Author Topic: dan walks the coast  (Read 3739 times)

Dantheman

dan walks the coast
« on: 05:46:56, 18/11/18 »
For those who chatted about my walk of the UK coast ..I started on the 10/10/18 at Southwold pier and am now on the south coast approaching Eastbourne..I am wild camping and have slept in my bivvy all but 3 nights...you can see some pics on my site danwalksthecoast ..Now over 500 miles I am walking in support of the charity mind and should anyone want to walk along with me or support me in anyway I do post my expected stopping points a few days ahead..Dan

astaman

Re: dan walks the coast
« Reply #1 on: 11:26:38, 18/11/18 »
I'd love to join you Dan but I'm afraid I'm away off route. Rooting for you though and will follow you on your blog. Well done so far. John

Dantheman

« Reply #2 on: 11:52:39, 18/11/18 »
thanks John

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:38:47, 18/11/18 »
All the best Dan.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Dantheman

« Reply #4 on: 16:27:59, 18/11/18 »
Thanks Richard

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:10:28, 18/11/18 »
That is quite an undertaking Dan. It will be an amazing achievement to complete the circuit. Back in 1983 I met a man on Skye who was walking around the coast with his dog. I believe he had started somewhere in the West Country and had already completed the south coast, the east coast plus the north coast of Scotland. He had crossed to Skye 9n the old ferry from Kyle of Lochalsh to Kyleakin and was walking to Armadale to get the ferry to Mallaig. He did this to avoid the Knoydart peninsula, which is very remote.

I will keep an eye on your progress and there may be an opportunity to join up with you when you reach the northeast of Scotland. I wouldn’t recommend getting here in the winter, especially if you are wild camping, as the weather can be brutal.

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:31:02, 18/11/18 »
Clickable link:   https://danwalksthecoast.co.uk/

I was wondering, Dan, what is the significance of the blue and red sections on the map.
Not all those who wander are lost

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:21:42, 18/11/18 »
Following you via your website and FB , hope to walk with you when you reach Liverpool.

Dantheman

« Reply #8 on: 04:54:40, 19/11/18 »
Thanks for your interest guys, Strider, the map shows my early planned route. Natural England is working on a complete coastal route and the red shows some of those section that are already mapped the blue is my attempt at a route using coastal footpaths and roads where possible, so far so good. Pdstsp, hope to see you then. Bigfoot, the plan fingers crossed is to be in Scotland in the milder months, I have also heard midges can be a real problem. I was planning an xmas break if I reached Brighton a week before xmas, however I will pass Brighton in the next few days...
Dan
« Last Edit: 05:01:19, 19/11/18 by Dantheman »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:00:53, 19/11/18 »

Midges can be a big problem on the West and North Coast of Scotland between May and September - even October if it is mild. A tent would be good refuge- especially as some sections are very remote.

When do you think that you will reach the Clyde?
« Last Edit: 17:13:40, 19/11/18 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Dantheman

« Reply #10 on: 18:08:41, 19/11/18 »
A tough call at the moment, I would hope May time, but that's a guess
Dan...

Doddy

« Reply #11 on: 19:36:54, 02/12/18 »
Pete Mears, see The Pale Blue Dot F
acebook Group is currently walking the Coast. He started in Scotland, Dunbar from memory; and has been going over a year and sleeps outside every night. representing several charities. Presently in the Isle of Man because he is doing all the UK coastline.[/color]  
When I did the SWCP I met a couple who were well on their way to completing a coastline walk having started in their home in Wales they had been up to Scotland and around. I saw them in Dorset so they were getting close to home ;-) They reckoned another four months and had been out 18 months. They did not have camping gear with them when I saw them so I think they were using all sorts of accommodation. They said Essex was the biggest challenge as there were so many Estuaries. They did not use ferries.[/color]  

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:41:57, 02/12/18 »

Presently in the Isle of Man because he is doing all the UK coastline.
They did not use ferries.

Its a long swim !!!!

Doddy

« Reply #13 on: 21:30:50, 02/12/18 »
You might be misreading me; the Welsh couple did not use ferries, they were doing the GB coastline. Pete does; he is doing the UK and Ireland coastline. I am not an avid follower; if I am understanding right he goes to Ireland after the Isle of Man. He started a Dunnets Head in Scotland

AFANASIEW

« Reply #14 on: 14:53:07, 03/12/18 »
There's also Billy Dockery's effort here, with updates on Facebook. Good luck to them all - they make my bid to do LEJOG next year look like a stroll in the park!
« Last Edit: 14:59:51, 03/12/18 by AFANASIEW »
It's simple - one foot in front of the other.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy