Author Topic: Ben Nevis Via CMD From North Face Carpark  (Read 4077 times)

RedKMan

Ben Nevis Via CMD From North Face Carpark
« on: 15:58:49, 04/02/17 »
Hi,

I will be hiking Ben Nevis in August via CMD and have decided to start from the North Face car park.  My understanding is there are two options, one straight up the main path to the CIC hut and then onto Carn Mor Dearg.  The other follows a boggy path left towards Carn Beag Dearg soon after coming out of the forest.

I can plot the first option from the CIC hut because the path is on the OS Explorer map however I am struggling to work out grid coordinates and bearings because the boggy path is not on the map.  I just need a rough idea of when this boggy path veers of the main Allt a Mhuilinn path, grid coordinates and bearings so I can put together some sort of route card.  I also believe this second option whilst longer is less steep.

I have climbed Snowden many times via Miner's, Pyg and Watkins and Scafell via Mickledore although I am aware Ben Nevis is a tough climb.

Thanks,

Pura Vida

Re: Ben Nevis Via CMD From North Face Carpark
« Reply #1 on: 16:31:57, 04/02/17 »
Whilst I'm unable to offer any detail I would like to deter you from heading up from the CIC hut. I did it this year and it is tough, no path to speak of, a few bits that peter out, steep, sustained steep.

IMO the other approach will be less steep and a more enjoyable route. I didn't enjoy that part of my route onto CMD that day in september.

Enjoy.
Show a man a route then he will have an Adventure; Teach a man to navigate then he will have many adventures

snoopdawg

« Reply #2 on: 19:49:20, 04/02/17 »
These two photographs taken in March last year might just illustrate the slopes for you. On the first the CIC hut is just about on the snowline and the slopes to the left are the slopes to CMD. I've done that before and it is a steep relentless pull of about 2000feet.

IMGP0042.

The second photo shows the slopes  leading towards Carn Beag Dearg. As you can see they are not as steep. I,ve walked into the corrie a few times and haven't seen the start of the path but as its Scotland sometimes you just make your own way and pick up the path higher up

IMGP0057

Hope that helps.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:36:31, 06/02/17 »
The walk up and down from the North Face carpark is a pain.

When you reach the upper car park there is a stile, the CMD path is on the left of the main path after approx 200-300 metres and easy to miss.

The best landmark is a spaced group of stunted trees, if you go past the trees you have gone too far.

By far the best way to do Ben Nevis is to get the key to the forestry roads and drive to the upper car park this cuts about 2 hours off the walk.
« Last Edit: 11:39:51, 06/02/17 by midweekmountain »

- Dave -

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:27:55, 29/03/17 »
I'm also looking to do Ben Nevis from the north face CP, heading up the slopes of Carn Beag Dearg. I'm a confident and fit walker but still have a couple of questions:

Generally, in late April, will snow / ice be a factor on the arête or any of the steep slopes that I'd be climbing? Would I need my axe and crampons or maybe just an axe? I know this is very dependant on the weather preceding weather but a general would be useful

What sort of time should I be starting to complete the walk in the daylight - I've seen around 10 hours mooted so I'd look to get going in the early hours ~8am probably.

Any other advice appreciated

I'm on the internet!

Check out my blog here:

http://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.co.uk

214/214 Wainwrights

Pura Vida

« Reply #5 on: 11:44:24, 29/03/17 »
There will be a strong chance that there will be snow on the Arete in late April, and pretty much guaranteed on the Ben summit. As you say a lot will depend on the prevailing weather conditions. Best to take the Ice Axe and Crampons with you to FW and decide on the day.

In late September there was an half hour whiteout on top of the Ben.

Timewise my route from the centre of FW, Lochan Meall an t-Suidhe, CIC hut, CMD, Arete, Ben sumit, return to centre of FW by Tourist route took 12 hours. Your route is much shorter and should take much less time.

Enjoy

Robin.
Show a man a route then he will have an Adventure; Teach a man to navigate then he will have many adventures

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:38:25, 29/03/17 »
Hi RedKman

We came down the path Midweekmountain suggests last year and apart from it being steep and relentless like most scottish mountains it was very boggy the bottom two thirds.

Looking up what will be your ascent route

Hi Dave

23rd April last year and it still had coverage and frozen, we had crampons and ice axe but passed a few people without them. I was happier wearing them in some of the sections even though i touched rock a few times and espeically the descent from the Ben which will be your ascent.

Looking back along the arete from CBD

« Last Edit: 15:24:59, 29/03/17 by Rhino »
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

- Dave -

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:39:23, 29/03/17 »
Cheers Rhino, gives a better sense of what to expect - are you coming to Buttermere in a couple of weeks? I'll probably pick your brain a bit if you are
I'm on the internet!

Check out my blog here:

http://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.co.uk

214/214 Wainwrights

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:19:16, 29/03/17 »
Yes Dave and no problem  O0
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

domtheone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:20:47, 31/03/17 »
Love the view from that last pic. O0

Maybe next year again :smitten:

If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy