21 on: 20:13:45, 15/07/20 »
I don't run but I do cover some miles. I know when it played up I did some pretty sharp decents a couple of days on the bounce.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 11:14:00, 17/07/20 »
When hiking the Two Moors Way last year I ended up with an inline split toenail. I have no idea how I did it but I began to notice the problem when putting my socks on. A thread would catch into the split which I experienced as an immediate shooting pain which really made me wince.

I've managed to overcome it easily, every morning after I shower I just stick a 1cm square piece of Elastoplast over the nail. My problem is that I just cannot get the nail to repair itself. I've tried keeping the nail short and I've tried keeping the nail long but the two edges will just not come together. I think I'm going to have to visit a Chiropodist to get some advice about it.

As long as I use my little square of 'sticky' its no problem at all but after a year it's just become a personal irritant.

daniel22

« Reply #23 on: 11:34:01, 17/07/20 »
gunwharfman...might it be a case of letting the nail grow out and preventing new splitting til its grown out? I know with fungal nail infections the treatments are to prevent it spreading and waiting for it to grow out.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 11:45:06, 17/07/20 »
I've tried letting the toenail grow out but it hasn't worked so far. I'm at present going to grow it out over a longer period of time to see if that works?

daniel22

« Reply #25 on: 11:46:38, 17/07/20 »
Might be worth buying some nail gue and applying over the split periodically. this might stop it splitting up the nail bed all the time and let it grow out properly

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 12:08:00, 17/07/20 »
Might be worth buying some nail gue and applying over the split periodically. this might stop it splitting up the nail bed all the time and let it grow out properly
Nail glue or some type of superglue could help. I have had a troublesome nail glued together by a chiropodist, which seemed like a more pleasant solution than having it yanked out, like my mum had.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 15:38:07, 10/09/20 »
Good news! After all this time, still been having issues, seen this morning at hospital.
It's related to my bad back causing leg issues, hamstrings really tight and now have hip problems.
Exercises given to do.
Forty minute walk up to hospital and about an hour back home, struggling!

daniel22

« Reply #28 on: 15:42:55, 10/09/20 »
Thats good that you have been given a cause and some treatment to help. Did they say how long to do the exercises for?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 16:00:09, 10/09/20 »
Good news! After all this time, still been having issues, seen this morning at hospital.
It's related to my bad back causing leg issues, hamstrings really tight and now have hip problems.
Exercises given to do.
Forty minute walk up to hospital and about an hour back home, struggling!
Pain in one area can be related to defects on other areas.  In the past I have related the tale of a very painful spot on the side of the ankle was actually caused by an issue in the the gluteus maximus which in turn was caused by a balance problem I was not aware of.  Scary going to hospitals these days though.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy