Author Topic: The best of Landscape Photographer of the Year 2012  (Read 8219 times)

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
The best of Landscape Photographer of the Year 2012The annual competition to highlight the best amateur and professional landscape photographers in Britain has provided the usual array of spectacular, inspiring images. The 2012 exhibition of winning and commended entries will be held at London's National Theatre for eight weeks from November 12. The awards, along with a book of the same name, celebrate 'the landscapes of the United Kingdom...  from salt marshes, chalk cliffs and ancient woodland, to historic villages, parklands and cityscapes'.http://uk.news.yahoo.com/photos/the-best-of-landscape-photographer-of-the-year-2012-1351510153-slideshow/#crsl=%252Fphotos%252Fthe-best-of-landscape-photographer-of-the-year-2012-1351510153-slideshow%252Flindisfarne-northumberland-david-byrne-s-said-his-captivating-image-which-was-the-overall-winner-photo--1404885716.html

Glyno

• Veteran Member
Re: The best of Landscape Photographer of the Year 2012
« Reply #1 on: 19:45:09, 29/10/12 »
there's been a fair amount of controversy though, because that winning photo by David Byrne appears to be a complete rip-off of this one by Peter Clark:

http://www.monolandscapes.talktalk.net/lindisfarne.htm

judge for yourself

Nearly there

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:40:29, 29/10/12 »
Maybe it's my monitor but I think it needs a touch more contrast ............ it hasn't got any punch !

Derek

Nearly there

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 06:49:00, 30/10/12 »
there's been a fair amount of controversy though, because that winning photo by David Byrne appears to be a complete rip-off of this one by Peter Clark:

http://www.monolandscapes.talktalk.net/lindisfarne.htm

judge for yourself

It looks to be a completely different picture............... taken from different angle !
And the pic you gave the link is really awful in every way...............in  my opinion.   :)

Derek

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:36:41, 30/10/12 »

It looks to be a completely different picture............... taken from different angle !
And the pic you gave the link is really awful in every way...............in  my opinion.   :)

Well yes, obviously it's a different photograph Derek  :) ......but I think Glyno meant that it's not 'original', in the sense that it's been done before.
Whether David Byrne was aware of that, I guess we'll never know.

Photographers (professional or otherwise) often choose the same subject matter for their shots. We all know it happens, quite regularly!  It doesn't necessarily mean that their shots can't be entered into competitions though.

The two shots above are pretty similar - but when so many other folk have photographed that scene, albeit from differing angles, it would be pretty hard for judges to exclude any one photograph from a competition because it's too similar to another one.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=upturned+boats+at+Lindisfarne&rlz=1C1LDJZ_enGB499GB499&sugexp=chrome,mod%3D0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=1Y-PUJGFKsix0AWw4oGgAw&biw=1366&bih=643&sei=5Y-PUJuqMsGt0QWWwYGYBw

Tracey :)

***Happiness is only a smile away***

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:00:57, 30/10/12 »
Well composed photos but I much prefer David Byrne's effort, in my opinion anyway.

roll on the weekend

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:11:35, 30/10/12 »
Looking at more of the photos from the link Glyno provided, I cannot make my mind up, they have a almost pencil drawn feel to them at time I am just not sure if I like the look or not.
http://www.monolandscapes.talktalk.net/england.htm :-\

Nearly there

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:47:49, 30/10/12 »

Well yes, obviously it's a different photograph Derek  :) ......but I think Glyno meant that it's not 'original', in the sense that it's been done before.
Whether David Byrne was aware of that, I guess we'll never know.

Photographers (professional or otherwise) often choose the same subject matter for their shots. We all know it happens, quite regularly!  It doesn't necessarily mean that their shots can't be entered into competitions though.

The two shots above are pretty similar - but when so many other folk have photographed that scene, albeit from differing angles, it would be pretty hard for judges to exclude any one photograph from a competition because it's too similar to another one.

Tracey :)

Yes, I know that Tracey  :)    ................ so why even mention being "ripped off" from someone else !

I don't suppose there are many landscape pictures (scenes) that haven't already been "done" .............. so everyone is guilty  :)   ;)

That second pic is still awful !  ;D

Derek

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 13:12:30, 30/10/12 »

Derek

the controversy has been amongst photography circles, not something I've personally picked up on.

I wasn't saying I liked or disliked either photo, I was just pointing out that there had been rumblings and murmerings amongst certain photographic groups on the uncanny similarity of the two photos.

I wasn't particularly interested in your opinion, Derek.
« Last Edit: 13:20:07, 30/10/12 by Glyno »

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:15:59, 30/10/12 »
Here are the two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT images, which, according to DEREK, look COMPLETELY DIFFERENT, and taken from COMPLETELY DIFFERENT angles.

Chalk and cheese, Derek  ;)

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:09:31, 30/10/12 »
I prefer the top one and I've not looked at whose it is.

In the daylight it looks completely different and very ordinary - beauty in the eye of the beholder.

I suppose many classic scenes have been shot many times from the same spot by many people, and some get lucky with the prevailing light conditions - no not lucky, their perseverance is rewarded O0

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 15:49:32, 30/10/12 »
I too, much prefer the top one, the overall quality is far superior, but the lower one might have suffered by inferior reproduction on the website from which I saw it.

The bottom one has probably been posted at a lower resolution.

I do think that the composition, position from which the shot was taken, direction of shadows etc in both photos are very similar.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:58:50, 30/10/12 »

I do think that the composition, position from which the shot was taken, direction of shadows etc in both photos are very similar.

Yes, I agree - so in this instance, I can see why David's photograph raised some questions.
There are loads of images of the boats at Lindisfarne on the Google link I posted, but none of them come close to being a prefect match like the 'original' Peter Clark one does.

***Happiness is only a smile away***

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:03:52, 30/10/12 »
Here are the two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT images, which, according to DEREK, look COMPLETELY DIFFERENT, and taken from COMPLETELY DIFFERENT angles.

Chalk and cheese, Derek  ;)

These are two separate photos of the same area, the cloud is different in both, one has items between the two boats the other has items at the side of one boat and the are more things different between the two. It does look like someone went there to try to recreate the first picture some what. But it is only my opinion...

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:53:13, 30/10/12 »
Just as a point of interest, The Sunday Times published winning photos from other categories but decided not to publish David Byrne's.

It was only after winning the competition that Byrne 'admitted': “We went to Holy Island for the night, to visit the famous boat houses and castle of Lindisfarne. I’ve been waiting for a year to do this after seeing Peter Clarke’s great version of it. I hope I’ve done it justice.”
Hmmm... sounds a little bit like plagiarism to me.

some more opinion here: http://www.alexnail.com/blog/news-updates/lpoty-2012/

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy