Author Topic: Stiles  (Read 2074 times)

ella_c

Stiles
« on: 17:22:41, 22/09/19 »

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me with my investigation about stiles in the countryside by filling in this quick survey on this link:https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/TD27LFK (you can copy and paste into web browser)
It aims to find the struggles of stiles and possible improvements.
It should only take a minute to complete.
Thank you.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Stiles
« Reply #1 on: 20:03:31, 22/09/19 »
Survey completed, Ella. Welcome to the forum.  :)

Here's the link for others wanting to complete the survey - https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/TD27LFK
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:32:54, 23/09/19 »
Wasn't there anther question about stile design a few weeks ago ?

Someone doing a 'design GCSE' and looking at what the problems were and what could be done to make things easier or suggestions about some 'appliance' to assist'.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:33:00, 23/09/19 »
Wasn't there anther question about stile design a few weeks ago ?

Someone doing a 'design GCSE' and looking at what the problems were and what could be done to make things easier or suggestions about some 'appliance' to assist'.
There was

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:37:40, 23/09/19 »
I am never sure which foot to go first with....especially when there are brambles growing all over a stile...a few times I felt as if any minute I will go head first over the stile, when getting my boot tangled up, instead of stepping over..
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:16:21, 23/09/19 »
Depending on which style of stile it is depends on how I tackle them.  As a general rule I climb over them as if I'm mounting a horse (swing my nearest leg out/backwards/over) although this isn't always possible.

Survey done, btw ella_c.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:47:33, 23/09/19 »
I've done the survey too.  8)

I like stiles! Like wooden footbridges that you come across unexpectedly in woodland, I find them a friendly reminder that someone cares - whether it's the landowner, the council or a local walking group.

And I like that they're a confirmation I'm right on the path - I might not have been when I crossed that last field, but I am now!

I like how different areas have their own styles of stile. We walked in the Peak District recently and I loved the stone squeeze stiles. Stone wall steps look great (but can blend in a bit too well), but my favourite is probably the ladder stile: there's one near where I live that's more than six feet high and goes over a wall into a farmyard.

Kissing gates are becoming increasingly popular in Kent, but they're not stiles so I'll say no more about them except that my wife likes them because she's only a little over five feet tall and doesn't much like step stiles, which are our most common type. But we did come across one that she really approved of - the top bar hinged up, which made it very easy for her to step over.

I'll stop now.  ;)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:37:37, 23/09/19 »
I've done the survey too.  8)

I like stiles! Like wooden footbridges that you come across unexpectedly in woodland, I find them a friendly reminder that someone cares - whether it's the landowner, the council or a local walking group.

And I like that they're a confirmation I'm right on the path - I might not have been when I crossed that last field, but I am now!

I like how different areas have their own styles of stile. We walked in the Peak District recently and I loved the stone squeeze stiles. Stone wall steps look great (but can blend in a bit too well), but my favourite is probably the ladder stile: there's one near where I live that's more than six feet high and goes over a wall into a farmyard.

Kissing gates are becoming increasingly popular in Kent, but they're not stiles so I'll say no more about them except that my wife likes them because she's only a little over five feet tall and doesn't much like step stiles, which are our most common type. But we did come across one that she really approved of - the top bar hinged up, which made it very easy for her to step over.

I'll stop now.  ;)
Oh yes those tall stiles...there are a couple near to us in Warwickshire. I too like wooden bridges that span small streams or brooks and with luck surrounded by trees or a copse of some sort, especially on a hot day. It gives time to shelter from the sun, contemplate how good life is, and listen to that babbling brook..

Plus, I do know what you mean about a stile being confirmation of the footpath, when signs are scarce or it`s been quite  while since the last
one.... O0
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:04:31, 23/09/19 »
I much prefer stiles to gates. So many gates I come across are a struggle to open and shut.

ella_c

« Reply #9 on: 21:17:03, 23/09/19 »
Hi again,
Yes - this is part of the first stage of my project for my DT GCSE coursework, due in March 2020. As the first step for my investigation I decided to make a survey to help me, so thank you for all your help and responses which are greatly appreciated.  :) 
It would also be useful to know people's preferred type of stile if possible.
Thank you!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 22:45:08, 23/09/19 »
I prefer ladder stiles.

I dislike squeeze stiles.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 09:06:01, 24/09/19 »
How nice that Ella popped back in to say thank you. Good luck with the DT GCSE.

(I'd already completed the survey)
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 10:17:42, 24/09/19 »
Now that I am older and stiffer after a hard days walking stiles often present me with a problem, the days of just throwing my leg over, followed by the other one is not so easy these days so I tend to make the effort to open gates instead.

Generally, kissing gates are fine, but a few are too enclosed to get through with my rucksack on, I often have to throw my rucksack over, walkthrough and then put it on again.

The ladder types are usually OK, I often just grab upwards, hold on to something secure and pull with my arms and push with my legs, usually no problem at all. The ones with little spring load doors at the top can be tricky sometimes, especially if its a strong spring!

The stiles I hate most are those where the farmer has stretched barbed wire across the top.

The best ones on a warm day are double stiles with about 6' of smooth wooden planking in between, can be ideal for an afternoon sleep.

Pitboot

« Reply #13 on: 11:09:40, 24/09/19 »
I dislike wobbly stiles, you all know what I'm talking about.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 11:26:25, 24/09/19 »
The style below Pen yr Helyg Ddu and Pen Llithrig Y Wrach, above the Eigiau valley, is so rickety that its almost not safe to use.
A lot of the wooden steps are so rotten, that its a wonder of nature that its still standing.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy