Author Topic: TR Day 1 of a 3 day trip from Troutbeck to Staveley Sat 7 Jul 18  (Read 835 times)

April

• Veteran Member
We got the bus to Limefitt Park in Troutbeck to start a 3 day trip. There was more cloud than there has been of late but it was still very hot. The wind was light and it was humid and it was hard work as we made our way up the Garburn Road

Looking across the Troutbeck Valley

Troutbeck Tongue centre from the Garburn Road

We chatted to 3 Scottish blokes on bikes as they passed us on their way over the pass. We saw them later on when they'd stopped at the top. Nice blokes they were  O0

Descending to Kentmere from the Garburn Pass

We stopped for some lunch near Crabtree Brow at the first water source we'd seen so far. The lack of water was on our minds, we wanted to pitch on Kentmere Pike and we wondered how far we would have to carry water. We used the MSR Pocket Rocket 2 for the first time. We know why they call it a rocket. Bleddy hell it is a powerful stove  :o

The descent from the top of the Garburn Pass to Kentmere was all loose stones, torture. This descent has been added to the "Never Again" list  :)

Beefy in Kentmere

Looking back on our way from Green Quarter

Sallows, Garburn Pass, Buck Crag and Castle Crag in view. Although there was more cloud, there were still some sunny spells and it was sweltering in the sun.

The Kentmere valley

Shipman Knotts and Kentmere Pike

We spotted the 3 blokes on bikes in the distance going along the Kentmere to Longsleddale Pass. Apart from a few people who passed by us when we sat for lunch, we'd seen nobody else except for a man outside his house in Green Quarter. Everyone must be watching the England match :) We think football matches are great  :D

Our route up Shipman Knotts

We enjoyed climbing up the rocky steps, not so nice to descend.

Shipman Knotts summit ahead

The ground that is normally bog city here is dry. Makes for easier walking but harder to source water to drink and we were hoping we wouldn't have to descend too far to get some for our camp.

On Shipman Knotts looking to Kentmere Pike

I felt like I was on my last legs on the way up Shipman Knotts and we thought we would pitch near by if we could find water. The cloud cover had disappeared and it was sunny, we could have done without it.

Beefy on Shipman Knotts

After a banana break and a rest we walked toward Rough Crags, there was a water source marked on the map beside the wall. When we got there it was totally dry and looking down we couldn't see any sign of water. A pitch near Shipman Knotts abandoned, back to the original plan and we started climbing Kentmere Pike thinking we may have to descend quite a distance for water.

Beefy on Kentmere Pike

The tarns near the summit of Kentmere Pike were totally dry. We left our packs below the summit and took our 3l bladders on what we hoped was a short descent eastward toward Raven Crag and water. We could see Wrengill Quarry and water, we didn't want to descend that far down! We didn't have to, I heard Beefy shout “Hurray!” He'd found running water  O0 It was almost half a mile and 90m of descent but we had feared it might have been double this. Mightily relieved we filled the bladders and went back to our packs. We were really tired, it was almost 6pm and it was 7 hours since we’d left Limefitt. We climbed over the wall stile and looked for a pitch. We'd pitched here before a couple of years ago and we used the same spot. We got the bladders on to filter and got the tent up. We had our tea sitting outside the tent. We had a lovely time relaxing and poured some wine. There was enough breeze to keep the midges at bay.

The MSR below Kentmere Pike

Beefy setting up his camera to timelapse the sunset

The sun was too bright in the sky with no cloud, sunsets are better with a bit of cloud.

Crinkle Crags, Bowfell, Scafell Pike, Ill Bell and Great End in close up

The sun going down

We checked the football result. England had won and were in the semi final of the world cup  :o

We'd enjoyed this camp, resting our weary legs and after we'd finished the wine we got in our bags and were asleep straight away. Day 1 was Limefitt Park - Garburn Pass - Kentmere - Green Quarter - Shipman Knotts - Kentmere Pike - water source above Raven Crag - Kentmere Pike. 14.9km with 1,168m ascent and 571m descent. 6 hours walking time.
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Excellent pics and tr Ape
What a great day we had O0
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Great pictures April.

I hope it is that quiet when we are there tomorrow, I'm fretting about parking in Kentmere.

April

• Veteran Member
I hope it is that quiet when we are there tomorrow, I'm fretting about parking in Kentmere.

I hope the weather holds for you, it looks like we might get some rain this week. I would get there early  :)
I think we got there about 2pm on Saturday and there were only a couple of cars next to the church, the  England match tomorrow might have the same affect, maybe  :-\
Hate will never win

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
Sounded like a lovely walk April and some great views from your campsite. Well done  O0
Regards Keith

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Great stuff April O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

April

• Veteran Member
Thanks Welsh Rambler and sunnydale  O0
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
Ah, the obligatory shot of beefys bum  ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

adalard

• Veteran Member
Wonderful pictures as always, April - I especially liked the one looking into the Kentmere Valley... And the one of your route up Shipman Knotts, the wall really draws your eye into the photograph.  O0 O0

April

• Veteran Member
Ah, the obligatory shot of beefys bum  ;D

I have another one from this weekend  :D

Wonderful pictures as always, April - I especially liked the one looking into the Kentmere Valley... And the one of your route up Shipman Knotts, the wall really draws your eye into the photograph.  O0 O0

Thank you adalard  :)
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy