Author Topic: Walking in the Rain  (Read 3041 times)

Rigel

Re: Walking in the Rain
« Reply #30 on: 19:09:43, 29/04/20 »

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 20:00:34, 29/04/20 »

And me.  It's absolutely flinging it down here now and I have some new (not so new now) waterproof legs to gear test so I'm off out in it too [happy dance emoji].  I expect my People Count to be zero.  I don't expect to have corned beef legs due to the fact that I've not shaved them for a month but I do already have feral hair. With a bit of luck I'll soon be able to plait it in with my beard and create a face mask...

Rained here today too, but the sun came out as I went for my exercise. Righteousness abounds.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 21:02:20, 29/04/20 »

Rained here today too, but the sun came out as I went for my exercise. Righteousness abounds.
“The rain it raineth on the just
And also on the unjust fella;
But chiefly on the just, because
The unjust hath the just’s umbrella.”
― Charles Bowen
Solvitur Ambulando

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 21:32:04, 29/04/20 »
I don't expect to have corned beef legs due to the fact that I've not shaved them for a month but I do already have feral hair. With a bit of luck I'll soon be able to plait it in with my beard and create a face mask...

;D

PS what is a WMOF and a BCer?  :D

Oh I think I know, Wandering Minstrel of Fulham and Bingo Caller  :-\  ;)
Hate will never win

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 22:00:18, 29/04/20 »
I like piña coladas.

Rigel

« Reply #35 on: 23:51:54, 29/04/20 »
 I can probably understand why some people like walking in the rain, knowing they can dry off afterwards. But continuous rain and no chance of drying out isn't much fun. I should imagine what people really like about rain is  being proofed from it, be it with waterproofs or listening to it whilst inside a tent or against a window.  Walking in the rain and getting wet for a few hours might seem appealing, romantic even, but the appeal would likely fade if there were no end to the rain. Who wants to never dry out? Days and nights being wet through!  I should imagine the protagonists (who all died) in Ray Bradbury's short story The Long Rain probably liked the occasional walk in the rain too. It's a completely different matter when there is no escaping  from being wet.

« Last Edit: 00:05:49, 30/04/20 by Rigel »

Rigel

« Reply #36 on: 00:41:25, 30/04/20 »

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 08:53:06, 30/04/20 »
“The rain it raineth on the just
And also on the unjust fella;
But chiefly on the just, because
The unjust hath the just’s umbrella.”
― Charles Bowen

One of my Mum's favourite sayings (emoji heart with one tear) though she would say 'stole' rather than 'hath'.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 08:58:01, 30/04/20 »

To me mizzle is a very light floaty sort of dampness, a not quite drizzle yet more than mist
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 11:02:38, 30/04/20 »
If I remember correctly, Robert Louise Stevenson also wrote the word mizzle in 'Travels with a Donkey in the Cevenne.' I'll look it up later to see what sort of rain he was experiencing at the time. Rain is very varied, the type I dislike is when it's very cold rain, heavy drops and very windy and when you have to walk directly into it! I experienced a different once-only type of rain in the Lakes when hiking the Cumbria Way and had reached the shore of Lake Coniston when it started. There was no wind that morning, the clouds above me became really dark and they were so low and heavy and I felt I could almost touch them. There came a point when the rain seemed to come down almost in one go, it was intense, the rain really heavy and vertical and also warm as well and it pounded on my head for more than an hour.  That day for me was most unusual and I've never experienced rain like this since.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 13:01:52, 30/04/20 »
Waterproof legs gear test = passed.  People Count = zero (as predicted).

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 13:36:56, 30/04/20 »
Good news Mel - they should come in useful next time you walk up Red Screes O0

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 14:50:13, 30/04/20 »
Given the dry spell we've had since I bought them, I wish I'd bought them before Red Screes  ;D

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 20:12:58, 30/04/20 »
I posted a query on here some while ago about reproofing my Gore-Tex jacket because raindrops were soaking into the material. And then I forgot about it.

This Tuesday I was reminded when I wore it to walk to the supermarket for bread in very light rain. On my return home I looked online and then read the wash care label, then I put the jacket in the washing machine set on a synthetics programme at 40C, with extra rinses and 'iron dry' (it is an electronic washer-dryer) and a measure of Ecover Delicates liquid.

At the end of the cycle I was a bit alarmed at how hot the jacket was, but no harm appeared to be done, and I was able to test it this morning by standing in the garden in it during a heavy shower, when the water droplets satisfyingly beaded on the surface.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy