Author Topic: Is it just bad manners?  (Read 2910 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Is it just bad manners?
« on: 19:51:44, 27/06/19 »
When hiking (and at home too) I have to admit I do get irritated when I start to talk someone and they are wearing dark sunglasses, or those mirror type dark glasses and they don't take them off as we speak. I personally like to see a whole face myself, eyes included. I've never had the confidence to tell them how I feel but sometimes I am sorely tempted!

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Re: Is it just bad manners?
« Reply #1 on: 20:25:38, 27/06/19 »
Well if I took my sunglasses off to talk to you, I wouldn't be able to see very well as they're prescription ones!
I suspect there are a lot of folk in the same position.
It's hardly practical for someone to stand there changing into ordinary prescription glasses just to make you happy!

To be honest, I don't necessarily think it would enter the head of a sunglasses wearer to take them off when speaking to someone, unless that someone (who they were speaking to) was rather important in some way and the sunglasses wearer felt that it was more appropriate to make eye contact.

And another thing.....not everyone feels comfortable with eye contact at close range.  It may simply be a confidence thing and nothing at all to do with bad manners :)

***Happiness is only a smile away***

Pitboot

« Reply #2 on: 20:51:19, 27/06/19 »
Same here, prescription sunglasses. I don't mind if anyone talks to me wearing their sunglasses. A lot of people never respond to even a "hello" when I'm out and about but the wife and I just laugh it off.

There's nowt so strange as folk GWM.

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:39:03, 27/06/19 »
Only at night Reg  8) ;)
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:45:12, 27/06/19 »
I nearly always take my sunglasses off when talking to a stranger.  Agree it's the polite thing to do, if you can.  No issues with folk who don't though.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:46:09, 27/06/19 »
I am always aware of the possible offense I'm causing, but I too would be spending ages changing in to my other pair of glasses to continue the conversation while still being able to see if I did take them off.

I also know a couple of people who can't afford the UV exposure taking their shades off would mean.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:46:45, 27/06/19 »
If it's only a hello,nice day, where are you from/going, etc, which is about as much as you usually get on a walk, who cares. If it's an in depth discussion about marrying your daughter, the intricacies of Brexit, etc, then I might hope someone would remove their sunglasses but if they don't, I like to think Ihave enough of a life not to get too worried about it.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 23:10:35, 27/06/19 »
When hiking (and at home too) I have to admit I do get irritated when I start to talk someone and they are wearing dark sunglasses, or those mirror type dark glasses and they don't take them off as we speak. I personally like to see a whole face myself, eyes included. I've never had the confidence to tell them how I feel but sometimes I am sorely tempted!
Would you get irritated if someone stayed sat in a wheelchair when you talked to them,
Some People wear sunglasses for eye protection, against hay fever for instance, I wear my eye protection even when it's raining, I have several eye conditions,,
Not all disabilities are as obvious as someone sat in a wheelchair  O0

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 05:46:12, 28/06/19 »

Not all disabilities are as obvious as someone sat in a wheelchair  O0

Same as the abuse people with Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) get after exiting a disabled toilet by the public. >:(

Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 07:01:12, 28/06/19 »

Same as the abuse people with Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) get after exiting a disabled toilet by the public. >:(
Disabled toilet rage :o
I’ve witnessed this before jontea, even some disabled people need educating about other disabilities that are not obvious and can’t be seen

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 07:35:28, 28/06/19 »
'Ordinary' sunglasses are ok but I really dislike the mirrored ones. It's like being interrogated when the light shines back into my eyes. If my own image is reflected back then it's worse, like talking to myself in the mirror (which I normally only do when alone).
« Last Edit: 09:37:42, 28/06/19 by Jac »
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 07:56:05, 28/06/19 »
I won't be taking my sunglasses off in the next few days. Mine are used as pollen barriers. Sorry GWM you will have to think I am bad mannered  :)

The pollen is very high even though it has been put on the banned list twice  ;)
Hate will never win

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:28:31, 28/06/19 »
...I have to admit I do get irritated when I start to talk someone and they are wearing dark sunglasses, or those mirror type dark glasses and they don't take them off as we speak.

Extraordinary!  8). It's the first time I've heard of that idea, is it a common sentiment?. Admittedly I'd be the last to know if it was. I agree the mirrored ones give an odd impression, I'm not sure how they work either.

And another thing.....not everyone feels comfortable with eye contact at close range.  It may simply be a confidence thing and nothing at all to do with bad manners :)

Or, if you are somewhat aspy like me, can barely make eye contact at all under almost any circumstances, a (fairly) well known characteristic.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 08:57:19, 28/06/19 »

I also know a couple of people who can't afford the UV exposure taking their shades off would mean.

That goes for me too.  I have some cholesterol deposits in my left eye caused by over exposure to UV.  My sunglasses now have high spec lenses in them to prevent further damage.
I wear them even when it's bright but not particularly sunny, as my eyes are quite sensitive to light.
***Happiness is only a smile away***

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 09:20:18, 28/06/19 »
I don't wear sunglasses, I expect "Sir" Philip Green does and it wouldn't take them off if he was speaking to likes of I.

Extraordinary!  8) . It's the first time I've heard of that idea, is it a common sentiment?.
I suppose I recognize the opposite.

One of those fads that came over with the yanks during the war, like being judged by the size of your wad and chewing gum. Boys at school, who wore them were marked down as 'Pseudo's', probably the sons of parents, who gave them too much pocket money and were not of those, who had to supplement they financial conduct by more imaginative ways.

Of course it is a lifestyle accoutrement that has gone through a reversal, smoking was said to clear the tubes, of those 1950's attitudes I did not take to smoking, but every pair of sunglasses my wife has bought me over the years seem to get lost.
So I don't know if I wore them if I would still see that hare flatten it's ears in it's form at 200 yds.
« Last Edit: 09:39:43, 28/06/19 by barewirewalker »
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy