Author Topic: What would a hiker do if he or she was made homeless?  (Read 2336 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: What would a hiker do if he or she was made homeless?
« Reply #15 on: 14:15:13, 24/12/18 »
I think I would walk as far as one of my kid's houses and ask to stay - after all, I put them up long enough and paid for all that fancy education.  I would probably go to my daughter rather than my son, Cornwall is closer then New Zealand.
Being genuinely homeless doesn't bear thinking about.  I hope I would approach it rationally and allocate resources and effort accordingly.  Shelter first, then warmth, then food.  Water would not be a issue in this weather.
Solvitur Ambulando

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 14:27:36, 24/12/18 »
Phoebe has now raised over £5000  O0

She has past Windshields Crags trig point nearly an hour ago. I'm pleased she is wearing a jacket. It is very cold up here today, must be near freezing where she is.

https://twitter.com/PhoebeRSmith?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Here is her justgiving page.
https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/wanderwoman

As others have said, us lot wild camping is something we do because we like it for a few days. If we had no money and nowhere else to go it would be a different story.
And in case anyone didn't know (not that it's particularly relevant) - Phoebe is an ex- TRAIL magazine writer, so is 'one of us' ..... rather than one of them !
Back to GWM's question - I can't add anything to what has already been so very well stated by our learned colleagues, on the matter of transferable skills.
From the point of the unfortunate homelsess people, I distinctly remember a documentary in which one poor chaps said that one of the biggest negative aspects was being ignored by people. He would prefer people to either acknowledge him or even be rude to him, the latter was at least some form of recognition . But totally ignoring him made him feel worthless and not part of society.
That must weigh heavily on your already fragile mental state, especially when it is continuous.
The whole situation is so bad I daren't even contemplate it, although I nearly always think ' there by the grace (of somebody).... '   It could so easily be us.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 14:57:23, 24/12/18 »
It would depend on why I was homeless.

Financial ruin. I am fortunate to have people who I could turn up on their doorstep and say we needed to stay indefinitely and that would be OK.

Drink/drug addiction. Who knows, I would probably end up dead under a railway arch.

Global apocalypse. Probably no better than anyone else, I think I have the stomach for catching and killing my own food but not necessarily the required skills.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 19:00:15, 25/12/18 »
I think I would walk as far as one of my kid's houses and ask to stay - after all, I put them up long enough and paid for all that fancy education.  I would probably go to my daughter rather than my son, Cornwall is closer then New Zealand.
Being genuinely homeless doesn't bear thinking about.  I hope I would approach it rationally and allocate resources and effort accordingly.  Shelter first, then warmth, then food.  Water would not be a issue in this weather.

Ninthace. Thank you for writing my reply for me almost word for word.  Though Edd is not in new Zealand for another week.  He is sat here with his mum and sister watching Michael Mcintyre. 

Happy Christmas.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 21:56:04, 27/12/18 »
Thanks for posting about this Gwm it has made people think about being homeless.

I hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread again but it is a worthy cause. Phoebe Smith has raised a lot of money for Centrpoint  O0 She was on BBC Breakfast yesterday, what a lovely person she is  O0
https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/wanderwoman
Hate will never win

dave_p

« Reply #20 on: 07:33:10, 02/01/19 »
There's a book:  'The Salt Path' about two people who hike the SWCP in response to being made homeless.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Salt-Path-bestseller-shortlisted-Wainwright/dp/0241349648/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1546414340&sr=8-1&keywords=the+salt+path [nofollow]

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy